Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jipflorist Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2006, 04:18 AM
    Mtd riding lawn mower
    Hi every one
    I have a very old mtd riding lawn mower that my mother gave me but it keeps throwing the drive belt. My mother thinks that the way she was putting the belt on is wrong does any one know how the belt should go on its about a 1986 model mower.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2006, 10:06 PM
    Make sure the belt keepers are in place... usually drive belts and deck belts jump around a little when mowing, etc... and the keepers, well keep them in place.
    lawntech Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2006, 05:35 PM
    The belt also may be stretched or worn out. If it is stretched then they have a tendency to dance out of place
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2006, 11:29 PM
    These belts Don't stretch much or at all... (the way they are made) but rather the way they are made... they are made to fit in the groove on the pulley.. repeated engaging and disengaging wears that down...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Murray riding lawn mower electrical problem [ 7 Answers ]

My mower runs but only as long as the battery has a charge. And then it dies, so what could be the problem? Please help I have a huge lawn and a push mower just doesn't get it!!

Lawn Chief riding mower [ 6 Answers ]

Two wires got disconnected from our riding lawnmower. I need to know where the 2 red wires are supposed to go. The longer red wire is hooked to the key or kill switch and the shorter red wire is hooked to the solenoid. I think the shorter wire is for ground. The mfg. # is 0048 and the model # is...

Craftsman 14.5 hp riding lawn mower [ 3 Answers ]

I bought it used it seemed OK,but now I have loss of power.I NOW have a brand new battery.What can I do to the engine or carburator to fix problem?How do I properly adjust carb?Should I overhaul the engine?I haven't found a rebuild kit for my B&S engine(14.5) Any help would be great.Somone told me...

Craftsman Riding Lawn Mower Warranty [ 4 Answers ]

I am planning to purchase a Craftsman 4000 Riding Lawn Mower, and am wondering if it is worth the money to purchase the 3 year extended warranty? Can anyone advise?

Riding lawn mower [ 6 Answers ]

I have 1/2 acre of lawn and wish to replace an old Craftsman mower. Sears advertises a 17-HP Kohler Pro engine, 42 inch lawn tractor for $1200.00. Is this a good value, and do you recommend Craftsman lawn tractors? Thanks!

View more questions Search