Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cinkatmom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2006, 10:10 AM
    California Probate
    My step-father recently passed away. Prior to his passing, he told one family member that his will was something he wrote on a piece of paper and signed by he and his wife (my step-mother) with no lawyer involved. He told another family member that I was the executress of the estate, and provided for in the will. I have no knowledge of either situation and his wife immediately distanced herself from family upon his death, even though we had an excellent relationship up until that point. Is there any legal way to be able to verify the contents of his will in order to ensure that his wishes are carried out? Does the will, even though hand-written, have to be filed with the court?
    Would I be automatically notified if I were the executress?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 14, 2006, 10:30 AM
    Holographic wills are acceptable, but they are easier to contest. For a will to be "official" it would have to be filed in probate court. However, its not necessary to do so if the estate is small and the distribution is amicable.

What you need to do is get a hold of that will. Generally the executor is given a copy. If you don't have a copy, then you will probably need to go to probate court with the other 2 familiy members as witnesses that they say or were told of the will. If you need to do that I suggest you get a lawyer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probate [ 1 Answers ]

I am durable power of ATTY for Sister Kim. There is no will and I am not sure if I have the power to sell home or not in the event of her death which is imminent... just weeks away.. HELP!

Probate Nightmare Can Anyone Help? [ 23 Answers ]

This is the latest of what seems to be a hundred letters I have written trying to get help, of which there seems to be none, all because it's a piddly civil matter, I am positive this goes on in every state in this country and something must be done. This has destroyed my family who are good...

Question about Florida probate law [ 1 Answers ]

Here in Florida if a married couple who own a home in which only the wife is on the title deed , if the wife died would the estate go to probate or would the husband assume the ownership without going to probate.

Probate and Personal Representative [ 3 Answers ]

Mother died 4years ago, my sister was named personal rep for the estate. It has now been over 4 years, my other sister and I ( both equal beneficiaries) have received a partial distribution and interim accounting about 2 and 1/2 yrs. Ago. Personal Rep. says that keeping the estate open as long as...

Probate real estate [ 0 Answers ]

My mother inherited a house in Michigan where she had never resided , having lived for the last 15 years in Arizona. She died a year later before the executor-lawyer transferred the deed over to her name. Is in the event of death of benifiary before title conveyed from previous estate does title...

View more questions Search