Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aas Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2009, 09:04 AM
    EPS trends versus cash-flow trends
    I got an assignment about equity valuation. The case is basically about EPS calculation. In the book, it was stated that cash-flow per share is an alternative to analyze equity value. But, in what circumstance you prefer to use cash-flow trends rather than EPS trend? What are the advantages and disadvantages of looking at cash-flow trends instead of EPS trends? Which methods you prefer best? Why?

Thank you... :D
    codyman144 Posts: 544, Reputation: 31

Apr 16, 2009, 06:56 AM

I can't do the work for you. If you want to post your ideas on this subject I will discuss it. But I'm not doing your assignment for you.
    aas Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2009, 07:36 AM

Well actually my question in this forum is not my assignment's questions.. in the assignment, which I've already submitted last week, I was only asked to calculate the primary EPS, diluted EPS and the cash flow per share.. but I'm just wondering what is the difference in using both methods?

In simple EPS calculation we divided NET INCOME with WASO and in CF/Share, we divided NET INCOME + Depreciation (or NET INCOME + Dep (1-tax) or EBITDA) with the weighted average of shares outstanding.. so it basically similar, based on Net income, the only difference in CF it was also added by depreciation, etc..

Well, I don't have accounting background, so I'm just wondering whether you could give me some insights about the difference of using both methods? Whether each methods have their own advantages/disadvantages, so we have to considered the circumstance first before deciding on the methods to use? If that so, in what kind of circumstance we decide to use one method over the other?

It's a little bit hard for me to express my confusion in english.. correct me if I'm wrong, but I notice that in CF/share, the non-cash (dep&ammort) was added back to the net income.. what is the effect of adding it back? I know it was part of the operating CF calculation to calculate how much cash owned by the company.. but still, it basically generated from earnings..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I be with the right trends at the right time [ 8 Answers ]

All my mates always know what the latest songs are and I only find out what they are when their getting old. How can I find out what the trends are at the moment?

Curent research trends in physics [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have completed post graduation in physics and working as lecturer in an engineering college.I like to do research in part time leading to Ph.D.Please suggest me which area ,either theorectical or experimental would better suit me.

Periodic trends and electron configuration? [ 2 Answers ]

Sodium forms a +1 ion while fluorine forms a -1 ion. Please explain why they do not form +2 and -2 ions, respectively. Use electron configurations and periodic trends to support your answer.

View more questions Search