Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dtelles Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2006, 09:39 AM
    Mower locked up
    Hi I have craftsman 6.5 push mower that is about 8 years old. I went to prime it to start it last week and after it starts it only stays on for about 5 to 10 seconds and then shuts off. Then it won't start again unless I prime it again. It did this about 10 times and then the engine locked up and it won't turn over at all now. I checked the oil and it has the right level. I guess first of all how do I get it to unlock and then why isn't it staying on?
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2006, 09:30 PM
    For the not running part... the carb, sounds like trash in the carb (which would mean a rebuild kit gaskets and all and tear it apart, soak it in carb cleaner and blow it out with compressed air)

For being locked up...
    Take the spark plug out and see if it turns over easy now... may have gotten fuel in the combustion chamber locking it...

IF that's not it, only other possibility is the rope on the starter jumped the pulley and jammed, or flywheel brake isn't working right.
    adam w Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2006, 11:31 AM
    Hi there I had the same poblem try your air filter see if that's blocked up. If its not there should be 1 or 2 screws which are the jets it controls your fuel and oil mixture then just alternate between the two and that could well be your problem ;)
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2006, 06:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by adam w
    hi there i had the same poblem try your air filter see if thats blocked up. If its not there should be 1 or 2 screws which are the jets it controlls your fuel and oil mixture then just alternate between the two and that could well be your problem ;)
    This engine is a 4 cycle, no oil fuel mix (and if its only a couple years old, no fuel adjustments) you do have a point on the filter.. if its totally stopped up (or almost) it will be like choking it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mower wheel locked [ 1 Answers ]

I have a toro self-propelled mower. I was mowing today and all-of-a-sudden the rear left wheel locked. Any ideas?

Word documents locked for edit - HELP! [ 3 Answers ]

I have Windows ME and Microsoft word. I have all my word documents from school arranged in folders based on each semester. Today, I opened up a 12 page paper for editing and I cannot do a single thing to this document. Each time I try, I get the following message "The command is not available...

Locked Out Checking Account [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Virginia. I have my daughter on my checking account. Capital One issued a garnishment against her that froze my accounts. They are telling her she has to request a hearing asking for the account to be unfrozen but also must be able to prove that the money in the account is not hers. ...

Locked out of AllExperts.com [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Guys, I'm a expert on this site, (plumbing page), as well as AllExperts.com. I went to answer a question this morning and got this back. Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80040e14' The log file for database 'allexperts' is full. Back up the...

View more questions Search