Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    soybean63 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2009, 08:11 AM
    Who has Jurisdiction?
    If a Parent was originally a resident in Nevada as a minor; has court ordered Child support visitation on a child and physical custody... and has moved to SC ( since becoming an adult) with child and needs to modify Court order which court would have Jurisdiction to do the modification?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 12, 2009, 08:24 AM
    Which ever court made the original order.

It's rather unclear from your post, so further information would be helpful.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2009, 10:02 AM

It depends on where your co-parent resides. If your custody and support orders originated in Nevada and the child's other parent still resides in Nevada, Nevada has jurisdiction and you'd have to file for modification there.

If the other parent has moved to a different state then you might be able to modify child custody in SC but support would have to be modified in the state in which the other parent resides.

We need more facts to give a specific answer.

The answer to your question is found in two uniform acts:

As to child custody: see the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA).

As to child support: see the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who has jurisdiction ? [ 4 Answers ]

A credit card co. has a judgement against me but it was not filed in the county I reside in? Do they have jurisdiction?

Which State has Jurisdiction? [ 2 Answers ]

Here is my situation: Exhusband we will refer to as "EH" and minor child "K" EH is active duty military member stationed in California, but is a RESIDENT of Missouri, his home state. I left him in January 2002 and moved to Mississippi with "K" who at the time was 4 years of age in order to...

Change of Jurisdiction [ 1 Answers ]

I have been trying to find out how to change jurisdiction for upcoming court cases. My ex takes me back to court every 2 years to increase my child support payments. I recently moved to FL from GA. The divorce and child support modifications have all been done in GA. Now I want to modify the child...

Jurisdiction change [ 16 Answers ]

Hello, I have custody of my son and we have been living in Alabama for 8 years. My divorce decree occurred in TN. I need to change jurisdiction because my husband has broken our agreement regarding his visitation with my son. I do not have a lawyer in AL but I do know I need to get...

Law and Jurisdiction [ 5 Answers ]

I have a discussion due on the importance of Law and Jurisdiction. This is what I have so far on law : I am having troube with the Jurisdiction part. I have read in my text about the different courts, and understand them, but I am stuck on the importance of Jurisdiction. Any help would...

View more questions Search