Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shopperpammy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2006, 09:51 PM
    Humming pipes
    Hi, over the last couple of days there was like a roaring noise that would go off at different times in the house. I narrowed it down to the water pipes. Under the bathroom sink, if you put your hand on the cold water, you can feel the vibration, but not on the hot. While the noise is happening, if you turn on the water, as you adjust the handle, the noise goes up and down. About a month ago, we replaced the faucet in this bathroom, but no problems until about two days ago. I shut off this value and didn't seem to do it for maybe 10 to 12 hours, then started again. Called plumber to ask and the said may be pressure value (250 to 300 bucks to fix.) Is there anything you could suggest I could check? Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 14, 2006, 04:21 PM
    "Is there anything you could suggest I could check?"

Yes, you might check the water level in the toilet tanks. They should be 1/2" below the top of the white overflow tube when the tank's filled. If they aren't then let me know. Let's kill this 200 buck thing right now. Every home owner should know his house pressure. I'm going to tell you how to biuld one and how to use it. You will need a 100 PSI gage, Two 1/2" copper to thread female adapters and a 1"piece of 1/2" copper. You will also need to adapt the gage to the short piece of copper . I believe a 1/2 X 1/8th or 1/4" bushing will do it. Now get someone to solder them up or use some of that cold solder stuff that they sell. Now remove the shower head from the shower arm and screw on the gage. Turn on the shower and read the3 pressure in your home. Every home should have one, especially if they have a PRV , (pressure regulator valve) installed.
    Let me know what your house pressure is. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Humming noise in water pipes [ 6 Answers ]

Whenever we run water in the house there is a humming sound about 30 seconds after water is turned off. It sounds like a water pump running, but we have city water. Seems to only happen in summer not when weather cools down. How much trouble am I in? Thanks! Hinsdale

HB fan - light dimmed humming [ 3 Answers ]

I have two hampton bay redington IV fans... they have dimmable lights however, when the lights are dimmed they produce a high pitch hum.. any advice?

Ceiling fan humming ut not spinning [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I switched the rotation of my ceiling fan and now it will not spin either way but it does hum so I know it is trying any idea how I can fix tis I checked all the leads on the switch that changes the rotation of the fan and they are all connected thanks for your help Jester P.D. I don't...

Heater humming [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 30 yr old Amana central heater. This morning I set it to go on (auto) and it just hums. The blower won't go on. I unplugged it. What could the problem be?

Blower is humming [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Magic CHef forced air blower that has been working fine, but now hums-even if the t-stat is set in off. Any ideas. Thanks.

View more questions Search