Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jessica0542 Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2009, 12:21 PM
    Daily basis constipation
    What can you do for a daily basis constipation?can someone tell me what over the counter constipation products are the best,and have the fastest bowel movements.thanks
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 17, 2009, 12:24 PM
    What do you mean by daily basis constipation. Many people don't have bowel movements for 3 or more days.

Apr 17, 2009, 12:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    What do you mean by daily basis constipation. Many people don't have bowel movements for 3 or more days.
    I was told by my sister-in-law,who is a r.n. that you should have bowel movement at least twice a day and I go 7-8 days without having any bowl movement.ive been suffering with this for a while.I was taking senna prompt but it stopped working for me,so I'm trying to find something new that works.
    Expert

Apr 17, 2009, 12:33 PM
    Your sister is incorrect. While many people do have up to 2 bowel movements a day, it is not considered constipation if you don't. Many people go 3-4 days without a bowel movement without any complications.

7-8 days may be considered constipation though. Do you have any other symptoms? Hard stool? Bright red blood when you do go? Abdominal pain?

I, too, am an RN.

Apr 17, 2009, 04:06 PM
    Your sister is incorrect. While many people do have up to 2 bowel movements a day, it is not considered constipation if you don't. Many people go 3-4 days without a bowel movement without any complications.

7-8 days may be considered constipation though. Do you have any other symptoms? Hard stool? Bright red blood when you do go? Abdominal pain?

I, too, am an RN.
    Oh I see!I do have other symptoms,sometimes ill go to the bathroom because I feel like I have to go and I don't go. My body forces itself to push and push but there's nothing.. Also,I do have bright red blood and minor abdominal pain.Ive been like this for as long as I could remember that's why I was taking the senna prompt but it recently stopped working for me.ive also tryd align and it di nothing for me.
    Expert

Apr 17, 2009, 04:07 PM
    Have you tried MiraLax? This is not only a laxative but also a stool softener.

Apr 17, 2009, 04:10 PM
    Have you tried MiraLax? This is not only a laxative but also a stool softener.
    No I have not. Can you get that over the counter or just from the doctors?
    Expert

Apr 17, 2009, 04:11 PM
    It is over-the-counter. You also need to increase your fluids, preferably water or juice. Increase your fiber. One natural solution is dehydrated apricots.

Apr 17, 2009, 04:21 PM
    It is over-the-counter. You also need to increase your fluids, preferably water or juice. Increase your fiber. One natural solution is dehydrated apricots.
    All I drink is water,and I've tryd the dehydrated apricots.do you know what's the best way I can increase my fiber?
    Expert

Apr 17, 2009, 04:25 PM
    Here is a great website that tells you about daily fiber intake

Patient Education | Increasing Fiber Intake

Apr 17, 2009, 04:29 PM
    here is a great website that tells you about daily fiber intake

Patient Education | Increasing Fiber Intake
    Thank you so much for your help;)
    Expert

Apr 17, 2009, 04:31 PM
    Any time, that's what we are here for.
    Bonnie46 Posts: 113, Reputation: 16

Apr 17, 2009, 04:41 PM

I, too, am an RN.

Hi, I believe that you are an RN, but I disagree with you. I've had several doctors and my cousin who is an RN too tell me that people SHOULD have at least one to two bowel movements each day, if they are eating a proper balanced diet, high in fibre, vitamins, minerals, fruit and vegetables. 3 to 4 days means that stuff is stuck inside your system and not flushing out regularly.

This is from a leading colon expert: when the body is dehydrated, the first organ the body sucks water OUT of, (in order to have water available to use for other organs) is THE COLON. When the colon (and body) is dehydrated, you will not be able to poop easily and may become constipated. Try to drink water (not cola, not tea, not coffee) just water. Water, and normal nutrients like fruits and vegetables with fibre - will help you go. Stress can also be a HUGE factor.

Drinking alcohol will also suck your body dry of water, making it more difficult to go to the bathroom.

Try a water soluble fibre powder from the local pharmacy. Drink lots of water, and eat some VEGGIES!

Apr 17, 2009, 07:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie46 View Post

I, too, am an RN.

Hi, I believe that you are an RN, but I disagree with you. I've had several doctors and my cousin who is an RN too tell me that people SHOULD have at least one to two bowel movements each day, if they are eating a proper balanced diet, high in fibre, vitamins, minerals, fruit and vegetables. 3 to 4 days means that stuff is stuck inside your system and not flushing out regularly.

this is from a leading colon expert: when the body is dehydrated, the first organ the body sucks water OUT of, (in order to have water available to use for other organs) is THE COLON. When the colon (and body) is dehydrated, you will not be able to poop easily and may become constipated. Try to drink water (not cola, not tea, not coffee) just water. Water, and normal nutrients like fruits and vegetables with fibre - will help you go. Stress can also be a HUGE factor.

Drinking alcohol will also suck your body dry of water, making it more difficult to go to the bathroom.

try a water soluable fibre powder from the local pharmacy. drink lots of water, and eat some VEGGIES!
    well I think your writing to the wrong person because I'm the one with the constipation problem.and I was told by my sister in law that I should be pooping 2-3 times a day.and then today I was told by another r.n. that that is not true.so if none of this is true can you tell me what is cause I really need help trying to find a over the counter remedy besides senna prompt and align because those did not work for me.thanks
    Expert

Apr 17, 2009, 07:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie46 View Post
    I'm sorry you disagree with me, however, the fact remains that having 1 - 2 bowel movements a day is not common for everyone. It all depends on your particular digestive system. Again, it is not uncommon for some people to go 2-3 days without a bowel movement, while others have 2-3 bowel movements a day.

One week without a bowel movement is considered constipation.
    Expert

Apr 17, 2009, 07:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jessica0542 View Post
    well i think your writing to the wrong person because im the one with the constipation problem.and i was told by my sister in law that i should be pooping 2-3 times a day.and then today i was told by another r.n. that that is not true.so if none of this is true can you tell me what is cause i really need help trying to find a over the counter remedy besides senna prompt and align because those did not work for me.thanks
    Again, try MiraLax. I am currently using it on my son by recommendation of the pediatrician I work for. Now, this is not a pediatric med, it is used for adults, I have had to adjust the dosage on my son according to his weight.

Again, I am a RN, I work in Labor and Delivery, so I have quite extensive knowledge about constipation as many pregnant women get constipated quite easily.
    Holistic Doctor Posts: 64, Reputation: 8

Apr 18, 2009, 04:12 AM

Have you tried flax seeds? They contain lots of fibre and help a lot in producing a good bowel movement.
    Also, if you have pain and tightness at the anus, you might try applying Castor oil externally, once or twice daily, as is convenient to you. It often helps. Ayurveda (System of Medicine from India) extolls its virtues as a remover of 'vaata' in this situation. Vaata is the cause of difficulty in evacuating the bowels, so perhaps Castor oil really might be the solution for you...

Exercising regularly (and enough) is important too, to maintain the tone of the abdominal muscles!

Avoiding eating too much raw food might help as well. But how much is too much, only you can decide, as we get our vitamins and other phyto-nutrients from salads and stuff.

Apr 19, 2009, 11:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Holistic Doctor View Post
    Have you tried flax seeds? They contain lots of fibre and help a lot in producing a good bowel movement.
    Also, if you have pain and tightness at the anus, you might try applying Castor oil externally, once or twice daily, as is convenient to you. It often helps. Ayurveda (System of Medicine from India) extolls its virtues as a remover of 'vaata' in this situation. Vaata is the cause of difficulty in evacuating the bowels, so perhaps Castor oil really might be the solution for you....

Exercising regularly (and enough) is important too, to maintain the tone of the abdominal muscles!

Avoiding eating too much raw food might help as well. But how much is too much, only you can decide, as we get our vitamins and other phyto-nutrients from salads and stuff.
    No I have not tried flax seeds,never even heard of them.but at this stage I'm willing to try anything.where can you get the flax seed and the castor oil.can you tell me exactly what castor oil is...
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2009, 05:24 PM

You can get flaxseed at any health food store.
    As we get older our digestive system gets sluggish. Our foods do not contain the necessary digestive enzymes because food is
    Processed so much by the time we eat it as well as other reasons.
    So along with the flaxseed (I use ground flax because the oil is too much for me) I take digestive enzymes (or as Holistic doctor said a raw diet. The essential enzymes are found in papaya and pineapple as well as other fruits and vegetables.
    Also probiotics (unsweetened yogurt is a probiotic) is good for proper digestion.
    Holistic Doctor Posts: 64, Reputation: 8

Apr 19, 2009, 06:07 PM

Flaxseed is available in health food stores. You would need ground flaxseed.
    Please store it in a refrigerator to prevent it from going rancid, which it can do very soon, otherwise.
    It may be had sprinkled on salads or with other foods.
    Here is a website which has a few recipes for using flaxseed:
    Flaxseed as Functional Food for People.... and as Feed for Other Animals

Castor oil is available in superstores. About 1/2 tsf of this oil should be poured around the anus (slowly) with the help of a spoon / dispenser.
    The skin around the anus absorbs it gradually, so this is best applied at night-time and again once at dawn, some time before getting out of bed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reporting Cash Basis versus Accrual Basis Income [ 3 Answers ]

Please help, I'm confused. Music Company had the following transactions in March: a. Sold instruments to customers for $10,000; received $6,000 in cash and the rest on account. The cost of the instruments was $7,000. b. Purchased $4,000 of new instruments inventory; paid $1,000 in cash and...

Reporting Cash Basis versus Accrual Basis Income [ 1 Answers ]

Forllowing transactions in March. Do both cash basis and accrual basis income a) Sold instrument to customers for $10,000; received $6000 in cash and the rest on account. The cost of the instrument was $7000 b)Purchased $4000 of new instrument inventory;paid $1000 in cash and owed the rest on...

Reporting cash basis versus accrual basis income [ 1 Answers ]

Please help me. I am an online student and new to accounting. Forllowing transactions in March. Do both cash basis and accrual basis income a) Sold instrument to customers for $10,000; received $6000 in cash and the rest on account. The cost of the instrument was $7000 b)Purchased $4000 of...

Reporting Cash Basis versus Accrual Basis Income [ 1 Answers ]

Mostert Music Company had the following transactions in March: a. Sold instruments to customers for $10,000; received $6,000 in cash and the rest on account. The cost of the instruments was $7,000. b. Purchased $4,000 of new instruments inventory; paid $1,000 in cash and owed the rest on...

View more questions Search