Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    saranghae Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2009, 07:35 PM
    Brown hair dyed auburn to strawberry blonde?
    Well, let's see. My natural hair color is somewhere between medium brown and dark brown... Like it's dark brown but not near black.. if that makes sense... A few months ago, I want to say sometime after January, I dyed my hair a shade of like medium auburn. My hair being on the dark side it didn't really show up, unless I was in the sun... But now that color is a bit faded and the closest color I can think of that might look like it is this:

http://www.garnierusa.com/img/our_pr...50080_pack.jpg

My hair now still looks like dark brown with reddish highlights, and that link is what the highlights look like in the sun, though they're a bit lighter than in the picture. My point is, I recently bought another haircolor, but I'm not sure if I want to put it in my hair or not.. It's this color:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA280_.jpg

It's Strawberry-Blonde.. Now I know it won't come out like that and the only reason I got such a light color is because.. well since when I usually get a light color, or medium looking color... it almost never shows up on my hair besides as highlights... So I thought maybe if I got a light color it might actually show up but.. I'm thinking it won't since it's too light..

So my question is, would it be better to try a light auburn hair color and then put this one on like a few months after? And if so, will it turn orange? OR should I just go for light auburn and not even try the strawberry blonde? And if I only did the light auburn would it turn orange? (Everyone's afraid of orange hair! =])

If anyone could help answer those questions, it would be great! For the record, I don't plan on bleaching my hair or going to a salon to get this done, too much money... So I hope no one suggests that.. lol. I know this is a bit of a long post, I hope someone can help me out!
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2009, 06:52 AM

You're encountering a common problem that is, in my opinion, poorly understood.

Whenever you use a single-process haircoloring, you use hydrogen peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide performs two functions. It lightens natural pigment (regardless of the shade of the dye -- it lightens the natural pigment even in ultra dark, black shades) and it develops the artificial pigment that is deposited in the hair. The color companies put lots of shades of colors on the shelves. They do put panels on the side that say, "if your hair is this color, this is the color you will expect", but not many people look at them. Even when they do, there's still the thought that their hair might possibly become a bit lighter if they use a lighter shade. This is, unfortunately, not exactly the case. (I also believe that the side panels are a bit too optimistic in some cases -- and they don't show the orange that results).

Artificial haircolor fades because the artificial pigment that was deposited in the hair, dissolves and is washed away. Most of this occurs when you shampoo. You're now at the stage where a lot of the color has faded. The lighter hair you're seeing is due to the lightening of your natural pigment by hydrogen peroxide. There is still artificial pigment in your hair. The rest of the artificial pigment is quite firmly embedded in the hair shafts and most likely won't come out anytime soon.

Hydrogen peroxide is limited in its ability to lighten hair. As dark hair lightens, it turns red, then orange, finally yellow and eventually pale yellow. How light it gets depends on the initial shade. In your case, it's unlikely to turn much lighter than red -- maybe with a little orange tint. This is true regardless of the shade of the color that you use.

The second problem you're going to run into is that single-process haircoloring won't lighten artificial pigment that is already in the hair. The hydrogen peroxide in the dye "developed" the artificial pigment and there's no way that it will lighten it. So, if you really want to go lighter, you have to remove the artificial pigment. This is done with products such as ColorFix, Color Zap, Color Oops, and Igora Phantom.

Hair Color, Hair Care and The No More Bad Hair Days Kit by Robert Craig Salon Products, Ltd.

So, what's the bottom line? You're going to have trouble whether you try the light auburn unless you remove the existing color (artificial pigments) first. Also, your hair will probably become more orange if you try and even if you do use ColorFix.

The actual "fix" is to bleach the hair past the orange stage, but since you already said you don't plan on bleaching your hair, I guess I have no suggestions for you.
    saranghae Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2009, 05:31 PM

Thanks to Perito for the reply! A bit late, though.

Well, in case anyone was wondering, I ended up just using the color anyway, since I'd already bought it. The strawberry-blonde one.. and my hair is Definitely lighter. The color came out as like a light auburn, although in some lighting it looks to me like light brown with red highlights in it... but still pretty. So anyway I really like the color!
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2009, 07:20 PM

It's possible that the peroxide lightened your natural undertones more. I'm glad you like the color. Now, you'll have to figure out how to touch it up.
    Jdsgirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2011, 08:04 PM
    I have med dark brown hair. I used strawberry blond on my dark hair and it turned orange! I had to redye it med brown then ibwated a few weeks and did blond highlights all threw my hair, the next day I put the strawberry blond on it and it came out the same color as the box said. I recommend going to thr salon, but if you want that color at home do the highlights then dye it strawberry blond shade. Good luck!
    Daisy119 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2012, 04:10 PM
    I had dark brown hair... I used strawberry blonde on my dark hair and it turned completely strawberry blonde with a dark tint.
    jordnn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2012, 06:53 PM
    I have light brown hair with auburn tints since I colored my hair red a couple months ago. I got blonde highlights, so is it safe to just color it blonde or would I still need to strip my hair?
    dprainbow Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2012, 05:17 PM
    I was born with strawberry blond and then my mom dyed it brown then I dyed it alburn red then I dyed it a red purpple color and it faded but I want to go back to being a strawberry blond I just don't want it to go a different color what should I do?
    But do u think if I can go alburn again?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dyed my hair from blonde to brown turned green what do I do [ 14 Answers ]

I dyed my hair from a blonde to light brown but some parts only minimal parts turned green what can I do to correct that with out going to a salon please help:confused:

Dyed dark brown/black hair .want super light blonde again [ 18 Answers ]

I got to vent here... please bear with me... My natural hair color is a medium-dark brown, it is long, about mid-way down my back. I had it platinum blonde for a long time via double-process, then about a year ago my fiancée convinced me to have it done dark brown/black mix because he liked...

Dyed hair brown, natural is sandy blonde, want it back. HELP! [ 3 Answers ]

Hey to anyone interested in helping me, I'm a natural sandy blonde, and I wanted a change so I dyed my hair brown from a box. It turned out very natural and I don't mind the color but I'd like a change. I want to go back to my original color and then dye it lighter, like with very blonde...

Dyed hair brown want bake blonde [ 1 Answers ]

I've dyed my hair brown and I had to put a red in it to make it go brown but how do I get blonde back

View more questions Search