Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stash237 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2006, 12:08 PM
    Etching by Varin
    I have an etching by Varin called "Wall Street 1856: It has the trademark on the right side SLZ-------------------It also has a number 8618 A. I cannot find any info on this, can you help me. Thank you Stanley
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2006, 12:27 PM
    This is one of those done by a member of the Paris Etching Society... and to make a long and mysterious story short: They are of little to no value.
    zenpainter Posts: 10, Reputation: -2

Oct 22, 2006, 04:11 PM
    Interesting! I know a little bit about it. The SZL stands for Sidney Z. Lucas, the son
    Of Camilla Lucas who started a Gallery in New York. She commissioned artists from
    Paris, France, and the initials bear a stamp of authenticity.
    I have a Master of Arts degree, but certainly not in this area! However, my former
    Art History professor who has expertise in the area of Barbizon painting in 19th Century
    France. He told me that my work looks strikingly like that of one of the more
    Obscure Etchings of Jules Dupre. If that is definitely the case, it is worth well into
    The 5 figure mark. I hope you find out more.
    Look on the sites for Paris Etching Society, The Old Print Shop, NY, and
    The Artist under various notable sites. Good luck!;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paris Etching Society [ 4 Answers ]

I have a framed etching entitled " The Yonne Canal, France" by F. Roth. The left bottom reads; 2, then SZL in a circle, Canal de l' Yonne 1 France. Signed F. Roth in the right bottom corner and Paris Etching Society NY USA in the top right. Would anyone have any information pertaining to the...

Paris Etching Society [ 1 Answers ]

I have an etching by Paul Emile Lecomte and the Paris Etching Society that has been handed down for several generations in my family. The title of the etching is "The Hamlet in France" / "Le Hameau". It has the letters SZL in a circle and then in the bottom left hand corner NO. 8. It is...

View more questions Search