Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2009, 09:00 AM
    Money order
    Is there a way to check online if a money order has been processed for payment? I bought it at the Post Office but I can't find anything on their website.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2009, 09:32 AM

I'd go to the branch that you bought it and have then put a tracer on the MO number for you. I doubt you'll find anything online about MO's from the post office. Has to be done in person with the MO stub in your hot little hand.
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2009, 09:38 AM

Gah, I don't want to! LOL :)

Long story: got a 1099-C after filing taxes and receiving state refund; mailed in amended return and $1900 on 3/18; got an amended 1099-C on 3/23 - they originally recorded that they cancelled the entire amount, rather than just writing off the difference between the account and what we settled it for.

So I'm trying to find out if the MO has been processed so I can mail in ANOTHER amended return; want to make sure it's paid for so that our illustrious government doesn't get confused :)
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2009, 09:46 AM

Sorry, but you got to go in person and even THEN it will take up to 2 weeks for our post office to get an answer on the MO being cashed or not.

On the OTHER hand, have you tried calling up the Irritable Refund Service and see if they actually got the money order and cashed your check before you go and send them more bucks? Try talking to a supervisor or (worse yet) go to their offices if near you and talk to them in person. You may have to travel to the big city to do this though and that's even worse of a hassle. Maybe just a friendly phone call might clear up this mystery for you. (Hope so).

Why would you send them a MO in the first place? Is this some sort of new rule where you can't do a personal check instead? Or a cashier's check? I'd never send anyone (even the gov't) a MO for anything. But then, that's just me as I don't trust anyone with MO's.
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2009, 01:25 PM

Oh, I'm not sending them money this time; I'm getting it back! Even more confusing! LOL

As for the MO: we ran out of checks. We both use our check card a majority of the time, so it really wasn't an issue... till now :)
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2009, 02:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384 View Post
    Oh, I'm not sending them money this time; I'm getting it back! Even more confusing! LOL

As for the MO: we ran out of checks. We both use our check card a majority of the time, so it really wasn't an issue....till now :)
    Yeah I hear you on running out of checks and using bank card. I write practically zero checks a month and use my card for even $2.00 purchases. Don't carry cash as I spend it too easily. Should have gone to the bank and gotten a cashier's check but it's too late now. I don't trust the Irritable Service one iota for one.

On the lighter side... That's fantastic they are actually sending YOU money back. Did you call and pester them until they gave up??

Hooray for you! P.S. Don't spend it all in one place...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Default Order - How do I collect my money [ 1 Answers ]

Recently I was awarded a default order on censent, now I need to know how to collect my money.

My money order got lost in the mail. [ 4 Answers ]

My money order got lost in the mailnow what? I have the recipt wich is the little paper you rip of the end of it... can I get mi money bak with that? Heeellppppp

Tracing a money order [ 1 Answers ]

When tracing a money order will it let you know if a company cashed it and who signed the money order? The reason I ask this is because I sent a money order to my cable company and they said it never been received. But I traced the money order and it been cashed.

How much money do you have to make in order to claim taxes [ 2 Answers ]

How much money do you have to make in order to claim taxes

Money order [ 2 Answers ]

Where can I cash a money order written out to me. I don't have a bank account

View more questions Search