Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fuzzball_Kara Posts: 279, Reputation: 74

Apr 15, 2009, 08:01 PM
    Little hurt in my new piercing
    Hey guys. I just got my ear pierced with the gun in my cartilage. It hurts a bit when I touch around it and its like slightly swollen. It doesn't hurt when I twist it to clean in unless I hit the skin and it hurts a little when I sleep on it. I making sure this is OK. Cause I don't think it could be infected.
    Also. What would you guys recommend for me to clean my ear with. I left my cleaner three hours away and I live in a dorm with no car. I have peroxide but I heard it wasn't that great for it. I have limited resources but what would you suggest?
    jorgen182 Posts: 8, Reputation: 0

Apr 15, 2009, 08:54 PM

Take the piercing out.
    rockerchick_682 Posts: 496, Reputation: 72

Apr 15, 2009, 09:05 PM
    Cartilage piercings take the longest to heal. You're right, never use hydrogen peroxide, dissolving salt in water and heating it in a microwave is the best way to clean a piercing, but make sure not to make it so hot that it hurts your skin. You can either use a q-tip or if you can, submerge your ear in the water for a couple of minutes.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2009, 09:09 PM

You can use Bactine which you can find at any local pharmacy. It's not as harsh as peroxide and also has a anesthetic to help ease the pain.

Refrain from touching it because you are more likely to cause it to be infected. If you only got one ear done, try not to sleep on that side.

If you notice puss or an odor, take it out immediately because it has become infected.

Cartilage sometimes takes longer to heal than lobes so some pain afterwards is normal.

Apr 16, 2009, 07:25 AM

Thank you guys very much. My ear gets a little better everyday. I soaked it in some water a few days ago for about half an hour and it actually felt pretty good. Jogen, I appreciate your opinion but I have different ones. Thank you all
    xoxaprilwine Posts: 582, Reputation: 71

Apr 18, 2009, 12:12 PM

You can use 8 oz warm water and 1/4 sea salt - soak for 10 about 3x a week. Bactine 2x a day, use q-tip and turn each cleaning. Basically only clean it 2-3x a day.

Use Advil or Ibprophine (sp?) (pain and swelling) and ice (I find it helps regardless), try not to sleep on it and don't over clean it of fidget with it (pick it) as it may remove good bacteria... if green stuff comes out then I would be concerned.

Good luck.

Apr 18, 2009, 08:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xoxaprilwine View Post
    You can use 8 oz warm water and 1/4 sea salt - soak for 10 about 3x a week. Bactine 2x a day, use q-tip and turn each cleaning. Basically only clean it 2-3x a day.

Use Advil or Ibprophine (sp?) (pain and swelling) and ice (I find it helps regardless), try not to sleep on it and don't over clean it of fidget with it (pick it) as it may remove good bacteria...if green stuff comes out then I would be concerned.

Good luck.
    Thanks much! My ear is getting a lot better thanks to all the help. I appreciate it. =D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much does a tongue piercing hurt? [ 27 Answers ]

How much does a tongue piercing hurt? I have never had any piercing before I have a very high tolerance with pain but I'm horrible with needles

Does a tragus piercing really hurt? [ 79 Answers ]

I have a question!! Does a tragus piercing really hurst? because I want to get one. Is it better 2get it with a needle or a gun?? and does it infect the ear?because almost all my cartillage piercing have bumps now I don't why... mayb I didn't take good care of it. And does it require to be 18 in...

Tragus piercing hurt? [ 14 Answers ]

Okay, so I asked my mum if I could get my tragus pierced, she said yes. Now, I'm just wondering where it is on pain level.. I've had my cartilige done, and I'm just wondering if its more or less painful, I have a high tolerance for pain, also my friend and I got our bellybuttons pierced, and...

Does tongue piercing hurt? [ 29 Answers ]

Hey guys I'm 15 and id like to get my tongue piercied profesionally but I'm scared that it hurts.does it hurt?and does blood come out? Message me asap tnx

Does nose piercing hurt? [ 3 Answers ]

Does nose piercing hurt and how long does it take to heal and what should I clean it with

View more questions Search