Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 13, 2009, 04:23 PM
    Just looking for some input on weil mclain ultra boilers
    Hey guys. If any of you have worked on or installed ultra boilers, what kind of luck have you had with them, and if you have had problems, what were they. Have you found draft inducers to be problematic? Any other problems you have encountered? If so, please let me know what you have found. (strictly in the boiler and controls themselves, assume piping is correct) Any input will be appreciated. I only ask this because I have had a couple draft inducers go bad on fairly new units(2 years or less). I just want to know about other possible (common) problems to check for in the future. Thanks for taking the time.
    csavage1 Posts: 86, Reputation: 5

Apr 13, 2009, 06:57 PM

I have had great luck with the Ultras and the Gold. I have installed at least a dozen oil fired and a few gas ones. The swinging door for cleaning is one of the great selling features. The only problem we had was when the powerventers would act up. They will handle 7 or 8 zones no problem.

The other units we had a bunch of problems with was the Walton prevent power dampers. We did 224 gas Vailant boilers on some army housing back in mid 80's and there was at least 30 bad damper units.The small micro switchs would stick and shutdown all heat. The next biggest problem with that Vailant boiler was the small leads on the groundfous circ pump would be loose.
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 14, 2009, 03:17 PM

Thanks for the info. We don't install oil burners here, only nat. gas and propane. Have you had any probs with the gas ones, specifically the inducers? I agree that the ultra(golds) are great boilers, but we have had a few issues with them. Just trying to determine whether to stick with them, or choose another brand.
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 24, 2012, 07:26 PM
    Okay, I just have to update. Sorry it has been a few years. I find that the early ultras did have a few minor issues. However, I have been installing many ultras over the last few years and have found very little if any actual product problems. I have over 30 ultras out there and the only issues I have seen is dirty flame sensor and plugged drain system (not including the early draft motors). I will admit that I did deviate from the install instructions on one or two boilers, and hence I had to go back and repipe according to the manual.

So basically, the ultras are great (and I mean GREAT) boilers, to date. Install is key. It really isn't that hard to read the directions, its having the mental capability and experience to follow them that makes for a great boiler install.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weil Mclain Ultra II 230 Boiler [ 25 Answers ]

I am considering a Ultra 230 boiler and in looking over the documentation I have three questions: 1. What the heck is a "condensing" boiler? 2. Will this boiler system work with cast iron radiators? 3. The piping diagram shows a 12" long connection atop the boiler between the input and...

Repeated Hard Lockouts with Weil-McLain Ultra 2 [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Weil-McLain Ultra Series 2 -155 Gas Fired Water boiler furnace that has been installed for about a year. It started with hard lockouts, code E18 occurring about once ever week or two. It has gradually gotten worse with soft lockout code b30 acting as a hard lockout and not resetting. ...

Weil McLain Gas Heat & Hot Water Boiler [ 1 Answers ]

What does error code E-19 mean?

Weil-McLain Boiler settings? Look right? [ 3 Answers ]

Weil-McLain Gold Oil Model: WTGO-4 Series: 3 Net Output... Water 128 MBH Pressure set at 22 Water Temp at 162 Feet H20 at 40 Water Heater is Amtrol Boilermate WH7ZDW

Heating weil mclain furnace [ 1 Answers ]

My furnace burner don't want to start by imself If I push the reset buton the burner start for 45 second That it I need to keep pushing the button for burner to start What is my propleme, why do the burner don't want to start By imself?

View more questions Search