Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    epi Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Sep 14, 2006, 12:45 PM
    Child support
    Could someone please explain to me what child support is to be used for
    Depressed in MO Posts: 571, Reputation: 94

Sep 14, 2006, 01:00 PM
    To support your child. In my opinion it is used for clothing,diapers, food, any school (if applicable) items-even so much as if it is going towards the custodial parent paying rent, or a utility bill, as to provide housing and electricity for the child to live under. Things such as that.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 14, 2006, 01:08 PM
    Each area can define it differently, but basically its use to feed, clothe, shelter and educate the child.

Sep 14, 2006, 01:09 PM
    Thank you because it is so confusing especially when your children throw it into your face thinking it belongs to them. I would like to see them get an apt and buy food , pay bills, etc.. on the child support...

Daughter is 18 now in college, son 19.. lives with dad...
    As long as daughter is in school , dad ordered to pay child support while in college. Should she take it all or half at college. She has meal plan, car, etc.

Sep 14, 2006, 01:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by epi
    Daughter is 18 now in college, son 19..lives with dad...
    As long as daughter is in school , dad ordered to pay child support while in college. Should she take it all or half at college. she has meal plan, car, ect.
    I must have had a dyslexia moment, I thought your son was 16:o . My bad.
    But, you are still right.
    Well, it's all up to you I guess. I understand what you mean about giving it all to her or just half, but even if she just gets half, and you get the rest for her, you will just be using it to get her what she needs anyway, right? Chances are, and please forgive me if I offend you because I don't know your daughter, that if she gets it all to herself, then she probably won't just use it on everything that she needs-as typically teenagers would spend the cash on things that they WANT. So, you can see how it goes with her having it all, and if it comes down to her needing your help because she put herself in debt or for whatever reasons, I would then tell her that the only way to help her get on her feet is to go back to where you help her control her money until she can learn how to budget (to be taught by you, of course). Hopefully, it won't come down to that. But my oldest is 8 and I already think of these case scenarios, so that is what I would do if I were in your situation.Well, those would be the options anyway...

Sep 14, 2006, 01:42 PM
    I think it is the way she is saying it to me that is upseting me the most. She is demanding and then having her dad call me backing her up. She doesn't need that money at school.. everything else is paid for , all her meals, etc, I feel she will just get into trouble.

Sep 14, 2006, 01:59 PM
    I know, I'm sure you would rather put it in a trust fund or something for her-I wish I knew what to say to make you feel better-and it be the truth. I guess sometimes we really do have to let the ones we love the most make some wrong decisions to get to the right one.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 14, 2006, 02:19 PM
    If I am correct you as the custodial parent have the say as to how the money is used for her benefit. You tell that little brat to put a civil tonque in her head and make good grades and if she wants something to ask for it like she has some sense. Real simple and if hubby doesn't like it... so what?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2006, 07:24 PM
    Expenses directly related to the support and care of the child ; food, clothing, medical care.
    The WB Posts: 78, Reputation: 6

Oct 7, 2006, 07:16 PM
    I guess technically she is an adult. Spend what you have to spend to keep her in school and give her the rest. Explain to her that there will be no assistance if she goes broke. And if she does go broke, do not call you. She should call her father. Make sure he knows this also.
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Oct 7, 2006, 07:56 PM
    • child support is used to pay the electric bill
    • child support is used to pay for food
    • child support is used to pay for clothing
    • child support is used for housing
    • child support is used for insurance
    • child support is used for book rental
    • child support is use for school tuition
    • child support is used for medical needs
    • child is support is used for whatever it takes to care for the child or children
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Oct 19, 2006, 06:37 PM
    I may be wrong on this:

But someone once told me that once the minor turns 18, and child support is still to be paid (for school, etc), then the checks could actually go to the child's name. Meaning they would be the ones to spend it.

Like I said, that didn't come from a legal source, its just something someone told me who had been through it, but that doesn't mean its right.

For what its worth, my father was on dissability when I turned 18, he was getting around an extra $400, however I will still in school for a short time. Long story short, social security started sending the checks to me until I graduated, however since my father and I had a pretty decent relationship, I just signed the back of it and let him have it, after all he was the parent, and I was still just a snot nosed kid.

I'd ask the lawyer handling the custody about that.
    sensualambiance Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Nov 5, 2006, 12:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by epi
    could someone please explain to me what child support is to be used for
    I am sure that you are a man so of course you all think that the money you give is a lot which it is not believe me. The money is to be used for anything that directly or indirectly affects the kid end of discussion. Just pay to support your child
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Nov 5, 2006, 07:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sensualambiance
    I AM SURE THAT YOU ARE A MAN SO OF COURSE YOU ALL THINK THAT THE MONEY YOU GIVE IS A LOT WHICH IT IS NOT BELIEVE ME. THE MONEY IS TO BE USED FOR ANYTHING THAT DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY AFFECTS THE KID END OF DISCUSSION. JUST PAY TO SUPPORT YOUR CHILD
    That is a very stereotypical answer, you think that just because someone might be a man that don't want to pay child support.

For your information, I know plenty of men who do their share, and pay more than what the judge awarded, and take an active part in their child's life.

It should also be noted that my father raised me for the second half of my childhood, this was back in my mothers wild years when she tried to get out of paying child support and didn't for a while, but when they told her she had to, she would fuss about it each time she had to cut the check. But stories like this you don't hear about coming down the propaganda machine.

In another story, my stepdaughter has a dead beat father who lives somewhere in North Carolina who hates his 7 year old daughter, wants nothing to do with her, will not pay any child support. My wife and I have discussed it and decided it would be in the best interest of the child just to support her ourself. As long as he isn't paying he's leaving us alone. And that's what's best.
    K_3 Posts: 304, Reputation: 74

Nov 5, 2006, 08:14 AM
    I take it you are paying for her college tuition, books, living expenses, meals, dorm room.
    If you are paying for all of this and she is also wanting the child support. Tell her next semester you will give her the money each month and she can pay for her tuition, books, and living expenses including room and board. If you have money aside for her college, pay the tuition and books and give her the child support to pay for room and board and all other expenses. Especially with her father backing her, you are the bad guy. Be the good guy and give it to her along with the responsibility that goes with caring for oneself.
    hossbonnam Posts: 62, Reputation: 9

Apr 7, 2008, 09:28 AM
    Child support is used in place of Government assistance. And for the same reasons, (to survive on. ) I currently pay large sums of support for 3 kids. I am distraught at times but I would be more pissed if It had to come from taxes instead. (People who don't have kids that are forced to pay School tax is an example).

My son does not quite undstand why he gets very little for xmas and birthdays anymore from either parent. I think he is more upset than me since he was promised certain things when he got older, and now that he has arrived he still gets nothing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support for child out of wedlock [ 8 Answers ]

My friend has been dating a man who is a millionaire(really) for two years. He is married and has two kids with wife. He has been financially supporting her all this time. Her role was to be available to jet set the world with him at a moments notice and of course look good and sleep with him. ...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child support [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I were eustatic when his ex girlfriend announced that she intended to end the child support because his son is usually here with us. She isn't sure how to end the case though. Should she call the child support enforcement or the court house to drop the case? Any help you can give...

Child Support [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, my husband has 2 kids from a previous marriage, we pay child support on time, which is 30% of my husbands net income. However his ex earns a lot more than he does and has a lot less financial responsibilities compared to us as she lives for free with her parents who take care of everything. We...

Child support? [ 9 Answers ]

I have had this question on my mind for a while now, so I thought I would ask it and hope someone here knows the answer. Hypothetically, lets say I got this random girl at a party pregnant. Let’s say I have no interest in being a father. Could I sign away all my rights as a father and...

View more questions Search