Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2009, 02:17 PM
    Wattage in Bathroom Sconces
    I just want a reality check here...

My sconce fixtures say "60 watt max bulb". Those new(er) twisty eco friendly bulbs say 12 watts 60 watt equivalent.

Does that mean it is a 60 watt bulb or can I put in bigger ones up to the actual watt usage?

Or in other words... the wife wants brighter lights in the new bathroom. Do I have to replace the fixtures or can I just lay on bigger halogens?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2009, 02:23 PM

Regardless of the amount of light it puts out (60 watt equivalent), the number of watts it consumes (12 watts) is what you need to look at. You can put in a bulb that consumes up to 60 watts of power. A 12 watt (60 watt equivalent) bulb only consumes 12 watts of power.

You can put in "larger" compact fluorescent lights (did you really mean to say "bigger halogens"?) up to the 60 watt maximum.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 20, 2009, 02:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    I just want a reality check here...

My sconce fixtures say "60 watt max bulb". Those new(er) twisty eco friendly bulbs say 12 watts 60 watt equivalent.

Does that mean it is a 60 watt bulb or can I put in bigger ones up to the actual watt usage?

Or in other words... the wife wants brighter lights in the new bathroom. Do I have to replace the fixtures or can I just lay on bigger halogens?
    You're talking about Compact Fluoresent Lights (CFLs), not halogens, right? I assume your use of the word "halogens" in your last sentence is a typo...

You can indeed put in brighter CFLs than the equivalent brightness incandescant. The 60 watt limitation on the fixture is to limit the amount of heat that the fixture will be exposed to. Since your "60 watt equivalent brightness" CFL only draws 12 watts, it puts out as much heat as a 12-watt incandescant, which is way below the limit for the fixture. If you put in a 100 watt equivalent brightness CFL, it will draw about 23 watts. That should give your wife more than enough light, and is way below the heat capacity of the fixture.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pc wattage [ 1 Answers ]

How much wattage do I need to support a XFX GeoForce 9500e 1g graphics card and MS Flight Simulator?

Circuit wattage [ 6 Answers ]

I am new to this website - excuse any errors. My question: I.m remodeling & wiring my basement and looking for wattgage limitations on 15 & 20 amp ckt breakers. AJD66

Switching old sconces for new ones [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I'm back with a new project: I recently purchased new wall sconces for my bathroom. We were able to turn off the original ones with push button switches. The new ones need to be turned on and off with a single pole switch. There is one single pole switch which controls the...

Wiring two wall sconces from a common junction box [ 2 Answers ]

Wiring two wall sconces from a common junction box Good day. I have two wall sconces that were wired to a common junction box where they obtained their source of power (SOP). They each have their own on and off switches on the light fixture. I wish to connect both wall sconces to a dimmer....

Power Source For New Sconces [ 4 Answers ]

I Have Two Sconces To Install. Where Can Draw Power From. They Must Be Wired To A Switch. Can I Draw Power From A Nearby Switch? If So Would I Just Run A Pigtail From The Existing Switch To The New One, Install Them Both In A Double Switch Box And Run A 14/2 Cable To Junction Box Splicing ...

View more questions Search