Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pnicholas1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2009, 02:10 PM
    How to find a 401k
    How do I find a 401k if the company in out of business?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 13, 2009, 02:26 PM

This can be tough. There is no national clearing house that you can search for old 401(k)'s. If the company that sponsored the plan is poutr of business you need to find out who the administartor of the plan is, and contact them. This would be a bank, or an investment house, or maybe an insurance company. You should be receiving quarterly statements from them reporting your balance, so check your records at home and see if you can find an old statement. If not, then my suggestion is to contact your old boss or any old colleagues you may have kept in touch with and see if they know who the administrator is. If that doesn't help... another source is the National Registry of Unclaimed Retirement Benefits (NRURB). They are responsible with keeping over 50,000 individual retirement accounts for individuals who have forgotten 401(k), profit sharing and other company sponsored plan balances that have been abandoned. These assets are invested in the most conservative low yielding vehicles available, CD's and Money Market funds.
    http://www.unclaimedretirementbenefi...cipantSearch.m
    The final suggestion is go online and search for abandoned property in the state you lived in at the time. If you have not been receiving statements from the 401(k) plan administrator they may now consider you lost, and by law they would have turned your assets over to the state. Every state has a program to try to reunite people with their lost assets. Here is a free web site that lets you search your state's database of abandoned assets: Missing Money Free Search for Unclaimed Property - Officially endorsed By The States. It's a good idea to do a search on every state you ever lived in to see if there are abandoned assets in your name.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to find my 401K [ 12 Answers ]

Hi well I have a question about how I find out how much money is in my 401K since the last place I worked is no longer in existence. So now what do I do and where do I go to find out I do not get statements etc. thanks for your time... muffinsmom:confused:

Can't find old 401k [ 6 Answers ]

I've lost track of two different 401ks. One was through a company that must have changed their name or filed bankrupt. I spoke to the personnel dept. several times and they just gave me the run around. Not giving any info. The other was through the US Army. Any suggestions?

How to find a lost 401K [ 1 Answers ]

My question is. I was putting money in a 401K with my last employer. I changed employers just about a year ago, I have a new 401K plan with them. Is there a way I can get the old 401K in my bank account or do I have to roll it over into the exsisting account. ...

Find out how much you have in 401k [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to find out how much I have saved in my 401k. I don't work at those places I put into it at. How do I go about finding out my balance?

Find my 401k [ 1 Answers ]

How do you find a 20 year old 401k I have no papers on it

View more questions Search