Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Avasean Posts: 85, Reputation: 6

Apr 19, 2009, 05:09 PM
    Horrible Hospital.What Should I Do?
    I was due last Thursday. I have already lost my mucus plug. My water has NOT broken. I've been having contractions for the past 2 days.

Yesterday they got to be about 7 minutes apart, so my husband took me to the hospital. I was dilated to a 2 (I was a 1 at my last doctor's appointment... 3 days ago).

They strapped the monitors on me, but the monitor that kept track of the contractions was all kinds of screwed up, so they did not get an accurate reading on the contractions. After being on the monitors for 2 hours, they checked my cervix again, and I was still a 2.

At my last appointment, the doctor didn't have ANY problems finding my cervix. He said he didn't have to push very far in at all. The nurse last night said she couldn't find it... she pushed so damn hard... if she's my nurse next time I go in, I am DEMANDING a different nurse.

My husband is very very not happy with that hospital. The monitor was screwed up THE ENTIRE 2 HOURS I was there; no one offered to change monitors or move me to a different room... NOTHING!

What do y'all think I should do about it? I plan on going to another hospital next time I need to go, but my doctor works for them, and I have an appointment to be induced Wednesday night, so I don't have the option of going to a different hospital for that.

DO I?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2009, 05:14 PM

I would discuss the problem with the doctor before Wednesday and see if he can set you up with a different nurse. It is sort of too late when you go in Wednesday.
    I had similar problems with a nurse when I was in the delivery room. Unfortunately the nurse turned out to be the doctors wife and it turned into a shouting match between my x husband and the doctor while I was laying there in labor. The doctor ended up telling him shut up or get out. Unfortunately I didn't have the option to leave.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 19, 2009, 05:31 PM

You can see if your doctor has rights in other hospitals. But in the end, you have the right to demand certain levels of care
    mishelly3 Posts: 300, Reputation: 16

Apr 19, 2009, 11:57 PM

I would make a little phone call to the hopital administrator.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2009, 05:18 AM

Yes... you can see if your doctor can go to another hospital... sometimes they will have privileges at a couple of locations. You can certainly ask for a different nurse to be assigned to you if personalities don't mesh.

Next time you go in, whether to this hospital or another, know that you and your husband can ask for changes... such as requesting that a new montior be used.
    However, contractions can be monitored just by spending sometime with you. If you go in again before you are to be induced because of contractions... wait until they are about 3-5 minutes apart.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 20, 2009, 05:42 AM
    I agree with what Doula said. I also want to add that it can be hard to find a cervix if the nurse had short fingers and/or your cervix is very posterior. Considering you are a primip (first baby) it should not be too hard, but there are circumstances, including the position you were lying in, that makes the cervix hard to reach.

You also may have had a new nurse. As a new nurse, I had that problem as well, but I would explain that to my patients before I ever laid a hand on them.

Now, for the monitor, depending the size of your body in comparison to the size of your belly, it can be hard also to keep the belts of the monitor just where they need to be. Sometimes they slide, making it hard to get tracings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Eyelashes Are Horrible [ 22 Answers ]

I have naturally curly eyelashes that grow in all weird directions. They won't go straight at all and I comb them and everything. I try to use mascara to make them look longer, but it just clumps together and looks awful. How can I get them to be straight ?

My hair is horrible [ 2 Answers ]

My hairs naturally dark blonde, but I've died my hair loads of times since my hair was that colour. Recently I died it dark brown as my hair had turned ginger. But its now turned out black how do I make it lighter? Please help xx

Please help! My hair is horrible! [ 23 Answers ]

I just dyed my hair a "dark brown" but it came out to a goth looking black this evening and its horrible! I can't even look in the mirror without crying :( I took 2 showers since dyeing it and some of the color still comes out but when I come out of the shower I still look the same :( I have been...

Was it really that horrible? [ 8 Answers ]

K so this is a really long story, but I'll try to cut it short So last year I was 15, and I became friends with a girl, that introduced me to her friend, who was 40 years old, that actually paid her for sex whenever she needed money. Well when I met the guy I didn't know and he ended up paying me...

Am I horrible person? [ 9 Answers ]

While I was going through the break up with my ex-boyfriend, I met this guy that seemed nice enough. He was amusing and had the same interests as me. He started talking to me online, I talked to him and everything was friendly. However, he insisted on meeting up with me and basically expressed...

View more questions Search