Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2009, 11:13 AM
    Home made dog biscuits
    I've changed my dogs food to an all natural and realized that I should change their cookies too. The all natural foods are very expensive and I was hoping that some one has a recipe for dog biscuits, maybe with peanut butter. I have found some on line, but not sure if all the ingredients are good for the pups.
    Egg, peanut butter, banana, honey, whole wheat flour, wheat germ or oatmeal
    How are those for starters?
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2009, 11:27 AM

Here's one I have on my email for when I had a pup [he loved it].

250 mL (1 cup) water
    125 mL (1/2 cup) canola oil
    2 eggs
    45 mL (3 tbsp) peanut butter
    10 mL (2 tsp) vanilla
    500 mL (2 cups) whole wheat flour
    125 mL (1/2 cup) cornmeal
    125 mL (1/2 cup) oats

Blend water, oil, eggs, peanut butter, and vanilla together. In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients. Combine wet and dry ingredients to form a ball of dough. Roll dough out onto a floured surface. Cut into desired shapes. Place cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a preheated 200° C (400° F) oven for 20 minutes. After baking, turn oven off and allow cookies to cool until crisp and hard. Store in an airtight container or plastic bag and place in refrigerator or freezer.

Makes: 3 dozen cookies.

Sarah
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2009, 05:23 PM

I made them and they are cooling. They loved them even when a little soft.
    Thanks again.
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2009, 05:30 PM

Secret time: I used to eat a cookie or two.

You can find many recpies if you Google it. Just make sure you don't have to add a lot of sugar or salt- keep it simple and easy ;)

Sarah
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2009, 07:11 PM

When they are done and crispy I will try one, but it seemed too gross while soft. My son and husband and brother, who is visiting wanted to know what smelled so good cooking. Everyone was appalled when I told them it wasn't for them and my husband was very sad that it wasn't for him. LOL
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2009, 07:25 PM

Hey they're good cookies!

You should get a cookie cutter shaped like a dog bone and have them on your counter and give them to guests. It's funny and yummy ;)

Sarah
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2009, 03:23 AM

Good question!

I haven't seen that particular recipe before... in a few years my partner and I plan to open a grooming business with a doggy café (he is a baker) so any recipes I can file away are great :D
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2009, 02:46 PM

I found one for a pumpkin biscotti and a different liver one, that I am trying out on Sunday. I will let you know if they like them. I bought extra liver because I am going to experiment with a liver biscotti. I buy one now and the dogs love it. The pieces are very small but really good and crunchy.
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2009, 06:45 PM
    I forgot something

I tried the liver treats today...
    Very gross (with chopping and pureeing the liver) but the whole house smelled like I was making a wonderful dinner LOL.
    1 lb liver (any kind) I used beef (food processed, I used my blender, but almost burnt the motor)
    1 egg
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    1/2 corn meal
    1/4 teas oregano
    1/4 teas brewers yeast (I left that out because I couldn't find it)
    Combine dry and then wet and mix together.

350' for 1/2 hour chewey longer for crispy.
    I dropped like cookies (with a small spoon) and flattened a little, then 20 minutes in cut small slices 1/2 way through for easier breaking. I cooked an additional 10 minutes and then left to cool in the oven, but my oven is electric, so the heat would be there longer than gas. They are crunchy on the outside and hard but a little chewy on inside. I didn't want to over cook the first time.
    My pups love them so far!
    I'm freezing some of the peanut butter and liver and going on to make the other ones. This is so much fun for me.

I always use 'reynolds release foil' when making any cookies, it is no stick, so you might have to grease your pan with what ever you feel is right.
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2009, 02:26 AM

My dogs LOVE liver.
    I usually just buy my dogs liver straps from the pet store though because I can't stand the smell of liver cooking! Lol

Sounds like a great recipe though Dahlia, thanks! :)
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2009, 03:11 PM

I hate liver, but it smelled really good to me. I have not tried the liver treats as I did with the peanut butter, I'm thinking "who cares" I won't be eating them.:)

That's my first smiley face, it's a little exciting for me, since I'm new at this.
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2009, 06:56 PM
    I've been known to sample dog food out of curiosity lol
    Hehe Dahlia, If you click on the 'go advanced' button below the reply box there's a whole heap of smileys you can use :) :D :p :rolleyes: :eek: :cool:
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2009, 09:57 AM

I made pumpkin biscotti yesterday and they both loved them and they actually look like biscotti. A very pretty and tasty dog cookies. I'll post the recipe when I get home this afternoon.
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2009, 04:55 PM
    Moms Famous Pumpkin Biscotti (for Dogs)
    Licks and Wags Dog Bakery (don't know where)
    1 cup canned pumpkin purée (not pie filling
    1/4 cup honey
    1/4 cup water
    2 Tablesponns canola oil
    1 large egg
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    4 cups whole wheat flour
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    Oven 350'
    Mix all wet in one bowl, mix all dry in separate bowl.
    Mix dry into wet using your hands (thick) after mixed divide into 2 sections.
    Shape into logs and roll out (with hands) until almost the length of your pan. Then flatten until about 4 inches. Poke holes all over the surface with a fork.
    Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until firm.
    Pull out and cool for 30 minutes.
    Reduce heat to 300'
    Cut each log in 1/4 inch slices. Place slice side down on baking sheets and bake 30 minutes longer or conpletly hard (I had to do 45 mins)
    Let cool.

They come out a good size, so you might want to score them for smaller dogs. I have been finding it difficult to break into small pieces for my 10 pounder. She loves them, but I think she is overwhelmed by the size. The bigger pup (18 lbs) laughs at her and eats away.:D

I just re-read that and it sounds like a lot, but it really isn't. Didn't take that much time, besides the cooking and you can walk around for that.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 27, 2009, 05:29 PM
    We use this peanut butter one and save the liver treats for medications.

Peanut Butter Dog Treat Recipe Will Have Your Dog Smiling
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 27, 2009, 05:33 PM
    As far as all you people trying these, my mother tells the story that at the age of two I would scrape my scrambled eggs off the high chair, climb down, and pick the dog's mini chunks out while the dog ate the eggs. She laughed and the dog and I were both satisfied.
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2009, 05:58 PM

That's the one I am trying after the liver biscotti, I already wotwrote it down and I'll let you know how much they love it. They still have some PB cookies in the freezer.
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2009, 02:32 PM
    Liver Biscotti for Dogs (treats or training)

2 cups liver (about 1 pound)
    2 cups whole wheat flour
    1 1/2 cups white flour
    1 large egg
    1/2 teaspoon oregano
    1/4 teaspoon yeast dissolved in boiling water (flavor)
    1/4 cup water
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda and 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
    2 Tablespoons canola oil

Cornmeal or flour

Mix all your wet in one bowl/ mix all dry in another bowl
    Add dry to wet little by little. You will end up mixing with your hand, only use one hand (it's pretty messy) you might need your other hand for other things, keep it out of the mess.
    I ended up kneading it like bread dough to get it all together.

Separate into 4 sections, roll those into logs. I used cornmeal so it wouldn't stick to the counter.

Flatten those logs to about 4 inches and poke all over with a fork.

Bake at 350' for 15 minutes, cool 10 minutes and slice 1/4 inch

Place cut side down on cookie sheet (they don't spread, so they can be close together)

Bake 45 minutes more then let cool.

These can easily be broken up small for training treats or left whole for cookies. My dogs love them! :D
    I'm going to try the chicken liver next time because the beef liver is really gross to work with. :eek:
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2009, 05:46 PM
    I made the liver biscotti again today (they are cooling) I used chicken liver this time and it was sooo much easier. My Blender never even got close to burning out. The liquid was more though, so next time I will omit the water and drain the liver as much as I can before blending.

They are messy to make but the pups love them.:)
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2009, 06:29 PM

Thanks for the recipes because I am going use it for my dogs. They could love it because they eat anything. :-O

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Home made gift? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone, so I have been with my Bf for 4 months and his birthday is coming up in about a week from now and I don't know what to give him. I asked his old babysitter and his brothers what I could get him. They said anything that I can make him he will LOVE! Other of his ex's have made him...

Uncooked flaky biscuits [ 2 Answers ]

I have a recipe from a website called 'Epicurious' and I need 'purchased biscuit dough' also referred to as 'purchased refrigerated uncooked large flaky biscuits'. There's no way I'll be able to buy it where I'm living. Can anyone tell me how to make this. The actual recipe is for Baked apple,...

Home made Rolls (Yeast) [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone have any ideas on how to get my yeast rolls to market. These are homemade yeast rolls. Every time I make them people want to buy them. Everyone keeps telling me to get these in the store. Any suggestions on how to sell the recipe or manufacture to get into the market place.

Maple syrup biscuits [ 2 Answers ]

I'd like to make biscuits with maple syrup. Has any of you a recipe ? Thanks

View more questions Search