Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jjhawk125 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2009, 08:58 PM
    Trig word problems dealing with distance and bearing
    A hiker travels N 33 degrees W for 15km, then turns 90 degrees and walks 12km in the direction S 57 degrees W At that time how far is the hiker from his starting point? What is his bearing from his starting point?

My teacher went over this so fast and I am utterly confused
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2009, 09:17 PM

For this, you can do two things:
    One, the pythagorean theorum:
    where c is your hypothenuse.
    However, based off your title, I'd assume you are instructed to solve using the trig functions.
    Sin = Opposite/Hypothenuse
    Cos = Adjacent/Hypothenuse
    Tan = Opposite/Adjacent

It's easy to remember with the acronym:
    SohCahToa

57__12___... In this case, you will solve for the diagonal line. X
    ... \... 90|... You can use Sin33 = 12/X
    ... \... |... You can use Cos57 = 15/X
    ... X\... |15... Plug one of these trig functions into your calculator to get a decimal value, then
    ... \.. |... you simply convert the equation to get X by itself. If you don't have a calculator
    ... \|33... with trig functions, you may find them in the back of your book.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Trig problems applied [ 2 Answers ]

I need to make up at least two problems finding inaccessible distances and angles. These must be real life examples including sine,cosine, tangent, right triangles, angle of elevation, etc. They must not too complicate; I'd infinitely grateful I I can get them solved.

Word prob with trig functions [ 10 Answers ]

A weight is suspended on a system of springs and ascillates up and down according to P=1/10 where P is the position in meters above or below the point of equilibrium (P=0) and t is time is seconds. Find the time when the weight is at equilibrium. Find the exact values (w/out a calc!). (There...

Distance over time word [ 1 Answers ]

I am brain dead on this one and I know its faily simple but its been a while since I've done one of these... please help! An airplane traveling at 240mph is descending at an angle of 12degrees. How many miles will the plane descend in 8 minutes?

Trig problems! [ 1 Answers ]

How do you do these 2 types of problems 1.) sin (t)= -sqrt 3/2 sin (t)= sqrt 2/2 2.) (cos (t))^2= 1/2 Answers have to be in radians.. please help :(

Dealing with distance, situation, age difference, and her dad. [ 29 Answers ]

All right... I'm going to give this a shot, I'm going to ask something... my girlfriend lives in another state, my town to hers is roughly a 10 hour drive, and I have one more year of school left... well, her dad doesn't exactly like the idea of her talking to me, so no more cell. She lives a LONG...

View more questions Search