Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tgodbold Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2009, 10:04 AM
    Rules for spelling out numbers in a letter.
    When writing a business letter, what is the rule for spelling out numbers and using just the numeral?
    Gregisteredtrademark Posts: 226, Reputation: 35

Apr 15, 2009, 01:00 PM

According to the APA Publication Manual, you should use words to express any number that begins a sentence, title, or text heading. (Whenever possible, reword the sentence to avoid beginning with a number.)

For example:

Ten participants answered the questionnaire.

Forty-eight percent of the sample showed an increase; 2% showed no change.

Four patients improved, and 4 patients did not improve.
    dawgsnkats Posts: 130, Reputation: 7

May 2, 2009, 10:02 PM

Remember, in business everything you write can be considered a contract. It is best practice to use numbers and words when describing values. This leaves nothing to error when engaged in price or performance. The APA is a good reference for publishing.
    LucyBennett Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2009, 12:21 PM
    For a little more detail, the AP Style book is helpful. Here's my summary of AP's rules:

General: Spell out whole numbers one through eleven.

Main Exception: Numbers at the beginning of a sentence are always spelled out. Sometimes it's easier to just rewrite the sentence. One exception to this rule is a calendar year. Example: 2009 was a good year.

The following are ALWAYS figures:
    • Ages
    • Measurements and dimensions
    • Monetary units
    • Million, billion
    • Percentages
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2009, 02:31 PM

Another rule I follow is that if a number is in the body of the letter (not the start of a sentence) I write out single digit numbers, and use numerals for larger numbers. It's less awkward than, for example, writing out "Two hundred and seventy two thousand four hundred dollars" to write "$273,400." Our brains do not process large numbers that are written out very well.

And another option is to do both:

"As we discussed, the overall cost for completing the new hospital wing will be One million, two hundred thousand dollars ($1.2 million)."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Greek last name spelling [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to find out how to write my friend's last name in Greek. I have something special picked as a gift and I want them engraved. Their last name is: "CHANGARIS" I would appreciate any help here, I don't know where to go to...

Why would a painting have a signature and a letter/numbers below the paint edge? [ 1 Answers ]

Letters w/numbers below the paint line means?

Letters are numbers and num lock off no numbers [ 2 Answers ]

I cannot get my hp pavilion notebook to respond, it started all of a sudden. When my num lock is on my letters on the keyboard turn into numbers... I=5 and so forth. Now when my num lock is off my keyboard works fine but I cannot use the number pad. I tried the fn key with almost every key on the...

Spelling to get into Heaven [ 4 Answers ]

Spelling to get into Heaven A woman arrived at the Gates of Heaven. While she was waiting for Saint Peter to greet her, she peeked through the gates. She saw a beautiful banquet table. Sitting all around were her parents and all the other people she had loved and who had died before her. They...

Spelling [ 33 Answers ]

Is the horrible spelling I see posted by a lot of the younger people a txt messaging short hand I must stumble though or just poor spelling skills?

View more questions Search