Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nagger15 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2009, 02:55 PM
    Can credit card companies take my son's home.us
    Hi, I need help. I'm a disabled lady who is bed fast from illness, mostly heart and lung problems, I've been ill since 2005, I became hospitalized in April of 2007 and have been in and out of hospitals and nursing homes for most all of 2 years, I am at home now but have nurses come into my home and take care of me, I have a mentally and physically disabled son who is 22 years old who lives with me, I had a lot of credit cards and paying on them until I got sick, I rsceive only social security and only get $687 a month. About 6 months ago I sold my real property to my son for $10, he goesn't drive and we don't know how to transfer real estate. I have a summons to appear to for a warrant of debt from bbandt for credit card debts. Please help me, we can't lose our home, I would love to pay these but the utility companies take my whole check and there's nothing left. All I have is a handwritten receipt and it is signed by a witness,
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 19, 2009, 03:06 PM

First, if the deed was not properly executed and registered with the county then the sale is not valid.

However, in most states your primary residence is usually safe from unsecured debt.

On the other hand, transferring assets to secure it from debt is considered fraud. So it may be better that the sale WASN'T registered.

What I suggest is you contact someone from a local senior center about getting some legal advice. You need to check the homestead laws of your state to see how much your home is proctected and the legality of the transfer.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 19, 2009, 03:10 PM

Yes, a lot of issues, first if you "sold" it to him for 10 dollars he will owe 1000's in gift taxes for that.

Also if you were in a nursing home they can take a primary home for money owed them.

Next you don't just "sell", you write up a deed and register it, if this was not done, there was no sale at all.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 19, 2009, 03:20 PM

Actually YOU would be the one to owe gift taxes. But, its certainly possible the nursing home could take the house. Even if you did "sell" it to your son.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can the credit card companies do anything to me? [ 2 Answers ]

I am married and 56. I do not work. I have 2 credit cards in my name only that I can not pay as my husband has been unemployed for 1 1/2 yrs. He receives a military pension and right now has unemployment but I have no oncome. We own a home together that we are paying on and it has approx...

Ligitmate bad credit or credit card companies [ 2 Answers ]

I have a daughter who needs a computer for school, she has bad credit.who could she go threw to get one she is on a limited income. So she needs small payments. Is there a ligitmate company she could go threw. And not a rental center she can't afford that. Please help

View more questions Search