Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    freeboy Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2009, 07:12 AM
    Very easy for physic's science guys, Heat calculation./?
    1) Calculate the heat (Btu) required to heat a gallon, say 10 lb of water from ice at 10F to steam at 212F

Do you have idea.
    2)Plot the temperature gradient inside a 2x6 wall with a temperature difference from 70F inside to --30F outside
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2009, 10:24 AM

1. a. Look up the specific heat of ice, the amount of heat required to heat a given mass of ice by one degree. Multiply that by the mass and by the number of degrees you're heating (32-10 = 22 degrees).

b. Look up the specific heat of water. Do the same thing that you did in a -- but from 32 to 212 degrees.

c. Look up the heat of fusion of water. This heat is required to melt ice to water (the temperature doesn't change during this process). Multiply that by the mass of water.

d. Look up the heat of vaporization of water. This heat is required to turn water (at 212 F) to steam (at 212 F). Do the same as in c.

e. Add all of the values together.

f. If any of the values, above, are not in the proper units, convert the value you found to the proper units by multiplying (or dividing) by appropriate constants.

2. This is easy. It's linear if you assume the wall is uniform (it's not really). You can figure that out very easily.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2009, 04:47 AM

Thanks for the "reddie". Don't be too lazy to try. If you don't learn, you can't claim that you did.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GUYS! Do guys like persistent girls? Do you like to be pursued? [ 13 Answers ]

I mean, wouldn't you like if the roles were switched? : ) Guys will keep trying to get with a girl they think is pretty, they don't give up! : P Wouldn't you like that?:p

I can't get Over my ex, although it seems so easy for him. [ 14 Answers ]

:confused: Hello, well I was in a relationship for about three years, he was my high school sweetheart... the first 5 months he cheated on me and had sex with two girls.. he told me.. and I broke up with him but he kept telling me that he will change, that it was a mistake.. and I took him...

For the GUYS! This sums up most guys problems here. Another great e-mail from DD [ 21 Answers ]

This is an e-mail from David Deangelo. He is 1000% correct here. Guys - LEARN from this. It's long BUT almost EVERY guy here does this... ***QUESTION*** Hi Dave, I recently bought your ebook because I have met a Girl that I am really into and I must make it work With her. You are...

Carrier Hvac heat pump with aux/em heat- NO AUX HEAT [ 1 Answers ]

I have tried to install Honeywell 7500d thermostat. I get heat pump heat but no emergency heat although the termostate is calling for it. The installation manual says to see authorized agent if I have a dual 0/b on existing thermostat and another wire is attached to common. As of now, I have ...

MATCHMAKER ALERT (Nice guys do not always finish last -but NICE nice guys do) [ 2 Answers ]

There is a general thought that: - nice guys don't get the girl. - nice guys get walked on. - nice guys get left behind. It's not that simple. 1. Nice guys can get any girl. As long as they "own their space" -- that is, they know themselves and their life purpose and what drives them.

View more questions Search