Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wizz Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2006, 01:00 PM
    IE displays page not found
    Hi, I'm new to all this and I need some help.

My modem has got both lights on so I'm assuming I'm connected to the internet. However when I try to open IE it comes up with page cannot be displayed.

I'm using XP. I've checked all my settings in Internet Options.
    I've tried repairing IE and tried disabling the anti virus software.
    I would appreciate any advice on what to do.

Cheers
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 14, 2006, 01:07 PM
    Try deleting all Temp Internet files. You also need to confirm your connection. Go to Start>run type CMD to open a command prompt then type Ping yahoo.com and see if it returns 4 values.

Sep 15, 2006, 02:45 AM
    I've tried deleting temporary internet files.

When I ping yahoo.com it says it can't be found.

I've phoned up my ISP who gave me an IP address and DNS to enter manually but it still displays page cannot be found when I open IE.

Thanks
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2006, 03:23 AM
    If you can't ping Yahoo, then it sounds like you don't have your modem etc. set up correctly. I would guess the problem is that the modem isn't set up properly or your ISP hasn't activated something. Personally I would phone your ISP's support line again. They should be able to talk you through setting things up.

Sep 15, 2006, 06:01 AM
    What LT said. You don't indicate if this is a dialup or broadband modem, but you are not getting an Internet connection, so your ISP needs to troubelshoot it.

Sep 15, 2006, 07:20 AM
    I use broadband and have tried everything I can think of.

When you logon a screen appears saying TCP/IP transport isn't installed.
    (Don't know whether this has something to do with it)

I can ping my default gateway but cannot ping a name.

I've phoned up my ISP and got my DNS server address and put it in manually.

How would I go about repairing IE?

The icon in the taskbar says I'm connected but it's still the same opening IE, page cannot be displayed.

Thanks for all your help
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2006, 08:04 AM
    First of all, this isn't a problem with IE. It's Windows. Other programs other than IE will be having the same problem so repairing IE won't do anything.

Could you do the following for us and report back what you see. I'm assuming you have Windows XP.
    • Click on Start >> Control Panel
    • If you are in classic view, double click on Network Connections.
      If you are in category view, choose "Network and Internet Connections" and then choose "Network Connections".
    • Let us know what is shown in this new window.
    • If you have anything named something like "Local Area Connection", right click on that and choose properties. In the box labelled "This connection uses the following items:", do you see something called "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)"? If you have more than one Local Area Connection, check each one.

Sep 15, 2006, 10:51 AM
    Here is what is shown in the network connections window:

Dial up
    Alcatel speedtouch connection
    Firewalled, connected

LAN
    Local area connection 6
    Limited or no connectivity
    ( I can't see anything about TCP/IP in the properties)

Network Bridge
    Network Bridge
    Cable unplugged

Local area connection 3
    Disabled, bridged

Thanks
    financiallychallenged Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2006, 11:49 AM
    I have the same problem with one of my computers. I can connect for about 5 min. and then something must block my internet access because after that I get page not found. I can run outlook express and aim, but in order to get internet access, I must reboot my computer. I think I have virus that I can not find.
    It all began when my daughter clicked on a link in her aim IM that she though was a link sent by a friend- this is how the virus works. Once she clicked on it she released the rath of cyber hell into the system. All kinds of pop ups were coming up and up and up. I have finally gotten rid of what causes the pop ups but can't find or get rid of the virus that blocks the internet. If anyone has a quick fix or a product recommendation I would greatly appreciate it.

Sep 15, 2006, 12:14 PM
    You need to do virus and spyware scans on your system to find and clean out the malware.

By the way, this is not, in any way, similar to Wizz's problem. The symptom (inability to acces the Net) may be similar, but the cause and cure are very different.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dim Laptop Displays [ 7 Answers ]

This is a fairly common problem. Wondering if it is fixable (w/ out having to spend $300+ on parts and another $100 on labor). In my case we're dealing with a Toshiba Portege 2000. It boots and operates fine, but the display is extremely dim. Could it be loose connections? Or is the display...

I found a cat [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, To begin with, I found a cat hiding on the top of my tire in my car. I don't want to bring it to the animal control because I'm afraid she has no owner and I don't want her to be put to sleep. So instead, I'm making fliers and posting them around. So anyway, the cat doesn't want to eat or...

View more questions Search