Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    myfathersdaughter Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2006, 11:40 AM
    How much pipe thread tape to use?
    Yikes. I was installing the tub spout and the copper stub-out was way too long.
    I measure and measured again and cut it too short. It doesn't extend far enough
    Into the spout to seal. Can I use silicone or something? What others options
    To I have? The spout is the type you described in a forum I was reading: chrome
    Over plastic spout that secures with a screw. The brand is Danze if that helps
    At all.
    Thanks for any advice.

If the stubout's too short for the set screw to bite into the copper stubout then you have a major problem. (1) you can open up the wall and solder in a new 1/2" copper stub out or (2) you can cut the stubout back far enough cold solder on a 1/2" copper to male thread adapter so about about 3/8ths" of threads stick out beyond the tile and install a metal screw on spout

How many times around the pipe should I go with the tape to make sure a shower arm won't leak but that it isn't so tight that I can't turn the shower arm around enough times to disappear the threads into the receiving pipe? Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 17, 2006, 11:59 AM
    One or two turns against the direction of the threads ought to do it.

Good luck on both. Tom

Sep 17, 2006, 12:30 PM
    I used just two rounds of tape and it started okay but it still got too tight for me and the shower arm got stuck at the wrong angle. So I tried to use a pliers near the wall so it wouldn't show if I scratched the chrome and I even used some rubbery drawer liner to keep the plier threads from being directly against the chrome but I slipped because it was so tight and scratched the chrome. Now I can't move it either direction. Is it time to call a plumber or what?

Sep 17, 2006, 12:34 PM
    The stub-out protrudes 1 inch from the wall so it does go into the spout and I could tighten the screw but it doesn't go far enough to slide through the O ring and it leaks at the wall. Will tightening the screw tighten the spout around the pipe and stop the leak? I thought it was just to keep it in place.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 17, 2006, 01:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by myfathersdaughter
    I used just two rounds of tape and it started out okay but it still got too tight for me and the shower arm got stuck at the wrong angle. so I tried to use a pliers near the wall so it wouldn't show if I scratched the chrome and I even used some rubbery drawer liner to keep the plier threads from being directly against the chrome but I slipped because it was so tight and scratched the chrome. now I can't move it either direction. is it time to call a plumber or what?
    "is it time to call a plumber" Not yet. Remove the showerhead and stick a screwdriver in the pipe for leverage. Because there's not much pressure on a shower arm thread it doesn't have to be super tight. If you can't turn it any more clockwise back it off a turn and try it, Cheers Tom
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 17, 2006, 02:16 PM
    QUOTE=myfathersdaughter]the stub-out protrudes 1 inch from the wall so it does go into the spout and I could tighten the screw but it doesn't go far enough to slide through the O ring and it leaks at the wall. Will tightening the screw tighten the spout around the pipe and stop the leak? I thought it was just to keep it in place.[/QUOTE]

It is just to keep it in place. Yiu might not be in as much trouble as you think you are. I've got a hunch that you've pushed the "O" ring out of place. Check the spout,(see image) and if the "O" ring's out of place place it back where it should be. It should be just ahead of the set screw.
    "O" rings have a nasty habit of hanging up on the rough edges of the copper pipe. Take and file off the burrs and rough edges. Now coat the "O" ring with a little Vasoline or petroleum jellyand see if it goes on now. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad Tape Job [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had a chance to by a fixer upper and noticed that the dry wall joints had been badly taped and could be seen through the paint and/or falling off all together. What is the best way to handle this?

Paneling Seam Tape [ 2 Answers ]

I have put up some new paneling and most of it looks really good, but there are a few seams that show up. My brother told me about using seam tape that matches my paneling, I cannot find this, Lowe's & home depot thought I was on drugs when I asked. Can any one point me to a website or a store that...

Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in early 70's.. No plastic.. I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall.. I needed a longer one. It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe.. I...

Recording a cassette tape... [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a way to record a cassette tape onto the computer and then putting that recorded song on a blank cd via cd-burner? Thanks

View more questions Search