Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MsCanFix Posts: 62, Reputation: 3

Apr 12, 2009, 10:01 AM
    Why is refill into toilet bowl from bowl rim holes so sloppy?
    Help! I have removed the old ball float from my toilet system and installed a fluidmaster and since I've done that the water coming out of the holes underneath the rim of the bowl literally plopps out of the holes in a straight line and splashes up on the toilet seat and... well if your sitting there your "bum,bum" the water pressure is fine probably almost too much, I've looked to see if the holes are calcified and their not. Why is this refilling this way?? And is their something I can do to create a more graceful refill?

Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 12, 2009, 01:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MsCanFix View Post
    Help!! I have removed the old ball float from my toilet system and installed a fluidmaster and since I've done that the water coming out of the holes underneath the rim of the bowl literally plopps out of the holes in a straight line and splashes up on the toilet seat and ...well if your sitting there your "bum,bum" the water pressure is fine probably almost too much, I've looked to see if the holes are calcified and their not. Why is this refilling this way??? and is their something I can do to create a more graceful refill??

thanks
    Changing the ballcock shouldn't affect the way the tank drains. All the ballcock does is fill the tank and when you lift the flapper gravity does the rest. Or do you have a power flush unit in your tank? Something charged when you replaced the ballcock. What was it? Regards, tom

Apr 13, 2009, 05:28 PM

Hi Tom, thanks for responding, I do not have a power flush unit. The toilet is an Eljer and had a reservoir cup around the overflow tube and flapper contraption, that reservoir cup had been cut down so now all the water in the tank is being used to flush the toilet instead of what was coming from the reservoir cup, assuming that the reservoir cup was for older toilets like this for water saving. I was thinking that because this reservoir cup within the tank was cut that now there is too much water being pushed into the tank and bowl? I was hoping I was not going to have to tear down this whole thing and put that cup back in, before the cup was cut there was no pressure and you couldn't flush twice so now no cup and awful refill into bowl?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2009, 05:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MsCanFix View Post
    Hi Tom, thanks for responding, I do not have a power flush unit. The toilet is an Eljer and had a resevoir cup around the overflow tube and flapper contraption, that resevoir cup had been cut down so now all the water in the tank is being used to flush the toilet instead of what was coming from the resevoir cup, assuming that the resevoir cup was for older toilets like this for water saving. I was thinking that because this resevoir cup within the tank was cut that now there is too much water being pushed into the tank and bowl?? I was hoping I was not going to have to tear down this whole thing and put that cup back in, before the cup was cut there was no pressure and you couldnt flush twice so now no cup and awful refill into bowl??
    This commode is designed to flush right with the clear plastic reservoir cup in place. If it is not there several things can happen, one is that the force of the water coming out of the fill valve can make the flapper stay up and it will then continue to let the water flow out of the flush valve and use way too much water per flush. I have never heard of one doing what you describe but I am sure anything is possible. One thing you might try is to turn the supply valve down so that the water does not come into the tank as fast as it does now.

One question, since the reservoir was cut out how can you replace it?

Apr 13, 2009, 09:13 PM

Ohhhh wow, yup... thats exactly what's going on "letmetellu" A handyman came in to fix this... :eek: well... fix it yeah... fix it to make more for me to stress over and have to figure out myself:rolleyes: I heard this snapping and sawing crazyness coming out of the bathroom and go in to see the guy cutting out the reservoir cup:mad: I needless to say flipped out, sent him.. uhhhh packing his shhtufff and now have a messed up toilet. I have turned the water supply down and that was a GREAT idea... THANK YOU!! That has really helped the plopping, splashing that was going on. I am thinking now that I will have to go to a plumbing supply store and buy a replacement cup? Or should I just leave it rigged this way?

Should I just buy a different fluidmaster... the lower flow water/silencer one and put my water valve back up to being fully on? The only problem with lowering the valve is now the water pressure is less and its not flushing fully without clogging. I just wonder if it would be a waste of money to do that because the low flow fluidmaster will be like lowering the valve. Dam, its either no pressure for the toilet or so much where it splashes and tidal waves you right off the seat.
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 14, 2009, 09:25 AM
    Have you tried lowering the tanks water level so the volume reaching the bowl's reduced?
    Try it and let me know if it vhelps. Good luck, Tom
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2009, 10:07 AM

I would be surprised if you can find one of the plastic cups that you want and even if you do it is a job to replace, you have to take the tank off the bowl and you would need a new tank to bowl gasket and new brass tank bolts, but you can do it is it just not easy.

Good luck.

Apr 14, 2009, 12:07 PM

First of all I just have to say Thanks for your guys help... ok, well I lowered the water level in the tank and not only does it not give the bowl enough water to flush fully it plopps water out of the bowl refill holes still so I put the water level back up. Since this is an Eljer toilet all the freakin parts are sooooo dam expensive, because the builder of the house couldn't be practical and put in standard toilets he put in the Emblem style... SQUARE toilet seat :eek: I called to get prices on a new seat... OMG at least $65-$83 because it's a seat style that I'm told they don't make anymore. Who puts in an odd ball shape seat... forget that... I'm about function and practicality! Pretty soon it's going to be a whole new toilet... a Commercial one, one that will flush so good it'll take whoever's sitting on it down with it! :D So, not only do I have a toilet issue I also have a need a new toilet seat with the square shape front issue. Seriously, a messed up toilet and an idiot handyman that cut the reservoir cup stresses me out... lol:rolleyes:

Apr 14, 2009, 12:16 PM

Ohhh yeah, I totally agree "letmetellu" your right to replace that cup and get all the parts will be expensive and a nightmare to change and I guess at that point I will just get a new toilet for the cost of the parts. The seat alone is a rip off and the shape of the bowl itself is all rippled for design I guess but there again not practical to clean. Never will I ever buy an Eljer that's for sure. My parents have Eljer toilets in their house too, again, builder choice.. They have issues with the toilets in their house also... So much in common with our houses... leaves lots of go over their house for dinner conversation.
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2009, 12:07 PM

I am not sure that you would want to order a seat for you Emblem commode but I am sending you this site just in case, it was around $25.00

Replacement service for Eljer Emblem rare, old, and discontinued colored regular and long extended extra long - stretched and flat front replacement toilet seats

Apr 15, 2009, 02:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by letmetellu View Post
    I am not sure that you would want to order a seat for you Emblem commode but I am sending you this site just in case, it was around $25.00

Replacement service for Eljer Emblem rare, old, and discontinued colored regular and long extended extra long - stretched and flat front replacement toilet seats

Thank you soooo much for that link and the time you put into that for me. Wow, the price seems so low compared to the supply places out here that carry that seat. Ok, so laugh at this one but do you think that is a new seat or a refurbished one.. lol:eek: The price just seems so low. (tiptoes outta da room for asking such a silly question)
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 15, 2009, 04:39 PM
    do you think that is a new seat or a refurbished one.. lol The price just seems so low. (tiptoes out of da room for asking such a silly question)
    "Why are toilet seats non-returnable?"
    For hygiene reasons, we cannot allow or accept return of any toilet seat or bidet seat once it has left our business. When you order your seat from us, you can be absolutely certain the seat is brand new, and has never been used by anyone before. Once a seat has been delivered and has been in the possession of the purchaser, there is no way for us to be completely sure the seat was never installed or tested; even if we're told the box had only been opened to look at the color or design of the seat, how would we then be able to guarantee the cleanliness of that seat to any other customer? We want you to rest assured any toilet seat you purchase from us is sanitary, brand new, and was never used or installed by anyone before you. However, if we accepted return of any toilet seat, we could not make this same guarantee to the next customer. And now you know the rest of the story.
    Cheers, Tom

Apr 15, 2009, 05:00 PM

I was at Home Depot the other day making a return and there was a guy in front of me making a return on a Kohler toilet seat, the box was all opened and he told the girl that it was the wrong fit... ughhhhh I wanted to say... wrong fit for your Bum, Bum or the Bowl... ekkkkkk yuk... they took the seat back and gave him his money back. I wouldn't have wanted to be her doing the return, I agree with you fully on the hygiene issue... worst thought of all I was thinking.. hmmm now will they put that back on the shelf for someone else to buy.:eek:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My bowl tank won't refill [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm having a problem with my bathroom tank. The water suddenly stop flowing to it after I flush. Can someone point me to where I can start looking to see what the problem is?

Toilet bowl [ 2 Answers ]

Toilet bowl water is consistently low. Water in tank is fine but water in bowl gets low numerous times daily. What can be done?

Is it possible to get a STD from a toilet bowl? [ 2 Answers ]

I think I have a STD and I think I might have gotten one from a toilet bowl. This is really freaking me out!

Toilet bowl [ 1 Answers ]

How can I get a cell phone out of my toilet that was accidentally flushed? I can feel it wedged in the very back of the bowl. I have used a wire coat hanger and even tried hitting it with a hammer, but it won't budge. Please help me!

Toilet bowl does not refill after flush [ 1 Answers ]

The toilet flushes OK, but the water level is real low in the bowl after the flush. What is the problem?

View more questions Search