Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mulattomama Posts: 36, Reputation: 7

Apr 13, 2009, 03:13 PM
    Lactation consultation services
    Does anyone know of any lactation consultation services that are available either free of charge or for a nominal fee in the Chicagoland area? I am delivering my 2nd child in July and had such a hard time with breastfeeding and no support with my first one. This time I want to be prepared ahead of time, but I don't have $200-$300 to spend when I'm on FMLA leave with no income for 12 weeks! La Leche League here didn't really help aside from telling me to come to one of their open meetings which are only once or twice a week and wouldn't help if my baby wasn't getting a good latch and thus wasn't eating!
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2009, 06:25 PM

Here's a start: Lactation Consultants Directory - Illinois

Also, check with the location you will be giving birth at. You might want to consider a breastfeeding class prior to having the baby. Some educators will give out their phone number and e-mail address so that the mothers/families can get in contact later if they have questions or concerns.

Many hospitals and birthing centers will have lacation consultants or counselors on staff to help while you are there, but also that you can come back in to see if need be. Fees will vary. You could also inquire as to whether they had anyone available who is working on obtaining their counsulting hours towards certification... this would likely reduce and fee; might even be free.

The hospital may have a breastfeeding support group as well that you can attend. This way you would meet other mothers and might be able to call on a few of them with questions and support as well.
    mulattomama Posts: 36, Reputation: 7

Apr 14, 2009, 07:40 AM
    I was hoping you would reply as I saw you answered a lot of BF questions. So thanks!
    I should have explained that I'm giving birth at a local community hospital where I delivered my first 2 years ago. I took a BF course then and it was given by one of the nurses. They do not have an LC on staff. I repeatedly asked for assistance during my stay after giving birth and had nurses tell me that I had no milk (ummm... duh.. it takes a couple days to come in!) or that I should just shove my nipple in the baby's mouth! Clearly not reassuring when the patient knows more than the supposed trained person! Anyway, because of all the issues, and that my baby was trying to nurse like hours at a time and still losing weight, my pediatrician had me switch to formula. Basically the baby couldn't get a good latch (I have nipples about the size of nickels) and I literally spent every waking moment - and there was a lot - trying to breastfeed because my baby was crying in hunger. Also I take meds for my high blood pressure (pre-pregnancy) and my pedi thought this wasn't a good thing as some passed through my milk.

Sigh.. long story ending... I've researched the meds and they're fine with breastfeeding so now I really want to make a good go of breastfeeding. I bought an electric pump too just in case I can't fix my latch issues.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2009, 08:33 AM

I'd definitely try a local LC then, or speak again to a LLL leader about your past experience. Speak to them before you have the baby to go over some ideas that may prove helpful right from the start.

Might also call the hospital to see if anything has gotten better in that regard as well... maybe they have someone on staff now, maybe they have had some training... hopefully!
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2009, 09:03 AM

I had a problem with my first son latching on as I have inverted nipples.I had a great R.N. who gave me some very helpful hints.

Toughen up your nipples ahead of time.If you have inverted nipples,pull on them and manipulate them until you can get them to pop out.

Don't be concerned about holding your baby a certain way.The football position is helpful for babies who won't latch on.

Try expressing your milk by hand,not a pump,and get out a little bit and then put the baby on.Sometimes all they need is a taste.
    Warm cloths can help to ease the let down reflex.

Attending a la leche meeting is a good idea.Other Moms will have lots of helpful hints as not latching on is a common problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Phone consultation [ 5 Answers ]

Anyone know of a legit attorney I can have a phone consultation with? Thanks.

Do I owe a consultation fee if? [ 12 Answers ]

I was in the process of getting my estate stuff together.. and I decided to meet with a few different attys.. first one was too expensive…went to office talked decided not to use.. 2nd ….he asked me to meet him at library i.did…talked about 15 min about my stuff then he wanted to know about me a...

Do I have to pay an undisclosed consultation fee (NY)? [ 3 Answers ]

My question is the following: I live in NY and saw an attorney about completing a Will. The attorney was so completely outrageous in his pricing, and felt that he had based his price on income that we interviewd other lawyers. 3 Months later I get a $300 bill for his consultation fee. I called...

Dog lactation and possible lack thereof. [ 3 Answers ]

Two months ago I was adopted by a stray dog. I thought she might be pregnant a couple of weeks ago because it seemed like overnight her breasts(what are they called on a dog?) became swollen but I just didn't realize she was so far along. THis morning I walked outside to lovely suprises... She had...

View more questions Search