Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    John1960 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2009, 06:25 AM
    Late Fees
    I live in South Carolina.I ran into some financial trouble a few months ago and got behind on my regime payments. Not by a lot ,but I was behind one month for 7 months in a row.Meaning I paid but was carrying a balance owed for 7 months. I have since brought my regime dues up to dated, but I have refused to pay the late fees, The total is now $70.00.I recently received a letter from my HOA, say that a Lien was going to be placed against my property over the late fees. If I did not pay within 10 days. My question is ;can they do this? Can they take me to court over an amount less than $75.00. I also thought small claims courts do not take hearings over late fees?
    Xyzpdq0121 Posts: 85, Reputation: 6

Apr 19, 2009, 06:46 AM

You HoA can not put a lien on your property for you being late on your mortgage. Now if you did not pay your HoA dues... yes they can put a lien on your property anytime they want to, and for any amount. If the late fees are outlined in your HoA charter, then you must pay them. I guarantee, IF you were to go to small claims court, you would be forced to pay the fees anyway, plus maybe the court fees for the HoA. Paying the $75 is the cheap and easy way out.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 19, 2009, 07:01 AM

You need to read and understand your HOA rules. Not only is it perfectly reasonable to charge a late fee for your HOA dues (I'm assuming that's what regime fees are), but, the by-laws probably allow then to place a lien on your property WITHOUT going to court. That is very normal.

I would ask them if you can pay the $70 over time, maybe add $10/month.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a landlord in NH assess late fees on a late fee carried over month to month? [ 2 Answers ]

My last lease said that on the 5th day a $5.00 fee is assessed and then $2 everyday there after. After I signed my last rent increase, at the time of last renewal I never received a new full lease agreement. Supposedly the amount of late fees went up without notification or signing of notification,...

Late Fees being charged even though I'm not late [ 9 Answers ]

My landlord uses a reale estate company to manage his property. In my lease it clearly states that your rent is late if payment is made 5 days after the due date (which makes it late after the 6th of each month). Can my landlord lawfully charge me a late fee for paying on the 6th day? And, they...

Late Fees [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know if NJ has rules on how much late fees may be and what is considered reasonable for late fees? Trish

Late fees [ 7 Answers ]

I live in a small town in California and recently sent in my payment for utilities (water, garbage and sewer). The bill was due on the 9th and I mailed it on the 6th. I just got a bill in the mail for $25 stating that I paid late. The total of the original bill was $65. Is it legal to charge...

View more questions Search