Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 14, 2009, 11:36 AM
    Voltage drop
    How do you compute voltage drop when given a specified distance and cable size?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Apr 14, 2009, 12:50 PM
    Hank,

I use the voltage drop calculator from this site:

electrician2.com
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2009, 01:45 PM

Good site from Don. Mike Holt also has helpful calculators.
    Since the Cable is already run, and distance is known, the Calculator will tell maximum current usable with the allowable Voltage Drop.
    Another way to use the calculator is Know the load and distance to determine wire size.
    Tev Posts: 232, Reputation: 20

Apr 14, 2009, 05:02 PM

To do the calculation yourself use this formula

VD=(2KLI)/cmil

VD = voltage drop in volts
    K = K factor, this is approximate resistivity per foot, use 12.9 for copper or 21.2 for aluminum
    L = distance one way
    I = actual number of amps being used
    cmil = wire size in circular mils, you can use chapter 9 table 8 of the NEC to find the cmil of standard wire gages.

You have the distance and K factor, all that is left is to find the cmil of the wire in the table and know how many amps.

Edit- this formula is for single phase, for 3 phase replace the constant 2 with the square root of 3
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 14, 2009, 07:00 PM

Thanks Don, Strat and Tev.
    Apparently the software requires Visual Basic, which I don't have. But with the info from Tev, and my fingers and toes, I can work it out. OK, I have to use a couple of my wife's toes but she doesn't seem to mind.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2009, 07:46 PM

No, it will ONLY run in Internet Explorer.

It does require JAVA which is a free download from Sun.

Need more info, holler.
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2009, 07:55 PM
    Psst Tev:

The 2 is there because the wire goes to the load and back, hence the distance the electrons must travel from breaker to load is twice that distance. The 2 stays.

It is true that for say a 30 KW, 3 phase load, each leg shares =I/sqrt(3); so if if P=VI; 30 KW = 208*I

I(phase) = (30 * 1000)/208/sqrt(3)

Hope I did it right.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2009, 06:50 AM
    Things were going good, but found something to clarify.

This in bold is correct:

Quote Originally Posted by Tev View Post
    To do the calculation yourself use this formula

VD=(2KLI)/cmil

VD = voltage drop in volts
    K = K factor, this is approximate resistivity per foot, use 12.9 for copper or 21.2 for aluminum
    L = distance one way
    I = actual number of amps being used
    cmil = wire size in circular mils, you can use chapter 9 table 8 of the NEC to find the cmil of standard wire gages.

You have the distance and K factor, all that is left is to find the cmil of the wire in the table and know how many amps.

Edit- this formula is for single phase, for 3 phase replace the constant 2 with the square root of 3
    Everything else Tev states is correct also, just focusing on the 3 phase explanation, as a segway to:

This statement is incorrect:
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid

The 2 stays.

See backup here from Mike Holt as a reference, approximately mid way down the page:
    Voltage_Drop_Calculations_03-26-2003

Find:
    "Three-phase VD = 1.732 x K x I x D/CM. The difference between this and the single phase formula is you replace the 2 with 1.732 "

For more in depth formulas, since the above formula is technically for DC circuits, and does not take AC impedance, capacitance, or inductive loads, into consideration, review this:

IEEE Voltage Drop Formulae - Volts Electrical Design Software

These are the formulas used by NEC in the Handbook, as recommended by IEEE.
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2009, 08:05 AM

tk:

Time for an aside:

First, I used a 30 KW load. Take a look at. I'm not saying that he's right either. Going against Mike is a problem though.

I started with a load in Watts, not amps. Normally we would use amps. So, because I took watts and I is sqrt(3) of the single phase current. I should be right on this account. I's not higher, it's lower, right, so divide by sqrt(3). Say 100 V, 10 A

P = 1000 W
    P = sqrt(3)*100*10 + sqrt(3)*100*10 + sqrt(3)*100*10
    P= 1 * 100 * 10
    P = 1000

Each phase is drawing sqrt(3) * 10 A

The problem, is that one is 120 deg out of phase out of phase with the other.

So if one phase is drawing 10 A, the other phase is drawing 10 * cos(120 deg) or 10 A* 0.866
    So while one wire is drawing I, the other is drawing I/sqrt(3)

Vd = I * R + R * sqrt(3)/2 * I

Vd = R( I * sqrt(3)/2)*I)

So you would take the per phase I and divide by the sqrt(3)/2 or 0.866

so you take the single phase answer and multiply by sqrt(3)/2 0r replace the 2 with sqrt(3).

OK, makes sense. Thanks.

Yipes!

But, we need to start with the per phase I which is P/(V*I)/sqrt(3) with an example in watts.

Thanks, TK!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Voltage drop [ 4 Answers ]

Can someone please post the formula for voltage drop? Many thanks.

Voltage Drop [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to illuminate a tunnel about 3000' long temporarily with 9- 400 Watt Metal Halide fixtures spaced about 320' apart. I have a 120/240 generator single phase that I will use to back feed a 240/480 volt transformer to deliver 480 volts, single phase to the tunnel lights. At 480 volts I...

Voltage drop [ 1 Answers ]

The Voltage will drop after 150 meter wire ,how to sole the problem . Thanks to all

Voltage drop [ 4 Answers ]

A 300sq mm cable is to be laid for 600mtr. Distance. As the distance is large so there are considerable voltage drop at the receiving side. How can we cope up with this voltage drop at the receiving end? We want a constant voltage ofd 415 V at receiving end irrespective of input voltage? ...

Voltage drop [ 2 Answers ]

How far can you run an electrical cord, that is plugged into a 20 amp circuit, and still run a circular saw? If the saw starts slowly, will that harm the saw?

View more questions Search