Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alhacoju4 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2009, 09:46 AM
    Rid Spider Webs 2 Story Pool Cage
    We have a two story pool cage. How do you get rid of a lot of spiders and webs at the top of the cage. I can't find a pest company who can reach the top and the pressure washer people said if I don't kill the spiders first they will be back within a week. Any suggestions??
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 13, 2009, 04:14 PM
    It's kind of labor-intensive, but taking a broom head on the end of an extending handle and sweeping down the webs will eventually encourage the spiders to seek their prey elsewhere, which is why they spin in the first place. If you're not concerned with staining, a little wasp spray applied to the webster will kill the spiders it contacts, but the spray can stain or smear on painted surfaces and will mar vinyl.
    gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

Apr 14, 2009, 02:16 PM
    Pest control companies do use a mop type of broom sometimes lightly infused with insecticide to control spiders. But I think part of the issue is with the height of the pool cage. To rig a broom to sweep the ceiling 2 stories above a pool sounds like it might be too difficult.

The pest control companies probably don't want to bother with renting a boom lift or a boom lift can't fit inside your cage. Or their ladders aren't tall enough. Or they don't want to build a catwalk system. Or the bid would have to be too expensive. Or they're just plain old declining the job - not enough skills, experience, or imagination. A boom lift you could rent probably wouldn't be able to extend over the center of your pool. You do have a dilemma. What kind of bid did you get from the pressure washers?

Regardless of whether pesticides or a pressure washer is being used, the spiders will return. It just might take longer if pesticides are used. How would the pressure washers get close enough to the ceiling to knock the spiders down?

I am surprised that the pressure washing people declined the job, if they thought they could get enough pressure onto the ceiling/cage to do the job. Spiders are tenacious and can survive a strong jet of water, by hiding. Perhaps this is why they declined. But if the spiders get a direct hit they can be knocked to the ground. Look for a company that can wash with hot water. This will increase the kill. Most of the spiders should fall into the pool where they can be cleaned up or into the gutters where they should wash out into the lawn.

Once, the spiders and webs are removed, can you exclude the spiders from the enclosure/cage? If not, then you will be regularly washing or treating for spiders when they come back, and they will come back, but probably not as soon as 1 week. Are there lots of trees and bushes in proximity to the cage? This increases the habitat for spiders and their prey.

The other thing to consider is that spiders are beneficial, and don't bite people that often. My guess is that you like a clean house and you have guests coming over and you want to clean out the webs as much as you want to get rid of the spiders. If the pressure washing people can reach the ceiling, and the price is reasonable, ask them to do the job anyway. You're really just cleaning, anyway.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 15, 2009, 02:12 AM
    I just happened to check one of the big box home improvement stores yesterday. A 40 foot extending handle is in the paint section for around fifty dollars. A webster head is eight. How much does the pressure washing company want per visit?

The DIY method also offers the advantage of immediate availability. Any other method will take a period (weeks? Months?) to achieve noticeable control.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Change in weight of bird-cage when the bird is flying inside the cage? [ 2 Answers ]

Q1. What kind of Change would be observed in the weight of bird-cage, weighed by a spring balance 1. when the bird is sitting inside the cage 2. when the bird is flying inside the cage? WHY? Q2. A 1.0 gm. Seed is sown on the earth after few years it becomes one of the biggest trees in the...

Spider webs causing check engine light [ 1 Answers ]

My 2007 Hyundia Sonata has only 22,000 miles. I brought the car into the dealer for a "engine light" problem with a PO449 code. I was charged a $100 to clean out a spider web that caused a "vent control solenoid" to malfunction. Even though I have 36K bumper to bumper coverage the repair was not...

Screen on roof of pool cage [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to put 20/20 screen mesh on roof panels as I have many pine trees in my yard, current problem pine needles stick through screen right now I know they will not pass through 20/20 mesh screen Im in Fl and it rains very hard at times will the water pass through or give me a problem . ...

Webs on shrubs [ 1 Answers ]

Something is making webs on our shrubs. There are several of these webs, and when I knock them down, they reappear by the next day. I don't think it's bag worms because I've seen those before and these look different. I don't see any bugs or spiders on them. I'm always afraid to put chemicals...

Spider webs/varicose veins [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I know someone who have spider webs and varicose veins. Is there a non surgical way of removing it? Thanks!

View more questions Search