Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Insane09 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2009, 10:24 AM
    Time to exercise?
    When is the best time of day to exercise?
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2009, 10:27 AM

I think morning. It gives you such a great start for the day ahead.

I also like to do some light exercising before bed, jump in the shower and feel ready to conquer tomorrow.

Sarah
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Apr 16, 2009, 10:28 AM

I saw on a talk show that that the best time to exercise is in the morning because your metabolism is faster in the morning than any other time of the day so you can burn more calories. You can also get a boost of energy.
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Apr 16, 2009, 10:34 AM

Hi herman! :)
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2009, 03:22 PM

The best time is when you will actually do it... :) For some people mornings work best, for others, later in the day works best. There are reasons both can be a good choice, but it is going to come down to the individual.

Try one time of the day for a week then the other and see how you feel during and afterwards. Go with what will work with your schedule, your natural body rhythm... are you are morning person? and what you will be consistent with.
    woodpony22 Posts: 15, Reputation: 3

Apr 22, 2009, 08:07 PM
    I have been a personal trainer for nearly 30 years and DoulaLC gave the correct answer. Fitness is a lifestyle and if it doesn't fit yours then you won't follow through. I tell my clients to tell me when and how much time they feel they have available and I will design a program to fit that schedule. I also do not advise changing any other habits during the development of an exercise program. Smoking, drinking, eating... change nothing! Fitness creates its own set of guidelines for you. The 'good vibes" you get from exercise will change the way you view the things you do. You'll smoke less naturally because of the way exercise makes you feel. Exercise is a lifestyle... same as smoking, drinking or eating. The more you enjoy exercise the more you will shy away from those things that affect that enjoyment. Moderation in all things.
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Apr 22, 2009, 08:12 PM

I do believe that it would depend on your fitness goals. If general fitness is what you're after then anytime is a good time. If weight loss is your goal, I have always been of the mindset that first thing in the morning is the best time. Your glycogen levels will have been depleted during sleep and therefore your body will have to resort to burning fat cells for fuel.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2009, 04:47 PM
    The best time is often morning, or as soon as possible, as many have said... but also you need to consider your goals, life, body, as mark also said.

If you are looking for weight loss, the earliest you can do it, the better. First, getting the workout done means its done... no "ill do it later" noise... then later is later is later is too late. Getting the workout in early AM or over lunch means it is checked off the list. I don't get up many mornings before God and the army because I want to. Its just the best way to ensure ill work out. Otherwise ill try to make deals with myself later.

Second, if you are looking to lose weight, that morning workout amps up your metabolism for the good part of the day when you are eating. This is especially helpful if you are doing what I think most should do... have a much smaller dinner and either bigger (not obscene) breakfasts and lunches, or better... 5-7 smaller "snacks" throughout the day instead of that 30 minutes to stuff your face.

Last, if you get a morning workout in, it leaves the possibility of an evening workout. For ex, if I do weights in the AM, I might take a walk or bike ride in the evening. Not always, but it leaves you with a possible second workout.

Honestly, there are some workouts I just cannot do early AM. I need to be moving my body some before I do some workouts, especially those that deal with my back. Its not weak, but takes time to loosen up. Hard back work is better for me to do later in the AM or at lunch.

All that said, I used to love to bike at night. Had a great trail and a road I could use without real fear of traffic. Doing that at night just let the world melt away and the night air felt great.

So... like was mentioned... make it a routine, whatever you do. If early AM makes you miserable, you probably won't do it. Find a way to make time that makes sense... and give it 6-8 weeks.

I think it takes that long for a "chore" to become a "habit" that you just naturally do.

Also... keep a workout journal. It's a great way to keep yourself on track.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is it bad to exercise before bed? [ 38 Answers ]

Why is it bad to exercise before bed?

Am I doing enough exercise? [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone tell me if I'm doing enough exercise? I play volleyball twice a week for an hour and walk home from school 3 times a week which takes about an hour as well. In Autumn and Winter I play hockey but it's Spring now so I'm not playing until next year. I feel lazy now that I'm not playing...

No time to diet or exercise. [ 23 Answers ]

What are some suggestions for losing weight for someone that works 10-19 hours a day?

Exercise with nothing. [ 4 Answers ]

OK so I want to lose weight in about 4 months and I want to lose like 30-40 lbs.. I'm 5'2 about 150 lbs I don't have anything and I don't have ANY money to buy stuff.. so all I do is push ups and run . And stuff like that.. Any one have any better ideas of working out... And how I could get to...

The best way to exercise? [ 6 Answers ]

Okay so I have been exercising for quite sometime now and have tried different things, at one point I was working out three times a week doing at least one exercise per muscle. Then I was doing two exercises per muscle and started doing protein shakes and bars and all the other stuff. Finally...

View more questions Search