Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jgreen9877 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2006, 10:06 AM
    Partion on hard drive and unstable windows
    I am using Windows XP pro. My primary hard drive is ATA 112 gig
    Partition C: is 30 gig with 8.7 free. D: has the remaining gig
    My new drive (designated H:) is 200 gig. I tried to use Partition Magic to enlarge the C: partition, but it reports that there are problems with the drive and it is unable to do so. I used Norton Disk Doctor and I fully defragmented both partitions but it did not help.

Windows had become unstable and listed not enough room on C: as a possible problem. I have moved about as much as I dare from C:
    I have a pentium 4 2GHz CPU. My system remains unstable. All programs tend to hang.

Any suggestions.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 13, 2006, 10:20 AM
    Does D have 82G? Frankly, what I would do at this point is get comething like Norton Ghost and make a clone of the C And D Drives unto DVD or an external drive. Then remove the 112G drive and install the 200G as primary. Use the C drive clone and restore the C drive, then use PM to partition the drive. Then restore the D partition.

You can then install the 112G drive as Secondary and reformat it and see if it behaves.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

BIOS/CMOS can find my second hard drive but Windows cannot [ 5 Answers ]

Hey all, I installed windows on a 1GB primary master hard drive and that is working fine. And now I am trying to attach a 40GB Seagate as a primary slave hard drive to put music and pictures and games and document etc on it. But the screen that first comes up when you press restart (not sure...

Used hard drive [ 4 Answers ]

I put a used hard drive in my computer,and tried to install windows 98 it keeps saying that the drive is dirty and it needs cleaning,How do I do that?

Install Windows on Separate Hard Drive? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm adding an external hard drive to my system for extra storage. I'm unfamiliar with adding additional storage so this is a pretty basic question: do I need to install my copy of Windows on the new hard drive in order to get it to operate? Or can I save, retrieve, etc from the new drive with...

View more questions Search