Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lunakitti72 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2006, 12:59 PM
    Black sludge in pipe
    Recently, my bathroom sink stopped draining. Seeing as I am a Do-It-Yourself kind of girl I plunged it and the clear water became gray. The water did start draining very slowly so I let it drain completely. I left the fluffy looking gray sediment in the sink. When I touched it it was kind of filmy. I then removed the U shaped pipe. It was not clogged but there was this black filmy stuff lining the back half of the pipe (the part closest to the wall), but not the part directly under the drain.

I then removed the drain pipe and pulled out the stopper and discovered a bunch of hair and mystery gray gunk all around it. I removed this and went to reassemble the pipes. As I was putting the U shaped pipe back on I noticed black stuff on my hands so I stopped and ran my finger around inside the pipe in the wall under the sink. Can I just say EWWW! I pulled my fingers out with this black sludgey, slimey stuff on them. The nearest thing I can compare the consistency to is bearing grease. (Sorry my dad was a mechanic... not a plumber... alas) It did start draining a lot better after I put it back together, but the bathtub doesn't drain overly well and the toilet doesn't flush well either. The toilet does occasionally overflow, but does respond to flushing in so much as it returns to its normal slowness that never seems to completely flush except on the miraculous rare occasion.

I tried finding info online, but everything kept mentioning well systems and I am on city water. I do know the house was built in the 40's or 50's, but I don't know the exacts because I rent. I guess what I'm really needing to know is if that sludge is dangerous healthwise or just a nuisance and do I need to tell my landlord about it?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 15, 2006, 04:44 PM
    Hey Luna,
    What you have are normal problems for a house over 50 years of age. The gray gunk will turn black in time and the black gunk is grease from the soap that you use. Don't worry it won't hurt you. It just mats up with rotting hair and clogs up drains. The bathtub/shower has the same problem and the drain should probably be snaked out from the lavatory vent and the tub overflow, ( I added this for your landlord to see.)

As for the toilet I have one that most repair plumbers miss.. Look down at the bottom of the bowl. If there is a small hole, then that is a jet that starts the syphon action. If it's clogged the water will just swirl around and slowly go down leaving solids behind. Take your finger,(UGH! ) and run it around the inside of the opening. Over the years minerals build up and cut down on the syphon (flush) action. If it is rough or you feel build up, take a table knife and put a bend in it to get around the curve in the bowl and chip and scrap it clear. Next take a coathanger and clear out the holes around the rim. They start the swirling action. And last, check the water level in the tank. It should be 1/2" below the top of the over flow tube. And speaking of the overflow tube, Make sure the small 1/8" tube from the ballcock to the white overflow tube is connected so it discharges in it and that it's flowing when the ballcock fills. This is what raises the water level in the bowl. For a good solid flush they all have to work together. Hope this helps . Tom
    nokaoi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2012, 11:42 AM
    But how does one keep from having this buildup goo? Is there a product that one can put in their drain once a month to prevent the buildup? I am on city water and recently had a new sink installed... about 4 months ago... the other day I notice a leak and call the guys back to check it when they took the trap off it had about 1/8" of buildup of this greasy black stuff... (I live alone and only use that sink for washing hands and brushing teeth) It is awful looking and it stinks. I want my drains to be clear always so need a product to put down the drain that will eliminate this stuff... thanks?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 2, 2012, 01:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nokaoi View Post
    But how does one keep from having this buildup goo? Is there a product that one can put in their drain once a month to prevent the buildup? I am on city water and recently had a new sink installed ...about 4 months ago...the other day I notice a leak and call the guys back to check it when they took the trap off it had about 1/8" of buildup of this greasy black stuff...(I live alone and only use that sink for washing hands and brushing teeth) It is awful looking and it stinks. I want my drains to be clear always so need a product to put down the drain that will eliminate this stuff...thanks?
    Hi nokaoi and Welcome to The Plumbing Page. At AskMeHelpDesk.com. You're responding to a 6 year old dead thread . Look in then upper left hand corner of the first post form the date in the first post before you post, Thanks,
    { am no fan of putting chemicals in your drainage system. Besides, they only seem to work in TV ads. Black slime is normal in drainage lines. Let me repeat what I've already posted, What you have are normal problems.. The gray gunk will turn black in time and the black gunk is grease from the soap that you use. Don't worry it won't hurt you.or your pipes. Cheers. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Black Skin? [ 4 Answers ]

Well I'm a girl, and I have brown skin, (african!) and I was just wondering if any others have tried tanning their skin to get a one golden colour all over, does any other black girls or men know if this works, or if ANY ONE DOES regardless of colour could help answer this would be helpful. I also...

Natural gas pipe in bsmt is touching gas pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a house and in the basement the single wall furnace flue is touching the dark iron natural gas pipe, just before it enters the brick chimney , the water heater also has single wall flue that runs through wood structure. The previous owner put coffee cans around the flue, he cut off...

Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in early 70's.. No plastic.. I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall.. I needed a longer one. It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe.. I...

View more questions Search