Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nylaj Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2009, 08:20 AM
    Deed to mobile home not given at sale
    I am trying to sell a mobile home I bought for cash last year, I have a buyer bt can't find former owner who never gave a deed to me. I only got a sales receipt that is not notorized. How can I sell?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 16, 2009, 08:41 AM

Mobile homes generally have a title like a car rather than a deed, unless you are also selling the land. Take your bill of sale to your local DMV to get a title certificate.

Apr 16, 2009, 08:50 AM
    Scott, Are you sure? This is a mobile home in a park,the park has no claim on the mobile.

Apr 16, 2009, 09:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nylaj View Post
    Scott, Are you sure? This is a mobile home in a park,the park has no claim on the mobile.
    I'm pretty sure. If its in a park, then definitely the land isn't included. What state is this?

Apr 16, 2009, 09:55 AM
    It's in Exeter,N.H.

Apr 16, 2009, 10:18 AM

From what I can find out, what I said earlier is correct. Contact your local DMV to confirm

Apr 20, 2009, 12:54 PM
    Mobile home sold illegally?
    I paid 20k 1 year ago for a mobile home and was about to sell it and found out the former owner never paid off their mortgage for it plus the IRS has a lien on it. How can I get my money back?
    FreeSpirit777 Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Apr 20, 2009, 12:57 PM

First, who did you give the 20K to? Did a bank finance or was it cash? Before I can assist, I need to know that info.

Apr 20, 2009, 01:03 PM
    This was a cash transaction between myself and the owner

Apr 20, 2009, 01:13 PM
    Ok then... the Seller had knowledge of the lien(s) and you have a right to file suit in court. Now, does this person own any real estate (mobile homes not attached to land are NOT real estate)? If so you can place a judgement against those properties and/or the Seller. Even if real estate is not owned you can still get a judgement. The lien holder and the IRS are going to most likely seize the mobile home. You'll have to go after the Seller and I am sure you know this now but when you buy a car/mobile home... go through a bank or financial institution. If you are buying real estate, always, always go through a title company. In this way, you know all liens are released and if there are problems down the road the bank or title company is held responsible. Hope this helps.

Apr 20, 2009, 01:19 PM
    Thank you, I was in a bad place when I bought too hastily.

Apr 20, 2009, 01:26 PM
    You are welcome. I do understand. We all make mistakes... I do too.

Apr 20, 2009, 02:10 PM

I've merged your two threads since they are of the same issue.

You might take a different tack here. This whole transaction smacks of fraud. So I would talk to the county prosecutor or DA about filing fraud charges against the seller.

You may still have to sue him to get your money back, but having a criminal fraud charge hanging over his head may be a stronger incentive to return the money to you.

However, if you can't find the previous owner (as you said) in your initial post. Then you may be out the money. Another possibility is to see if you can assume the mortgage and get title so you can sell it. But that may cost you a lot more then losing the $20K

Apr 21, 2009, 04:46 AM
    I am contacting the NH Legal Aid today and hopefully will be able to file a fraud case against the seller, I know I am probably out the 20k but, hopefully something will go my way. I do not want to pursue ownership of this trailer, it's too messed up legally and my funds are limited. I do hope the seller will have to face the liens and are contacted by their mortgage company(found out it's not paid off either) I'm 61 and tired of fighting people like this. I'm grateful for people like you Scott, thank you.

Apr 21, 2009, 05:39 AM

What will probably happen, is the lender will repo the mobile home and sell it at auction. They and the IRS will then go after the seller, though I doubt if they will succeed.

The only other item I can suggest to you, is to check whether you can claim the loss of the $20K on your taxes.

Apr 21, 2009, 05:43 AM
    Thanks Scott, you are a bright spot in all of this mess!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am a buyer for a contract for deed on a mobile home [ 4 Answers ]

I have been paying on the contract for deed on time every month for five years. We have noticed that some of our payments that we give to the man we are buying the house from has not been being made to the bank. We want out of the contract but we have made several to get someone else in the home...

Mobile Home For Sale [ 1 Answers ]

I have a mobile home I want to sell and was wondering what would be the easiest way to go about selling it. It is in fairly good condition-has been well taken care of-but, since I drive a truck I don't have time to go through and paint etc. Do you have to have a place looking like new to sell it?

Misrepresentation of sale of mobile home [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a mobile home, and the owner and I had a verbal agreement about the mobile homes condition that it was okay.. the owner saying that it would be fine for up to 5 years.it has been a year and everything is falling apart.. I have already spent up to 4,000 dollars fixing it within a year.. my...

Mobile home for sale [ 1 Answers ]

I have a mobile home for sale that sits on aproximetly a half acre lot I own but I can't seem to sell outright because banks won't give loans because it is a mobile home should I sell it land contract

View more questions Search