Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    roxy3214 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2009, 08:15 PM
    Puppy training
    We have a puppy, she is almost 6 months old. Only had her a month. Potty training is going well except when we leave. We take her out all the time! Whether we are gone for 20 min to the store or a few hours to work she always poops in the crate. I have her on a eating schedule so she has time to potty before we leave for work. I don't get upset if she has an accident when I'm gone long hours. Today for example. I was off, left for 20 min she went potty outside and then in the crate. Almost like she is doing it out of spite. I know that sounds crazy. She only poops in the house if we are gone. I've tried putting the crate in the kitchen, open. Putting a gate up and she will poop then trample around in it. Gets it on the walls and the cabinets. She gets a bath almost everyday, its like she rolls around in it. Please give me advice... I'm going crazy!!
    KnitWit Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Apr 16, 2009, 09:00 PM
    Oh lucky you! Look up The Dog Whisperer with Google. Watch NatGeo on cable TV (numerous programs play all the time but mainly Monday then Friday. Always at 11 a.m. on weekdays NatGeo.

Cesar Mellan is the best person for dogs I have EVER seen in my long life. Wish I'd had him when I was working with my shepherd pup. Trainers rarely know what to do. Cesar rehabilitates dogs and trains people. Dogs never have problems until their adults or "pack leaders" go "bad" on them. It's true. WE (the people) make our dogs nuts.

Starting with a puppy is heaven. Now is the time to get Cesar's DVDs, books, watch on cable or dish and do just as he says. If I had a pup right now and I was having one tiny problem (wetting or barking or getting up on things he should not, you name it) and I had the money I would take that baby to L.A. and work with Cesar. It would take a day or two with a pup. He has a "Boot Camp" for traumatized dogs. He adores Rotties and Pitbulls, and you come to see how sweet they are. They are only nasty when people harm them. I just watched him work with a gorgeous German Shepherd today, and it was awesome.

My wish would be to go to L.A. and just sit in the middle of his "pack" of about 30 dogs (sometimes more) and feel the calmness of those dogs. The Pitbull is named "Big Daddy" and he helps Cesar get other dogs in line. He belongs or did to a rapper down there, but he lives with Cesar now. He's adorable.

Don't do anything but this that I've outlined. Trust me on it, please. You will have your puppy trained probably by 3-4 months (like Big Daddy), and you won't have problems with it in any manner unless you fail to be a good pack leader. And please, NEVER strike or jerk your dog. There is a tiny little "jerk" up or sideways Cesar uses with the collar just to "snap" the dog's brain back onto the business of the day.

Walk, walk, walk, run, run, run your dog daily without a hitch. Bike and let him pull. Skate and let him pull you. EVERY DAY for at LEAST an hour or more wear the dog out and get all the energy out BEFORE you do any work with it otherwise you will fail. I can guarantee it.

Enjoy your new baby!! I'm jealous!! :o
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2009, 04:01 AM

Have you tried using puppy training pads?
    I know it's not nice having your dog poop in your house but if you can get her to go on the pads instead of her bed and on the floor it will mke clean-up a lot easier!

I didn't fully understand your question though... is she locked in the crate while you are out or do you let her roam free and have the door of the crate open so she can get into it?

Apr 18, 2009, 12:10 PM
    I want to again really encourage you to get Milan's DVD on training (I thought the puppy was wee, but ANY age is okay). You don't need anything but knowing how to stop unwanted behavior with one or two simple sounds and substituting one thing for another (such as poop or pee on floor). You CAN trust a dog in the house once you work just a little while with the dog using Milan's methods. I guarantee it. I've watched about 100 episodes, and I know he's the best. Most trainers do not know what they are doing. Even Dogtown is doing a LOT wrong, but bless them for saving the lives of dogs. They could just get things done in a day or two (not hard cases) rather than the weeks. They reward fear that needs to be dealt with much differently.

Never cuddle a fearful dog for example. You use a couple of Cesar's methods, and it all goes away with new behaviors you teach. I watched Cesar work with a dog that pooped all over the house plus ate everything in sight (bad stuff), and he substituted a banana (shape was what he was going for, and the pup would eat anything so why not?) and positive feedback when the dog began to ignore the poop and preferred the banana. He spent a month or more with the dog taking it with him to his pack and then on the road where the dog learned how to help other dogs become "calm and submissive," and he quashed every bad habit right away.

If a dog has never been around other dogs (not socialized from the get-go), is scared of dogs, tries to fight every dog, it usually has to go be at the "Boot Camp" Cesar has using his 20-30 dogs to help teach "messed up" dogs, and again, age is not ever a problem. He can turn a mean pitbull into a " cat" in a month or two (these are hard cases). Pitbulls are born sweet and loving. They are made to be mean by their owners.

Happy training!

Apr 18, 2009, 12:23 PM
    You won't need any expensive things or newspapers on floor or whatever to train the pup including using house as place to poop or pee. Cages can be used less and less (I see them disappear after a visit from Cesar unless it's the choice of the dog to go there or to keep it safe from something going on).

Just go visit Welcome to Cesar Millan's Official Web Site (he's the best of the best). There are other "dog whisperers" but I've NEVER seen anything like how this man works with dogs, and it's so quick and gentle. He can even help with "red zone" and hard cases. His DVDs are sold from the website and probably Amazon. He also has books. Just follow what he teaches. It will save you hundreds of dollars and lots of wasted time and possibly a very frustrated dog who has no dog manners in the end. Just do yourself a big favor.

I am NOT connected to Cesar Melan (as in agent or whatever). I am just SO impressed I can't shut up! LOL!!

Apr 18, 2009, 12:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Have you tried using puppy training pads?
    I know it's not nice having your dog poop in your house but if you can get her to go on the pads instead of her bed and on the floor it will mke clean-up a lot easier!

I didn't fully understand your question though... is she locked in the crate while you are out or do you let her roam free and have the door of the crate open so she can get into it?

I just noticed on Cesar's site that he's going to Australia soon!! Maybe you will be near and can see him for the fun of it! :o)

Oh, and forget pads. Dogs pee and poop on floor out of fear, anger, whatever. You need nothing more than to learn Cesar's simple ways of getting past it and quite quickly!
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2009, 12:28 PM

Pitbulls are born sweet and loving. They are made to be mean by their owners.
    Sorry but no, while there are some loving good natured ones out there they were bred as a fighting breed and are naturally aggressive, hence why they are on the dangerous dogs list and why 90% of dog attacks are by pit bulls

Some of his techniques are good but I like some of my dogs quirky traits like licking my face and snuggling when she's scared. She has been a nervous dog since birth and something like that can't be trained out of them.
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2009, 12:29 PM
    One of my friends is going... he is charging like $700 for tickets, hence why I don't like him, he's out to make money not help dogs
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Apr 18, 2009, 12:39 PM
    Sorry but no, while there are some loving good natured ones out there they were bred as a fighting breed and are naturally aggressive, hence why they are on the dangerous dogs list and why 90% of dog attacks are by pit bulls

Some of his techniques are good but I like some of my dogs quirky traits like licking my face and snuggling when she's scared. She has been a nervous dog since birth and somthing like that can't be trained out of them.
    Sorry Shazy, but I got to disagree although wouldn't want to give you a reddie for sure. Yes, they are a fighting breed, and this is the reason that if many people should NOT own them. Although it may be a trait, they certainly CAN be trained to never fight or attack. The problem is the owners, and not the breed. This is what Cesar Milan is trying to get out there to people. Pits and other powerful breeds do not have to be aggressive dogs. It's all in how they are trained. ;)

(still trying to find where you got your reddie?)
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2009, 12:44 PM

It depends on the dog though.
    I do agree with you that some things can be trained out of them and I also agree that upbringing has a lot to do with a dogs temperament... MOST of the time.

Aggression and fear are both things that some dogs are just born with and can't be fixed.
    A mildly aggressive dog can be fixed, as can a mildly timid dog but in the more extreme cases, it can't.. this is from experience.

Just because this Caesar guy is famous doesn't mean he does things differently to narmal dog trainers, he just got a TV contract.

My poodle was intended for show but no amount of training, medicines (we even tried brandy) could get her out of her timid ways, it's a part of her personality.

Thanks for not giving me a reddie :)
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Apr 18, 2009, 12:56 PM

Yes, there are many decent trainers out there, but have you ever studied Cesars methods? I realise he's all Hollywood and all, but once you actually understand his methods, it's just really common sense. I've seen many TV episodes and dvd's, where he takes a red zone dog with really bad behavioural problems, such as a Pit or whatever breed, and can bring that dog back into balance. He does care about the dogs, and you can see that is his passion.

But, you have to remember, since he does have a "contract", he is not the one in charge of how much they charge for things like tickets to his shows. That is the marketing company, and the network, etc.'s doings! They hired him, and he now has to follow what is required.
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2009, 01:05 PM

Yeah, sorry if I sounded harsh.
    You do have a point, I have only seen a few episodes and just thought to myself, that's what I do anyway! But there is no doubt more to his training than I have seen.
    Apologies again, I'm going to head to bed now before I get myself into trouble :)
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Apr 18, 2009, 01:33 PM
    Yeah, sorry if I sounded harsh.
    You do have a point, I have only seen a few episodes and just thought to myself, that's what I do anyway! But there is no doubt more to his training than I have seen.
    Apologies again, I'm going to head to bed now before I get myself into trouble :)
    No trouble here Shaz! :)
    JADE13 Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

Apr 18, 2009, 02:27 PM
    I have a 4 month old Yorkie Mix that I tried crate training and it didn't work. I got him at 8 weeks old and After a couple of days of finding poop in the crate and him lying on it, I decided to do it another way. I knew the pup was raised in a baby playpen so he did everything in the same confined place such eat, poop, play, etc... I think this kind of screwed up his natural instincts of not pooping where he sleeps. At night when I couldn't keep a close eye on him, I had him in a confined area with a litter pan lined with a wee wee pad. This kind of worked out because he kept his blanket clean and used the pan at night when I'm sleeping. When they are so little, they have to go often and cannot hold it more than a couple of hours at a time. He is now 4 months old, can hold it all night and sleeps at the foot of my bed.

Because he didn't have all his shots yet, he has been basically an indoor dog. After a few weeks of the wee wee pads I decided to change to something else because he would sometimes chew on it and I hated the wet paws. I broke down and invested in one of those indoor grid systems and it worked like a charm. My pup took on to it immediately and it is so easy to clean. I'm using wee wee pads to line it but eventually I'll probably use newspaper to save some money and better for the environment.
    rockinsmile089 Posts: 40, Reputation: 3

Apr 24, 2009, 02:21 PM

Go onto my website yorkierox.webs.com
    rockinsmile089 Posts: 40, Reputation: 3

Apr 24, 2009, 02:21 PM

Yorkiesrox.webs.com
    JADE13 Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

Apr 25, 2009, 11:09 PM
    Hi Rockinsmile89! I checked out your website and I love it! I love reading the blogs written by kids all over the globe who has Yorkies, sooo cute! My Yorkie is mixed with Malteese & Shih Tso, but his personality I feel is pure Yorkie. He is only 4 months old but already the light of my life. I am so lucky to be his human mommy.

I also saw the video on the Yorkie puppy mill, so incredibly sad and tragic. Human beings can be so cruel sometimes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Training my puppy. [ 15 Answers ]

I was wondering what I should be training my nine week old puppy to do. So far she asks to go to outside to go potty(not consistently, but she will whine or stare at me) and I can get her to sit when I have her attention(which at nine weeks is hard to keep :P). Is there a website or a chart...

Training my puppy. [ 2 Answers ]

:confused:ok so I have a one yr old morkie.. I have had him since he was just 3 months old.. and he was fine then.. but now he's crazy lol... he will run around the house being crazy... if I try to pet him he will back up even when I have food in my hand and I call him he will come to me but won't...

Puppy training [ 1 Answers ]

Have a 1.5yr. Tea cup maltease/ till last month perfectly potty trained now poops in living room - only occasionally on potty pad where she was originally trained- 1 out of 3 in the proper place

Puppy training [ 1 Answers ]

:) hey I have a 8week old collie,just wanted to know the best tips for toilet training her.

View more questions Search