Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2009, 09:03 PM
    Charging for grocery bags?
    I'm just wondering what other people's thoughts are on charging for grocery bags. I work in a grocery store, and I think it's a great idea. One of my biggest pet peeves are the customers that st there and insist that they need a double bag for their carton of OJ, and make sure to wrap it in a few plastic bags first so I stays cold... (does that even really have any effect? My cold stuff I still cold when I bring it home just in my little clothe bag... ). Or the customer that needs a bag for their bottle of water and power bar. And aside from that, think of how much better it would be for the environment if we didn't make and use so many bags. Yeah, I know a lot of people are good about recycling, but why not take it a step further and just not even have the need to recycle paper bags because we've all got our own shopping bags.
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Apr 13, 2009, 09:16 PM

I don't think they should charge people for bags but maybe give like 5 cents for every bag returned. Because honestly if I'm being charged to bag items that profit the business, then I'd be upset
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2009, 09:39 PM

I can purchase re-useable bags for shopping for about a $1.00. They have the store's logo on them.

Some people may have to carry their items far. Remote parking in an apartment complex and live on the 3rd floor. They also might live in the city and cannot park in front of their house.

I sometimes ask for two bags because one will be my garbage bag. Example: subs and soda that I plan to eat in the car. I might also ask that the sub be double paper wrapped because the paper will sit on my lap and the oil penetrates one layer.

We have some places that do charge for bags too.
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2009, 10:23 PM

OK, so I'm going to play the devil's advocate now. If you have to carry your heavy bags far, then that's all the more reason to to use the reusable bags. The bags that most stores sell are made of clothe or other materials much stronger than paper.
    And I really don't see why anyone would need to waste an entire bag for a sandwich when it seems a couple napkins or paper towels would suffice. But maybe we're talking about two different bags because I'm talking about when people insist that they be given a regular sized paper bag for the little non oily (egg salad, tuna salad, etc) half sandwiches my store carries even though we have small bags specifically for small items.

And as for being charged to bag things that profit the store, think of how much money stores waste on bags. We go through hundreds, even probably at least a thousand or more bags every day. If we didn't have to waste so much on bags, we might be able to improve other areas of the store, like say prices.
    mari_ Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2009, 10:25 PM
    Lol I work for a grocery store I think charging for bags is brilliant. But my store won't charge because our ceo believes more people will shop at his stores to avoid paying 2 dollars for 10 bags!?
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2009, 10:52 PM

Yeah, everyone at my store thinks we should charge but we can't for the same reason. But if my area followed the example of other places, where it wasn't so much the store charging, but, I guess a tax from the government, then we wouldn't have to worry about that. It could be the same as crv when you buy certain canned or bottled drinks. If you go and recycle it you can get your money back, sometimes even in store, but you still have to pay for it first.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2009, 10:54 PM

There are certain grocery chains that have always charged for grocery bags. It is not a big deal really. I like the idea that if you have extra bags and when you return the bags they give you that money back but in reality these bags that we bring home can be used for many things. So what is 5 or 10 cents a bag.
    mari_ Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2009, 01:15 AM

Yeah I think the sooner we start the faster we help save the earth... I think students should watch when the earth stood still that way it makes kids think that if we don't save the earth now then we will all be in trouble in the end
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2009, 03:22 AM

At the supermarket where I used to work we weren't allowed to give plastic bags to customers with less than 3 items. To be honest, the supermarkets don't give a crap about the environment, it just means they spend less of their budget on bags.

We have a town here (only a few hundred people) that have completely banned plastic bags, they ran a campaign and gave people free cloth bags and the community loved the idea.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2009, 06:00 AM

I carry along canvas, reusable tote bags when I grocery shop. Keep them in my car trunk. I think they are $1 apiece, are very sturdy, have the store logo on them (which is fine with me), I don't need to dispose of those plastic bags, saves the environment.

In my area stores are talking about charging a deposit on carts to guarantee they are returned to the cart corral because the insurance carriers are beginning to pay claims for cars damaged by carts in parking lots.
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2009, 09:28 AM

Ha. I'd never thought about charging a deposit for carts. But I like that idea too. Even thought there are designate cart returns all through the parking lot people that shop at my store seem to prefer to leave there carts right in between the parking spaces so that we have to wait until there's a empty spot to even get the cart out without scratching all the cars in the spaces. Or they'll leave them throughout the shopping plaza and it takes us an hour just to go find them all and get them back in front of our store through the crowds of people.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2009, 09:38 AM

We need to get these awful plastic bags out of our environment!
    They are not eco friendly and if charging people will make them think twice about the overuse of plastic,it's a good thing.

I am very involved in the ecology movement and have been since the first earth day in 1970.

I always use my totes for shopping.They are inexpensive and the benefits are long term and proven.

If everyone just did some simple things ,we can save our planet.
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2009, 09:52 AM

I personally think it's a great idea to charge for carrier bags, the supermarkets near me only charge for the reusable bags at the moment and give you evils if you ask for normal ones (which they only give you a few of anyway)
    But it would mean that people would bring their own shopping bags and then the supermarkets don't have to order as many taking the prices down a bit and also less litter on the streets
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2009, 12:41 PM

I shop at Aldi's where you purchase your heavy weight large reusable plastic bag for $0.15 or a paper bag at $.05 each or you can buy their heavy weight cloth huge bag for $1.99 that you can cram a lot of stuff into. I also shop at an Ohio store called Buehler's where you can purchase heavy weight cloth bags for $1.00 and receive a $.05 cent rebate every time you go through the checkout and use their bags. I own 4 so I get $.20 back per trip.

Aldi's also has the shopping cart system where you put in a quarter into the locking system and get the cart to use and then when you return the cart to the outside storage area you get your quarter back.

Aldi is a basic food store without a lot of frills and has practiced the "use your own" bags for years as well as the shopping cart system. If more stores used the shopping cart system it would eliminate the shopping cart theft and car damage as well. Shopping carts are surprisingly expensive to replace for stores. They cost $150 and upwards each!

Aldi has opened it's 1,000th store in the US recently. I guess more food shoppers are waking up to the fact that thrifty ways pays off. They have 150 stores in Ohio so far and just added a bunch in Florida as well. Most of the East Coast has Aldi stores in them. Granted you can't buy everything you want, but you can probably get at least 75% of what you need there at better prices than WallyWorld on certain items. I avoid WallyWorld and try not to give them too much of my money if I can help it.
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2009, 08:00 AM
    Here in Tasmania they have a $1000 reward for people who call up about found trolleys/carts. Once a week a random caller wins the cash, makes you wonder exactly how many get lost or stolen :confused:

We also have the carts at Kmart that you have to put $1 in to use them then when you take them back to the bay you get your $1 back.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 17, 2009, 04:33 AM

My grocery store in town sells canvas tote bags for $l (same as Judy's) and I too, carry them in my car ready to use when shopping. In fact all major stores where bagged items are heavy sell tote bags for a nominal price. Good idea. Keeps plastic out of land fills.

Tick
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 17, 2009, 04:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Here in Tasmania they have a $1000 reward for people who call up about found trolleys/carts. Once a week a random caller wins the cash, makes you wonder exactly how many get lost or stolen :confused:

We also have the carts at Kmart that you have to put $1 in to use them then when you take them back to the bay you get your $1 back.

Wow, shaz, just noticed your avatar showed Australia and you actually live in Tasmania ! And you still found us.

Tick
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2009, 05:31 AM

I hate the bags but not so much for environmental reasons but they make them so thin. Then they break in the parking lot and does the store want to replace the orange juice or whatever got broke when the bag broke?? N0
    Where I live Aldi's and some others have .25 cent deposits on shopping carts. Then you can pay a dime for a GOOD plastic bag or .25 cents for a GOOD freezer bag or you can find boxes in the store and use them for free.

I am not for charging for the flimsy cheap bags because I am sick of paying for my so called convenience. Like I went to pay for a loan the other day and the recording said ''a $14. Convenience charge... '' I got a money order and mailed it but why do I have to pay to give MY money to somebody for what they want me to believe is my convenience when they are already charging interest and other fees for their convenience?
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2009, 05:35 AM

They introduced a government levi on plastic bags in ireland about 5 years ago,it actually worked out pretty well.
    Most people buy a 'bag for life',(reusable),
    And it created a market for small businesses to make 'bags for life'.
    There is also a system about to be put in place where fast food restaurants will have to use bio degradable containers.The amount of rubbish on the streets after a Saturday night is disgraceful. I wonder what state these peoples houses are in.Do they just throw food and rubbish on the floor when there done? Yuck.
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2009, 05:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    wow, shaz, just noticed your avatar showed Australia and you actually live in Tasmania ! And you still found us.

tick

Of course, and you'll never get rid of me :p :)

Being that most of the OP's are american there's a few things a can't answer like things about a specific dog food brands or products but I try to help out where I can.

I have a penpal in pretty much every corner of the world, a few weeks ago I sent my canadian penpal vegemite... she is too scared to try it lol :D

I'm loving the idea of biodegradable fast food containers redhed. There are still some coffee places here that use polystyrene cups :( you just want to get out your pocket watch and hypnotise them...
    Cardbooooooard cups...
    You will use only cardboooooord cups...
    Lol

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is mean by Float charging & boost charging? [ 3 Answers ]

Respected sir, I want to know what is mean by battery boost charging And battery float charging? And how it works ? And which one is best for lead acid battery?

Grocery List/What to Cook [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a new wife and finished college a couple years ago and am now in the business world. My husband works from 2pm-10pm and I work from 1pm-12am usually. I also have a 30-45 minute commute. We don't usually eat breakfast but end up spending so much money eating out for lunch and end up making...

Grocery store [ 6 Answers ]

My little 3 year old daughter, cut her hand in a grocery store on a basket, she was standing in front of me pushing, I reached in a coller to pick up something, and her skin got caught in the handle. Picture this, you are pushing a basket from the front, the plactis part on the handle turns around,...

Grocery cart [ 2 Answers ]

If your grocery cart is full of rock, Northern Pink, California spot, amd gulf of mexico white, what are you purchasing?

Carmel corn in a grocery bag. [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know the recipe (formula) for caramel corn that you do in a paper grocery sack? I remember my Mom doing this when we were kids +20 years ago and something you added that made the stuff kind of explode in the bag to distribute the caramel. She has passed on now and I have no one to...

View more questions Search