Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2009, 03:38 AM
    Solid State Dimmer
    I just put in a new Hampton Bay fan and light. The house has a 3 wire setup and right now the light is connected to a wall switch and the fan is running on a constant power line so is controlled by the pull chain in the housing.

I would like to put them both on a dimming switch (individually controlled). The fan instructions say "do not use a solid state dimmer switch for controlling fan speed"

My question is what does that mean? Does a digital dimmer switch like this Lutron at Lowe's: Maestro Single-Pole Fan Control and Digital Dimmer count as solid state?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 20, 2009, 04:41 AM
    If your wiring has both switch legs at the wall box you can use that switch.

Sometimes the fan is wired with no switch and only the lights is switched at the wall. If this is the case you cannot sue that switch and are stuck with your setup unless you re-wire from the wall box to the fan.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2009, 09:02 PM
    Actually, Stan, I think that's a 2 wire control that includes a receiver. In which case it would work fine.

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...n-controls.php
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 21, 2009, 04:29 AM
    A-ha. You are right. That Lowe's page does not give much info. It just says it will work with existing wiring.

Lutron Maestro Products >> Maestro Fan Controls
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2009, 01:58 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't have known, except a friend bought and installed that same control.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore Solid State Won't Heat [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. I have a Sears Kenmore Solid State Soft Heat Dryer that won't heat. It was like this when I moved into the house. Although it's a little dated, it is in great condition. I don't even know where to look for the model no. Everything else seems to function fine. Actually, I still use it, it...

One room dimmer installation / dimmer works but no power in room [ 4 Answers ]

I have installed a remot ctrl dimmer in one room & now all 2 of my power outlets seems not to work. The installation was one pole & I shut off the power to the upstairs area of my house by using the cirucit breaker. Once aligning all the wires & positioning the dimmer to replace the on & off switch...

Solid pvc connection [ 4 Answers ]

I think normally a 3" tee has about an inch and a quarter depth to join with the actual pipe, how much of that would be the minimum I can get away with and still have a good bond?

First Solid Food; Just for fun [ 15 Answers ]

Hi, Just for fun. According to the Montel Show, TV,: What is the first solid food most commonly given to children in the United States? I was surprised! Do you know?

View more questions Search