Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lkizer Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2009, 08:40 AM
    Circuit breaker tripping on electric well pump
    I have an electric well pump which trips the circuit breaker. The pump does not seem to work. I can reset the breaker but it trips again after five minutes or so. Do I have a pump problem or an electrical problem?
    rathisaravanan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2009, 09:30 AM
    Hi!

Open the connection at the motor terminals and check if the breaking occurs even after that then there exists some electrical problem.
    Be cautious while with live wires.

Apr 19, 2009, 09:38 AM

Would the motor terminals be located at the well location?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 19, 2009, 10:02 AM
    If it is tripping after a few minutes it is likely a pump problem.
    Is there a control box near the pressure tank?

I have to say, this is likely not something you will be able to troubleshoot yourself.

Apr 19, 2009, 12:45 PM

Yes, there is a control box near the pressure tank. If I open it up, what am I looking for?

Apr 19, 2009, 12:52 PM
    A capacitor that is possibly failed.
    You will probably have no way to check it, but if you remove the cover the capacitor is usually mounted to the inside if it. You can take the cover with the capacitor to a motor shop and they can test it or just replace it.
    Make sure the power is off.

Apr 19, 2009, 01:37 PM

I took off the control box cover and found four wires, three yellow and one white with a ground wire. I could find no capacitor. Maybe this is not the control box. It has a small grey rectangular cover.

Apr 19, 2009, 02:22 PM
    That's probably the pressure switch. If there is no remote capacitor there is nothing to troubleshoot above ground other than checking the amperage draw of the motor.

I would start with a plumber or well guy. An electrician can check this but after that he cannot do anything more. A well guy can do it all.

Apr 21, 2009, 07:46 AM

Thanks so much for your help, stanfortyman. I called the well guy and he came out immediately. He says the amps aren't sufficient to keep the pump running and is returning today to run a new electrical line to the pump. He'll then know if there are other issues. I'll keep you posted but thanks again.
    Kale_NicciSmith Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2011, 01:36 PM
    I am having similar problems except the pump kicks on then kicks of then back and forth then kicks the breaker

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gfci breaker + outlet in same circuit.breaker tripping [ 4 Answers ]

I have a gfci breaker for a bathroom and there is an additional gfci outlet in the bathroom on the same circuit. The breaker was tripping intermittently over the past week and now will not re-engage. Should I suspect a faulty breaker or is it better to troubleshoot the circuit first? The...

Circuit breaker keep tripping [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, The problem is that the breaker trips and I cannot reset it, but after a few hours sometimes I can reset it but then it will trip again then when I try to reset it the breaker arc and woun't reset. Help!!

AC Circuit Breaker Tripping [ 4 Answers ]

My Trane AHU/CU cools great except that twice in the last 2 weeks the circuit breaker has tripped. Both times I have noticed it has got hotter in the house, I go out in the garage and the AHU Blower is blowing but the CU is not running. I check the panel and the circuit breaker is tripped. I reset...

Circuit Breaker Tripping [ 1 Answers ]

We have installed a electrical box on the home that houses a 20 amp fuse w:gfi off the meter, then ran the wires to a outdoor box w: a gfi plug & a on/off switch. Seems to be wired correctly, but the 20 amp fuse keeps tripping. Thank You in Advance for any help, Michael

Hot tub circuit breaker tripping [ 1 Answers ]

I have had this hot tub for about 6 years. It has a history of blowing an internal 20 amp fuze. But, lately it runs a little while and then trips the circuit breaker. Any ideas?

View more questions Search