Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mulattomama Posts: 36, Reputation: 7

Apr 13, 2009, 03:18 PM
    FMLA - company now has less than 50 employees!
    I'm due to deliver a baby in July. My company now has less than 50 employees and I've heard rumors that they may not offer FMLA anymore because they no longer have to. Do I have any rights at all? What is the worst case scenario if they stop offering FMLA - that my job isn't secure?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 13, 2009, 07:35 PM

Worst case, you take off to have a baby, come back, they hired someone else and you don't have a job.

But what is the companies maternity policy, most have them, how much time are you planning to take off.
    mulattomama Posts: 36, Reputation: 7

Apr 14, 2009, 07:34 AM
    Company doesn't have a maternity policy. They only have FMLA policy. Basically if they take away FMLA I'm probably out of a job. Due to economy, company is trying not to lay off, but when people quit, they aren't replacing them in the last year or two. When I leave on maternity, without FMLA, I'm probably not going to have a job to return to.

If after my (minimum 6 weeks) time off I do not have a job to return to, will I be eligible for unemployment benefits while I look for a new job?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2009, 03:51 PM

If you are laid off, then yes, you would be eligible for UI. If you are out and out fired, then no.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Questions about the treatment of employees at my company. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, and thank you to anyone who can answer any questions regarding a few questions that I have about the company that I work at. I am a restaurant manager, I have been at the place that I work for a little over 2 years. The following things that have happened have happened to me, and other...

When employees are controlling the company. [ 4 Answers ]

Coming on board to a new company is hard enough learning all the ins and outs Of your daily tasks but when you throw in pressure, expectations and control in The mix from veteran employees who don't someone coming in disturbing the Status quo of things.. what does one do when the owner is...

Can a company legally ask its employees for their citizenship? [ 5 Answers ]

Can a company legally ask its employees in the U.S. and other countries their citizenship?

Small company with out of state employees [ 1 Answers ]

We are based in NY, and we have employees with home offices in Georgia, Virginia, and Missouri. I know we file payroll taxes in these states, but do we have to file any corporate tax returns also?

View more questions Search