Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RinTinTin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2009, 04:30 PM
    Unauthorized Negotiations by Union
    I am a member of a collective bargaining unit in New York State that has been horribly mismanaged. The union's by laws are very specific about the requirements for a duly constituted negotiating board (most importantly a quorum of 7 out of 9 board members).

For the longest time two seats had been vacant after board members resigned. In March a third board member resigned bringing the number of people down to 6 making them no longer duly constituted. On top of that all incumbent's terms had expired 12/31/08 and there have been no elections. In short they have been playing fast and loose with the by laws and now - I suspect - federal law.

This defacto board ignored vehement calls from membership to hold elections immediately. The 6 individuals on that defacto board then proceeded to negotiate with management to have our pay reduced by 10% after management made a request to re-open the contract. We were informed they had reached an agreement with management, a vote on the measure was rushed through and conducted via the internet polling too Zoomerang and today we were informed by one of the 6 defacto board members that it was adopted.

I maintained all along and with 30 other co-workers have maintained for months (and put it in writing to them) that this defacto board had no authorization to negotiate or speak with management on our behalf. They did anyway.

What is our recourse in this situation? Can we get an injunction to halt the pay cuts? How do we stop management from taking money out of our paychecks? Can we sue the members of the defacto board for mismanagement? We are at a bit of a disadvantage because the "union attorney" apparently works for this defacto board and not union membership. What can we do?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2009, 05:40 PM

The people who are unhappy retain their own counsel.

Please post your question once, in one category. Duplicate postings cause the volunteers to spend unnecessary time.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2009, 05:42 PM

Asked and answered on legal board - please don't post twice
    RinTinTin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2009, 06:22 PM
    No it wasn't. That post was deleted.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 20, 2009, 06:52 PM

I must have been deleting the other post while you were answering, happens sometimes.

But yes, you have to either deal directly with the main union, asking them to stepin, hire attorneys to sue

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Did Obama attempt to undermine negotiations with Iraq ? [ 13 Answers ]

According to Amir Taheri he did when he visited Iraq in July. OBAMA TRIED TO STALL GIS' IRAQ WITHDRAWAL - New York Post He claims Hoshyar Zebari told him on the record that Obama tried to convince the Iraqis to end the negotiations and instead asked them, to request an extension to the UN...

Unauthorized Charges [ 4 Answers ]

I recently made a payment to earthlink with my bankcard and the next day they charged me an additional 154.90 without my knowledge.when I called the companythey said that once they have your card numberthey can use it for anything that is due even without your permission to keep the number on file...

Credit Card Negotiations [ 1 Answers ]

I am only 30 days or less behind on my credit cards and really want to get them back in order. I am trying like heck to negotiate with the companies but have one who refuses to budge referring me intstead to a debt management company ( most likely credit card company ran). I don't feel this step is...

Union and non-Union works [ 2 Answers ]

What are the advantages and disadvantages of Union and non-union works in a Tool and Die industry? :confused:

View more questions Search