Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PCD1978 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2009, 04:59 PM
    Received Summons today
    Hey everyone,

I just received a court summons regarding my student loan from Portfolio Recovery today. The amount I owe is $1200 dollars. I have never been through anything like this before so please tell me what's the best idea to take care of this situation. I have the full amount available to pay but should I call the debt collector and pay them full or try to reach a settlement with them? Also do I have to call the court as well as the lawyers to let them know I paid or will Portfolio drop the summons altogether? I just want to take care of this ASAP and want to avoid getting into this crap again in the future. I am new to all this legal jargon so any help would be greatly appreciated!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 16, 2009, 05:14 PM

I would suggest you contact the original creditor, if possible. If you contact the collection agency you will get the run around and they will try and recover their fee for buying out this debt. I wish you luck and commend you for being honest regarding your commitments.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Received a summons for old debt [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I received a summons on my door for a credit card debt. As Im obviously an idiot I've been ignoring letters debt collectors have been sending me simply because I don't have the money to pay. This one however is a bit different unlike my other debts I have no idea what this pertains...

I received a summons [ 5 Answers ]

I have a lot a credit card debt to the tune of 35,000. I was at one time a month behind some some of my payments and immediately put the card under debt management to avoid bad credit and law suits. I have been paying monthly under my debt management program for three months now and I got a...

Not sure if I received a summons when I was in Iraq [ 3 Answers ]

I am in the military and just got back from a 5 month deployment to Iraq, My mother informed me that she got a phone call from some lawyer saying I owed for unpaid credit cards, then she got a letter for me in the mail from the lawyer and she sent it back without opening it, this debt has past the...

Received 10 day summons.how to respond? [ 6 Answers ]

I received a summons and am required to file an answer in writing. Is there a special form that I need or do I just write a formal letter? Also... do I have to pay the amount that they are asking? (Way more than I can afford and also, I feel that it is a ridiculous amount it is way more than what I...

Received a Summons [ 1 Answers ]

I recently received a summons by certified mail. It was from an attorney representing Applied Card Bank. This debt is from 2001. I never had any dealing with this bank, but I believe it was formerly Cross Country Bank. My question is. The summons has no account number or any information about this...

View more questions Search