Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stinkytofu Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2006, 11:21 PM
    Water won't come back on for faucet
    I've had a minor leak for the Kohler Alterna faucet I have and decided to determine if it's coming from the cold water or hot water this morning.

The faucet has two knobs and below the faucet are two shutoff valves (assumed) corresponding to each knob. The right side is the cold water and the left side is the hot water. I turn off the right side shut off valve below the sink by turning it counterclockwise all the way. I turned on the cold water from the top, some water came out and then it stopped (so I assumed I turned off the cold water from rotating the valve counterclockwise). I dried the sink, put a cup underneath the waterfall spout and left for work.

I returned and the cup had some water in it. So I turned on the cold water shut off valve by rotating it clockwise. I turned on the cold water knob and only drips of water are coming out. I turned on the hot water knob and nothing happens. I never touched the hot water shut off valve...

I've left the cold water shut off valve "open" and the cold water knob "on" for the past 30 minutes and still only a few drips of water come out. The sink next to it is working perfectly fine (two sink bathroom) and all the other water related outlets work in the house. Just my one sink.

So why is it that I shut off the cold water valve and I am unable to turn it back on to get any kind of water for this sink only?
    What's going on? Any help is appreciated!
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 14, 2006, 05:10 PM
    Perhaps you got mixed up in your post or perhaps this could be your problem but counterclockwise turns a valve on while clockwise shuts them off. Let's get on the same page here and lets have your complaint again. Regards, Tom

Sep 15, 2006, 09:07 AM
    Hi Tom,

Initially, I turned the valve counterclockwise and it stopped the water (when I turned on the cold water, the waterfall faucet drained out).

I took your suggestion and turned the coldwater shut off valve counterclockwise all the way and then turned on the cold water. Still only minor drips of water.

I did notice that as you turn the coldwater shut off valve clockwise, the shutoff valve knob slowly comes out towards you until you can't turn it anymore.

Please advise.
    Thanks!
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 15, 2006, 11:07 AM
    Something's wrong someplace!

"I did notice that as you turn the coldwater shut off valve clockwise, the shutoff valve knob slowly comes out towards you until you can't turn it anymore."

On a normal shut off valve when you the knob clockwise the stem goes in and seats shutting off the valve. Would you happen to have a brand name on those shutoffs? Regards, Tom

Sep 15, 2006, 04:59 PM
    I'll be looking for the brand to that shut off valve.

But I guess what I'm wondering is that turning the valve in either direction (clockwise/counter-clockwise) doesn't seem to let water through. There is a slight slight hissing sound but only drips of water come out.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 15, 2006, 05:41 PM
    Either way you're going to hafta nail this down by the process of elimination.
    Remove the flexible supplies from the hot and cold shut offs. Now with a pan underneath and your hand over the open valve open up the valve and shut it down quick. Did a strong stream come out of both stops when you cracked them open? Let me know and I'll be back ASAP. Tom

Sep 15, 2006, 05:44 PM
    Thanks a lot Tom,

I won't be back until Monday (business trip). I'll try it out as soon as I get back (which I assume is Monday).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low cold water pressure in 2 showers... Not back to back config however [ 8 Answers ]

My home is 16 years old, I've had it for 5 years. I am on a pump - with 70LBS high cutoff and 55lbs Low turn on. All copper - I have 2 Delta 1600 shower faucets - one tub spicket with shower diverter - one shower only. The tub/shower combo has allways had only a trickle of cold water and...

Low water pressure outside faucet [ 1 Answers ]

One outdoor faucet water pressure has decreased dramatically in the last month. Other two are fine. No new plumbing installations recently. Copper pipes. No leaks detected. Easy to access. Silcock looks to be 10 yrs old or less. House built in 1967. Sound like a new spigot or just a washer...

Hot water faucet [ 1 Answers ]

My question is that my upstairs bathroom tub/shower the cold water runs fine. The hot water is much slower to come out of the faucet. I have faucets for both cold and hot water. They are Gerber faucets and I tried to remove the stem from the hot water to check it by removing the handle and the...

Low hot water pressure from kichen faucet only- 1 handle faucet [ 7 Answers ]

Hi. My question is similar to one asked a few posts ago except this is a 1 handle faucet. I plan on maintaining the boiler from now on but I have to fix the flow problem first. I disconnected the hot water supply line to the faucet and the pressure is excellent so I assume the problem is in the...

New sink faucet but water won't come out [ 2 Answers ]

I just installed a new sink, facuet and supply water lines. When I turned on the water for first time water came out for a few seconds then stopped. I diconnected the water lines from the faucet and the water comes out fine but when I hook them back up to the faucet no water will come out. Any...

View more questions Search