Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cedessam123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2009, 08:03 PM
    Probability can you tell me how to solve this
    A sample of 4 different calculators is randomly selected from a group containing 15 that are defective and 30 that have no defects. What is the probability that at least one of the calculators is defective?:confused:
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2009, 08:32 PM

I think that the calculation is as follows:-

45*44*43*42 / 4*3*2*1
    = 15*11*43*21
    = 148,995 to one
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2009, 04:22 AM

Basically, you have to calculate the probability of having all non defective. Then, subtract that probability from 1, that's your answer!

Here, you are eliminating all the cases where you have all non defective calculators. The remaining possibilities include 1, 2 or 3 non defective calculators.
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2009, 05:38 AM
    As Unknown said, The best way to handle an "at least one" problem to to find the probability of none and subtract from 1.

In order to have no defects, we select 4 from the no defect pile and 0 from the defect pile.

Another way:

Sometimes the LaTex displays wacky even when the code is OK. That last one should be 27/42.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2009, 10:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by galactus View Post
    As Unknown said, The best way to handle an "at least one" problem to to find the probability of none and subtract from 1.

In order to have no defects, we select 4 from the no defect pile and 0 from the defect pile.

Another way:

Sometimes the LaTex displays wacky even when the code is OK. That last one should be 27/42.
    Ok, here it is:

Just put a space, not that it changes anything in the display but it corrects the 'wacky'.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Solve [(86400*n^2)/2^n]<1 solve n [ 3 Answers ]

Could you Please solve this problem <1 solve n

How to solve this probability? [ 5 Answers ]

Okay - this isn't homework. I took statistics and let's just say although it wasn't pretty, I passed. My boss asked me to solve this probability question back when I was taking stats and I could never figure it out. He wants to know the probability for a bowling raffle he is in every year. ...

Solve the probability [ 1 Answers ]

Hello could any one help me in this?? / the following table shows the distribution of blood types in the general population A B AB O TOTAL Rh+ 34% 9% 4% 38% 85% Rh- 6% 2% 1% 6% 15%

Can't solve [ 1 Answers ]

a student fails to study for a 9 question true/false test. What is the probability of him getting 5 answers correct? the answer is 63/256. how is that the answer??

Can you solve this for me? [ 3 Answers ]

what is 2x+4y=12 x+y=2 :)

View more questions Search