Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aggie04 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2006, 03:18 AM
    When is the right age to date
    Just curious. When do u guys think is the right age to start dating?:confused:
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2006, 04:26 AM
    It's 15 in my house.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2006, 04:58 AM
    For me personally, I think 16 is a good age to start.
    aggie04 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2006, 05:11 AM
    I'm 17.. the first and the last I went on a date was.. hmmmm.. oh yeah 2yrs ago!!
    ;) I went to the movies with this guy but it didn't really go anywhere...
    After a couple of love letters it kind of got stale so I left it...
    Since then I've just been single!
    And that's the way I like it.. more freedom.. ;D :)
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2006, 05:16 AM
    I agree with Joe, 16 is a suitable age, but it alsways good to take things slow and not jump into anything too fast as saying that 16 is very young and you have a full life ahead of you to experience relationships.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2006, 06:10 PM
    Personally, I prefer that young people wait until they reach marriage age before they begin dating. There's no practical reason to begin doing so before then and it just causes young people to acquire so much baggage that they end up carrying with them when they do finally marry, much to the detriment of their relationship with their spouse.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2006, 09:10 PM
    Bringing your friends along on family outings = ageless.
    Going out with friends w/ parents dropping you off = 14/15
    Having a friend pick you up rather than parents drop you off = 16/17
    Dating, giving that there could be sex involved, 18 or older.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 16, 2006, 11:46 AM
    Well, my dad told me that I had to be 41 to date and even then he had to go with me. That was many moons ago. I am now 42, my oldest is 20 and my youngest is 4. I have 2 right in the middle.

The appropriate age in my opinion has a lot to do with maturity, based on the individual child. But if I had to give an exact number, I would pick 16.
    chishikineko Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2006, 06:44 PM
    In my parents house we could date at 16 with only groups and at 18 it was one on one dating, but parents aren't always willing to let there childern grow up. I tried dating once at 17 my mother had a fit and told the guy not to call me ever again. Lol
    jham_lindow Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Sep 21, 2006, 04:02 PM
    In my house, I am allowed to date when I turn 16, and I am almost 15 right now.
    Presleygall85 Posts: 50, Reputation: 6

Sep 21, 2006, 04:18 PM
    16 Is a great Age of course I didn't start dating until I was almost 18.. I was just more interested in friends and flirting with a bunch of guys.. so.. I would say 16-17 :)
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2006, 04:23 PM
    Its fine to date at your age, but don't feel pressured into it.

There are times when you need to be on your own and not have to worry about the things that come with being with another.

When the mood strikes you, you'll know. In the meantime, don't fret about it.

My daughter dated off and on through HS and then stopped for almost a year and a half at college. She just had so much to do, she wasn't interested in putting up the effort.
    lilian79 Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Oct 13, 2006, 11:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by aggie04
    just curious. when do u guys think is the right age to start dating?:confused:
    When ever your parents tell it's the time... lol..
    charlie123 Posts: 93, Reputation: 19

Oct 13, 2006, 11:37 AM
    My opinion is 16. My parents let me start going on car dates right before I turned 15. And I was a little bit promiscuous growing up - so when mine start dating. The age will be at least 16 before they can go on a REAL date!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 14, 2006, 06:01 AM
    40 for my daughter!! 17 is cool for everyone else. Unfortunately I was over ruled by her mother. Son has been walking girls home since he started school so... Double standard I know... So What!
    blueshadow_393 Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2006, 04:18 PM
    I think you should be able to date when you find someone you truly like. Which shouldn't happen till around 15ish.
    akms Posts: 131, Reputation: -3

Nov 4, 2006, 08:33 AM
    My mom says that I am mature enough now but that I should probably wait until 14 because the other person might not be mature enough
    theboss33 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2006, 08:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by s_cianci
    Personally, I prefer that young people wait until they reach marriage age before they begin dating. There's no practical reason to begin doing so before then and it just causes young people to acquire so much baggage that they end up carrying with them when they do finally marry, much to the detriment of their relationship with their spouse.
    I don't agree with you I believe that relationships in your teens build stronger relationships when you are married I don't believe that these relationships should include sexual activity though
    amberandalexa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2006, 11:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by aggie04
    just curious. when do u guys think is the right age to start dating?:confused:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 9, 2006, 12:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by s_cianci
    What a crock! How does one expect people to learn how to deal with relationships? There is so much more baggage involved with an adult relationship then with a teenage one. Adult relationships are expected to lead somewhere, teenagers change partners weekly.

Dating has become a way for young people to learn about relationships.

When to start dating depends somewhat on the maturity level and gender of the individual. For my daughter, she was allowed to one on one date at 15.

I know people who married their high school sweethearts. People they started dating at 16-17. I know one couple who have been married for over 30 years. They started dating when he was 15 and she was 14.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can't date men? [ 20 Answers ]

I don't know if I am posting this in the right forum but anyway. Me and my ex broke up in June of last year. I have pretty much moved on from him. I think that I am the type of person that will not completely move on until I fall for someone else, but I have basically moved on pretty well and I...

After a first date [ 10 Answers ]

Met a guy a few months ago through a friend's birthday party and I ended up getting his number. Anyway, we decided to finally meet up on Sunday just gone... its now Thursday night and I haven't heard from him. Thought date went really well, we had a laugh and joke and a kiss at the end. I text...

To-date total based on current date [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I am trying to create a forumula that will give a cumulative or "to-date" total that will exclude future months from the total. i.e. ithe point in time is August and I need to show a to-date number Through August only even though September and October are included in The...

How do I ask her on a date? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a question on how I can ask this girl on a date. There is this girl in my youth ministry group (church thing) that I have a huge crush on. She hasn't gone there in awhile, but I found that she works at a mexican restaurant. So of course it becomes my favorite place to eat. That is the only...

F-1 to H-1, what's the start date of H-1? Should be approval date or visa issue day? [ 3 Answers ]

As I mention before, I changed from F-1 to H-1 last year. I got my H-1 status in Feb 2004, but I went to my home country to get the H-1 visa stamp in August 2004. So I would like to know for counting my H-1 status, is it the date that USCIS (the Immigration) approved (which is Feb 1st), or the...

View more questions Search