Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cabarello Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2009, 10:57 PM
    Could use some guidance
    I'm 24 and am incredibly depressed. I haven't been able to smile for over a decade now. My teeth have rotten due to neglect. There is so much more to it psychologically than I could even begin to explain. I am terrified of the dentist and the feeling of hopelessness that I'll never be able to afford the work I need.
    At times I get very suicidal because hiding my teeth is always at the front of my mind. I used to be a fun guy everyone wanted to know and now I'm misunderstood for a snob, or an . I never talk.. I feel stuck inside this body.. trapped in shame. My teeth are in shambles. After recently having one of my front teeth break in half, I've decided I can't live life anymore if I don't start taking steps to get this fixed.
    To circumvent a lot of explanation I'll just say that I've squandered a great amount of time and opportunity because of this horrible insecurity that just gets worse each day. I just got a job where I can make 3-500 dollars a week. I don't have any money saved now. But, I have no bills, and am living rent free. I really need to seize this chance and I need guidance.
    I have so much love and personality, and potential in me that I've had to hold back for too many years now. I'm still so young, this can't go on any further. I'll do anything, I'll move anywhere. I want more than anything to just be able to smile and make other people smile. And even though I understand that I ultimately did this to myself (even though there are other huge factors) I feel like I have been robbed of my life.
    I am absolutely terrified of going to a 'normal' dentist. My teeth literally are some of the worst teeth anyone could see in their life.
    The hope I have in making this post is maybe finding out something like.. A school that deems themselves one of the best, where restoring a really bad case like mine would be good for it's students to see..
    I know in extremely rare cases a persons entire restoration has been 'sponsored'. I mean.. I don't really anything about it.. is there any way to apply for help in a desperate situation.. I know I said I had a job and no bills and rent free but this JUST happened.
    I have a lot of history but I just wanted to cut to the chase..
    If you can pass on some wisdom please do. Please understand that a lot of my problem is psychological from being so insecure and I can't make bold decisions.
    Thank you.
    layla36 Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2009, 11:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cabarello View Post
    I'm 24 and am incredibly depressed. I haven't been able to smile for over a decade now. My teeth have rotten due to neglect. There is so much more to it psychologically than I could even begin to explain. I am terrified of the dentist and the feeling of hopelessness that I'll never be able to afford the work I need.
    At times I get very suicidal because hiding my teeth is always at the front of my mind. I used to be a fun guy everyone wanted to know and now I'm misunderstood for a snob, or an . I never talk.. I feel stuck inside this body.. trapped in shame. My teeth are in shambles. After recently having one of my front teeth break in half, I've decided I can't live life anymore if I don't start taking steps to get this fixed.
    To circumvent a lot of explanation I'll just say that I've squandered a great amount of time and opportunity because of this horrible insecurity that just gets worse each day. I just got a job where I can make 3-500 dollars a week. I don't have any money saved now. But, I have no bills, and am living rent free. I really need to seize this chance and I need guidance.
    I have so much love and personality, and potential in me that I've had to hold back for too many years now. I'm still so young, this can't go on any further. I'll do anything, I'll move anywhere. I want more than anything to just be able to smile and make other people smile. And even though I understand that I ultimately did this to myself (even though there are other huge factors) I feel like I have been robbed of my life.
    I am absolutely terrified of going to a 'normal' dentist. My teeth literally are some of the worst teeth anyone could see in their life.
    The hope I have in making this post is maybe finding out something like.. A school that deems themselves one of the best, where restoring a really bad case like mine would be good for it's students to see..
    I know in extremely rare cases a persons entire restoration has been 'sponsored'. I mean.. I don't really anything about it.. is there any way to apply for help in a desperate situation.. I know I said I had a job and no bills and rent free but this JUST happened.
    I have a lot of history but I just wanted to cut to the chase..
    If you can pass on some wisdom please do. Please understand that a lot of my problem is psychological from being so insecure and I can't make bold decisions.
    Thank you.
    Well look at it this way. It will take time you got to allow yourself time. It didn't take overnight for this to get this bad so it won't take over night to fix this! Find a place to start and slowly go with it
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 16, 2009, 11:22 PM

My son (who is 38) has been going to a wonderful dentist who does work using sedation. The dentist can do a lot of work within 3 hours' time, and to the patient, it seems like seconds. Daniel has had no pain afterwards, but was given a prescription for pain pills if he needed them. An evaluation won't hurt, and you will find out at least what your options (and cost) are. Just think how nice-looking teeth will help you with your work and social life!
    yantan2006 Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Apr 17, 2009, 12:00 AM
    Hi Dear,

I have read your post. First of all I am sorry as I feel my English is not so good. However I feel confident that I will be able to help you.

I had a time as you described in you post. Fornutatily psychology has been one of my best subjects I am so intrested in. What I have concluded

1. You are over obsessed with the thought of your Physical apperence. Especially of your teeth. It is 110% cureable... just cool and keep on reading...

This feeling is called obssession in psycholog. And in most of the cases a patient commit suicide. If you go to a doctor. They will give you a very warm welcome and in a very quite atmophere he or she will listen to your worries, with full attention and sympathy.

When you will start telling how you feel. He will listen to you very carefuly. With a pensel and blank paper and if he has any doubt he might ask you a question. Otherwise he will keep listening to your concerns.

When you have finished telling your story. You will feel as if you have lightened the his duty stats. With a smile he will say he has fully understood what you said. And tell you are in obsession. (as he did to me)

He put me on 2 tablet medicaion. For not more then 1 or 2 weeks. In most severe cases he might admit you for not more then 1 week. Which I donot see is your case at present.

When you are cured you will start loving you life again.

Always remember those who meet you heartly and warmly in this condition. They are your real friends and those who turn their back are selfish, mean or just not sincere with you. You thank God you are in a condition and can differenciate between true and selfish friends. Of course your time will come again. When every thing will be all right and you will be living life as you did and desire. Such time comes in most of the people. Turn around and see surly you will find people who are even in worse condition then this. But they do not make it there weakness. They try to enjoy their life up to their level best.

Keep on reading... 2 option.

2. find a qulified certified hypnoterapist. I believe his treatment might be little expensive. But it will cure you without any medication. He will just give you adivce in such way that it will remove any depression. Obsession. Fear from your mind. Surprised ? It is true. I have gone under treatment with a qulifed certified hypnoterapist. He will treat you just with advices. It is really a break though of this century. Amazing treatment.

3. Do not feel bad of your condition. And just do not think of it again. I tell you one thing if you keep thinking bad about you. You will definitely harm yourself. When ever you feel bad of a situation just start thinking this condition is temporary. You are doing your best to come out of it. And you are just not alone with this condition in this world. There are ten of thousends of people with your condition. But they just do not think the way you think. See how poor people in poor countries compromise with such conditions just because they can not afford the treatment.

If the feeling comes to you again and again you are in obsession. See psychiatrist immediately.

You did not mention your age. If you are in age of 18-25. Such thing happens in every child life. Some take it seriously as you did. Some just ignore it and forget.

Believe me. You Are All right. There is Noting worng with you.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2009, 06:13 AM

cabarello,

Congratulations! You have taken the first step and a big one too... asking for help.

If there is a Dental School near where you live, give them a call and let them know that you are interested in being seen by their dental students. The costs are usually minimal (often just the cost of materials used).

If you have a lot of dental work needing to be done and you want to get it all taken care of at once, having a general anaesthetic (put to sleep) would be a good way to have your treatment completed. There ARE risks to this kind of anaesthetic as there are to any sedation methods.

You must get the teeth addressed that are worst first. If there are infections at the root tips and the teeth can't be saved have them removed as this infection can affect your whole body. These infections can make you feel generally unwell and have been known to cause death (not wanting to scare you but want you to be aware of this).

You have a lot of work ahead of you but it will be well worth it once it's completed and you are smiling wide again. :) I wish you all the best and please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In need of some guidance. [ 20 Answers ]

Ever since I broke up with my girlfriend a year ago I have never been the same. My emotions are always running wild, from anger to just plain old crying at times. I always find myself listening to depressing music and I always feel down. I'm not sure how to explain but I feel like I'm desperate to...

In need of guidance from NY [ 1 Answers ]

I was arrested last October. I had purchased a couple of handbags online about a year prior and needed some money so I took them to a place that sells your stuff on eBay for you. They listed the bags but found that they weren't authentic and had me arrested. My charge was only a misdemeanor and I...

Need some guidance [ 2 Answers ]

I want to write up a basic philosophy about how I want to live my life. I want it touch on pretty much every aspect necessary. I feel that by doing so, I will be putting a lot of thought into things that I've basically just done out of habit and conditioning for years. I don't intend to...

Guidance [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there Im having a troubled time and would appreciate some guidance on the career and romance fronts. My dob is 5 jun 74 and my initials are K P Thanks for your time.

View more questions Search