Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2009, 01:22 AM
    I can't connect to the net.
    Ok, I just obained a modem (beetel) and everything seems OK. The lights on it are on (power, link, data, USB). When I switch the modem on and log on to my puter, the puter detects the connection. However, when I open my web browser (Internet Explorer) nothing apart that the page cannot be displayed. I tried to go on Internet Options, went to LAN settings and went to advanced section, put in the address 192.168.1.1 in the lower part of the box and put the slot number.

I tried going to the network connections > LAN connection > properties > Internet (TCP/IP) > Properties > and tried to match the numbers ;

IP address 192.168.1.10
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway 192.168.1.1

Preferred DNS (more numbers I can't remember just now)

Still nothing. The company said that I should use another browser. I tried with mozilla, already installed but which I never used up to now, and still nothing.

I went to IE and typed in 192.168.1.1 in the address bar, followed the procedures but still nothing!

Help me!! I'm completely lost...
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2009, 02:07 AM

I don't know whether this will help at all but we had the same problem today. We just moved house and got broadband internet but our wireless modem wouldn't find the ADSL connection. Called the tech support and turns out because our house alarm is hooked up to our phone line it bypassed the filter and stuffed everything up. We had to buy a filter to put on our alarm system and everyhthing works fine now :)
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2009, 02:10 AM

Thanks, but I already have a filter with my phone line, and I have no alarm system. I've seen you in one of the threads, Alty seems a little deceived because you're already taken. LOL. Ok, see you around! :)

Other suggestions?
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2009, 01:17 AM

Ok, I have to add that the modem uses a phoneline and is therefore not wireless. My computer had some time ago a dial-up connection. Then, we removed the connection. Now, we are trying to use that ADSL connection and I've been trying one of the suggestions from a post:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/networ...ml#post1644574

But only the first worked. The others, the command prompt said that the winsock reset all, interface reset and ipconfig/flushdns all were not found.
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2009, 08:17 AM
    Ok, update. The line works well (a friend of mine brought her laptop and succeeded in connecting to the net), I formatted my system and I now use Linux Ubuntu. Still, no connection. Do you think it can be the ethernet port?
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Apr 16, 2009, 09:47 AM

Ok, I am confused by what you've done so far. SO lwalk me through it.

You statically (manually)set your IP?
    WHat do you see when you go into your PC's advanced config.

Can I ask what OS you had? Why Ubuntu?

Rick
    ranjitsinh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2009, 05:46 AM
    Hello Sir ,
    Good Evening
    I am new user for this site and I hope I solve all questions for using computer and net.
    In recent day I face a problem for net and I cannot access any site , I check all setting for this but I can't.
    The error is "the request lookup key was not found in any active activation contact"
    Is this error occurred during updation of Explorar?
    Is this error tell me that some files or file missing to operate Explorar?

Please help me and give answer as soon.

Thanks & Regards
    Ranjitsinh
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2009, 08:05 AM

ITstudent2006, thanks for trying to be so keen on helping. Today, I finally got that connection (at last).

To answer your question, Windows did not seem to be working properly. My friend said that she had so much problems with windows... then she discovered linux and is using Ubuntu. We phoned the ISP company, and tried to establish the connection. The weird thing is that we were told to do the same procedures as what I did in windows (typing in 192.168.1.1 in the address bar of the browser and the following instructions) and it worked for Ubuntu.

Yep, the IP addresses were set manually.

In windows, there were:
    1.an unchecked box for automatically detect addresses (that did not work) under which there was the option to manually set the addresses.
    2. domain addresses box, both automatic and manual setting.

Nothing worked. My friend thought that there may have been some virus of some sort on the hard disk that could have prevented the connection. With the formatting, the potential viruses have been destroyed.

I'm relieved that at last I'm able to connect to the net. Thanks everyone! :)

EDIT: Oh I forgot, Ranjitsingh, if you could please start another thread by clicking on 'Ask about Internet and the Web' orange button, and mention your type of connection?
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Apr 18, 2009, 06:18 AM

Hmmmm... dropped windows for ubuntu. While I have Ubuntu on a Virtual PC, I would never drop Windows for it. It's personal preference though.

But I'm glad you got everything figured out!

RIck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't connect [ 1 Answers ]

I have a D Link router and I haven't had my laptop for some time and I just bought a new one and my problem is I didn't write down my pass key to get connected , what can I do

How to connect lcd TV [ 1 Answers ]

How to connect lcd TV?

View more questions Search