Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pluckyflamingo Posts: 220, Reputation: 17

Apr 21, 2009, 07:57 AM
    Same Sex Marriage
    In this day and age there has been the issue of same sex marriages and should they be legalized.

There are so many reasonings to both sides everyone already knows what they are I am not here to argue about that.

I myself prefer the opposite sex. It is just the way I was born and raised. No offense to anyone else. I am not here hating gay people at all. I have gay friends.

The way I see it is marriage is between two people of the opposite sex. Marriage has a lot to do about religion and to same same sex marriage contradicts that.

I know other than the getting married because you love some reason, there is the you get special rights between two people when you are married.

My question is for all the people who are fighting for the Same Sex Marriages Law. Why don't you fight for something similar to marriage. What I mean by this is create a new law that allows same sex couples to get all the same rights as a married couple. And call it something else. For example lets just call it getting united. That way it is "Getting United" but still meaning "Getting Married"

That way the religious people get there comfort zone and the same sex couples get there own.

It is just an idea that I have been thinking about for awhile and was just curious about other peoples input.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2009, 08:02 AM

I can see your point but I think some people would call changing the title of the rite *selling out*.
    Sadly,there will always be people who will feel that any same sex union is a sin and your just can't change their mind ,no matter what label you put on it.
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2009, 02:09 PM

You could have a civil ceremony between same sex people who wish to be together,

You will never change the meaning or union between a man and a woman which is called marriage... for this is how it was meant to be.

It could never apply to same sex couples as meaning... marriage.

This could only apply... to one man united with one woman.

There could be something similar as we've already stated but it will not be recognized as a marriage in any sense of the word or it's meaning.

It represents the foundation of moral family values held throughout the world anything less would never be recognized in the eyes of God.

I can fully understand the problem that same sex relationships have when they love each other and just want to be together, but sadly the ways of the world are not about to change to accommodate what some see as unnatural and immoral behaviour.

Over the years I have had several encounters with people of this persuasion, some I have worked with, some have just been customers but I can truthfully say that they have been very kind and caring people, like anyone else.

This should be addressed once and for all by law and decided if there is a compromise that can be agreed upon to suit all concerned.

Ceremony... yes

Marriage... no
    lighterrr Posts: 1,415, Reputation: 72
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2009, 03:16 PM

I am not gay, but I do believe that people of the same sex should be able to get married and share the same rights as married "men and women". I think its so unfair that same sex marriages are not recognized on a global scale. They should not have to get a civil ceremony to show there commitment to each other, plain and simple their union should also be called a marriage.

That's my problem with organized religion it brings so much division and judgements to others that don't share the same beliefs. Imagine a world where people just believed in one God as the creator and nothing else. Hmm I think their would be more unity among man.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2009, 05:46 PM

That in the US, marriage is a legal matter mostly the concern of the IRS. What people's moral issues with it are irrelavant. It is simply a matter of taxes, SSI benefits and a few other support and legal issues.
    pathisfer Posts: 94, Reputation: 22

Apr 24, 2009, 05:56 PM
    Because homosexuals want to be treated like everyone else. Calling it something other than "marriage" is like telling a minority they can't use the same restroom as you. Or, if you're really liberal, they can use the same restroom but must refer to it as "outhouse" so there is a clear hierarchy of importance established.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2009, 06:16 PM

I think that the marriage ceremony it being a religious function and being based on the bible. How God made a man and women to come together and cleave to one another. I think that the marriage through the church should be left that way.

Now civil unions, unions by the court house. It is different. Anybody who wants to be united regardless, can be united if they want.

I am not hateful towards anyone at all but I do not think the meaning of marriage should be changed within the church, but outside of the church since the laws are changing. Uniting people of all would be up to the state, civil union is different.
    lighterrr Posts: 1,415, Reputation: 72
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2009, 11:44 PM

What also bugs me the most, because of the double standard same sex couples face it's hard for them to get pensions and sometimes benefits form thir partners jobs, which to me again is so unfair. i.e couples that have been together for 20,30 years etc. when one partner dies the other is left with nothing.Come on, that's just not right.

This life to me is all about love, which is not widely spread when we reject our fellow man. If two people love each other they should be able to have the title of marriage to their union period.

By the way I am not gay
    logicalthinker Posts: 58, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2009, 12:56 AM

I am completely pro same sex unions. I feel that if two people have committed themselves to each other, they should have the same government rights as any other couple. This is where seperations of church and state is soooo important. The government shouldn't have anything to do with marriage. Marriage is a religious ceremony. Whether it is allowed or not, should be up to each individual religion. I believe that any 2 adults that want to enter a civil union should be allowed to. I don't think the government should recognize marriage anymore than they recognize a baptism. 2 people get married in a church, then the government can recognize that as a civil union. 2 people go to the courthouse, the government recognizes it as a civil union. If only life was that simple.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2009, 05:23 PM

This issue done been discussed so many times and lead to some heated debates. Here are 2 and you can find more in the member discussion boards or start one there if you dare. Everything goes there and you hear from both sides, people against it and for it.

I am all for it and must admit that the gay/lesbian community have some good leaders so a change will come soon. And keep in mind people running for senators,etc will do anything for votes at any cost and will push for same sex marriages in any state.

Oh, here are the links and they are pretty heated.
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/issues...ce-287640.html

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/issues...an-275800.html
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 26, 2009, 05:48 PM

Marriage has a lot to do about religion and to same same sex marriage contradicts that
    This is where most people go wrong.

Marriage doesn't have anything to do with religion, it is a legal union between two people.

When people start bringing God into the equation instead of looking at the people involved, that's when things get sticky.

Religion is a right, a freedom we all have, do or don't. Marriage is also a right, yet the religious people don't want everyone to have that right.

You have to separate your religious beliefs from what is right for all mankind.

How would you feel if someone said "You shouldn't be allowed to practice your religion because it contradicts my beliefs?"
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 26, 2009, 06:32 PM

In the US and many other countries, the government has taken the right and the authority to govern marriage. In those nations the state issued marriage license has nothing to do with religion or moral values, it is basically a license issued by the state to give certain rights to those parties.

The church does not have to view state marriages as valid to the church for reasons of church teaching

Of course it is if and when the government would start to force the church to follow moral rules different, then that government has to be over thrown, part of the reasons America was founded to start with.

I will disagree , marriage is not a right, it is not even a National ( in the US) issue, it is a legal issue given to the state. The Federal Government if they interfere with the rights of the state, then they again over step their authority

A state when done though proper vote of the people, or by legal vote of their state government, has a right to make marriage anything they want. The state courts do not have that right.
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2009, 03:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    In the US and many other countries, the goverment has taken the right and the authority to govern marriage. In those nations the state issued marriage license has nothing to do with religion or moral values, it is basicly a license issued by the state to give certain rights to those parties.

The church does not have to view state marriages as valid to the church for reasons of church teaching

Of course it is if and when the goverment would start to force the church to follow moral rules different, then that government has to be over thrown, part of the reasons America was founded to start with.

I will disagree , marriage is not a right, it is not even a National ( in the US) issue, it is a legal issue given to the state. The Federal Goverment if they interfere with the rights of the state, then they again over step thier authority

A state when done though proper vote of the people, or by legal vote of thier state government, has a right to make marriage anything they want. The state courts do not have that right.

Why should the people have a vote on an issue that does not affect them? How does what another couple do affect you in the slightest? I believe this is a national issue because where one lives should not govern their rights.
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2009, 04:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76 View Post
    I think that the marriage ceremony it being a religious function and being based on the bible. How God made a man and women to come together and cleave to one another. I think that the marriage through the church should be left that way.

Now civil unions, unions by the court house. It is different. Anybody who wants to be united regardless, can be united if they want.

I am not hateful towards anyone at all but I do not think the meaning of marriage should be changed within the church, but outside of the church since the laws are changing. Uniting people of all would be up to the state, civil union is different.
    So by this argument, if I don't believe in God... or YOUR brand of God... I cannot marry my fiancée? We have to get a civil union instead?
    Pets Expert

Apr 27, 2009, 08:38 AM

Steve, come to Canada, gay marriage is legal here. :)

I've said it once, I'll say it again. We cannot include God in this, this has nothing to do with religion or God.

No one is forcing any church to perform a marriage ceremony, we're just asking that all people have the same rights, gay, straight, whatever.

Once you start segregating people it's only a matter of time before they come after you for something. Do we really want to live in a world where we ostracize certain groups just because we can? What happened to freedom, or is that just a dream?
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2009, 08:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Steve, come to Canada, gay marriage is legal here. :)

I've said it once, I'll say it again. We cannot include God in this, this has nothing to do with religion or God.

No one is forcing any church to perform a marriage ceremony, we're just asking that all people have the same rights, gay, straight, whatever.

Once you start segregating people it's only a matter of time before they come after you for something. Do we really want to live in a world where we ostracize certain groups just because we can? What happened to freedom, or is that just a dream?
    Yeah - but they also have Canadians there. ;)

Plus, I am not gay so I can get married here in FL. I just think that it sucks that if someone else wanted to they might not be allowed to.
    Pets Expert

Apr 27, 2009, 08:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    Yeah - but they also have Canadians there. ;)

Plus, I am not gay so I can get married here in FL. I just think that it sucks that if someone else wanted to they might not be allowed to.
    I'm Canadian, sort of. :eek:

It does suck that just because someone loves what others think is the "wrong gender" they can't have the same rights as everyone else.

Maybe we should ban marriage all together, see what happens then.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2009, 09:50 AM

I know the church I attend wouldn't mind marrying a gay couple if it was allowed where I lived. We have a few same sex couples where I attend. I wish could get married like every other couple.

It is ashamed that in today's world there's so many labels. In today's world there are so many other things to focus on instead of telling someone they can't get married just because of their gay or a lesiban. Wrong!
    hieglkd Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Jun 20, 2011, 02:56 PM

Naming a union something other than "marriage" does not do justice to the "union". There are many church-going gay couples that would want to be married in a church. It just may not be YOUR church, but it's still a church and a marriage. Nothing is different just because you're the same gender. The union has just as much meaning and significance as that of a "marriage" and should be considered as such.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2011, 12:04 PM

This thread is from 2009 and has been discussed more recently.

You might want to find a more active thread and post there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Marriage twice [ 6 Answers ]

I was maried in Texas and I went to vegas to get married even thought I was still married we came back to Texas and than I left to California am I still married to the one in vegas even thought the divorce in Texas happen one year later after I got married in vegas

Love marriage or arrange marriage? [ 6 Answers ]

I have boyfriend but my parents want that I will do marriage with a boy of their choice.I really love my Boyfriend and he also love me. What should I do?

Is my marriage going to last? [ 1 Answers ]

Is my marriage going to last?

International Marriage in military.. Could Divorce... What do I do to save our marriage [ 7 Answers ]

My husband is in Germany serving the US Army and since November 14, 2005 he has been gone. I was supposed to go over there with him but yet to go. He says that he wants a divorce and when I try to get the real true reason out of him nothing works all he says is that I know why but deep down I have...

Marriage [ 6 Answers ]

I found out soon after my husband and I had a baby that he was intimately talking with one of his ex's basically telling her that he wished she had his baby instead of me and also leading her to believe that he was going to leave me for her. He also had contacted another ex saying that he loved...

View more questions Search