Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tonko Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2009, 05:01 AM
    Rootkit infection?
    I seem to have some sort of malware on my PC. Looking around at certain blogs I think it may be something called a Rootkit infection (?). Apparently not at all good. My PC has certainly slowed down recently and I noticed something that I thought I had got rid of a couple of months back has now reappeared - a folder called RECYCLER. No matter what I use to delete it, it will not go. Previously I used "Malwarebytes' and it wiped it out and the PC started performing again. It doesn't pick it up now at all, nor does AVG, even when the folder is scanned alone. Any ideas anyone?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Apr 12, 2009, 05:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tonko View Post
    ...a folder called RECYCLER. No matter what I use to delete it, it will not go... Any ideas anyone?
    That folder is part of Windows NT and later Windows version's Recycle Bin. See Microsoft Support: Differences Between the Recycle Bin and the Recycler Folder. Scans for malware may flag the folder if it contains a malware file that was deleted and then the Recycle Bin not emptied to permanently delete it.
    Helljack6 Posts: 107, Reputation: 8

Apr 14, 2009, 02:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tonko View Post
    I seem to have some sort of malware on my PC. Looking around at certain blogs I think it may be something called a Rootkit infection (?). Apparantly not at all good. My PC has certainly slowed down recently and I noticed something that I thought I had got rid of a couple of months back has now reappeared - a folder called RECYCLER. No matter what I use to delete it, it will not go. Previously I used "Malwarebytes' and it wiped it out and the PC started performing again. It doesn't pick it up now at all, nor does AVG, even when the folder is scanned alone. Any ideas anyone?
    First off, stop relying on a single piece of software to catch anything and everything, if that were the case, the choices of any preventive software for computers would be limited to a very small group.

Second, in addition to your Malwarebytes, download, install and update Spybot S&D 1.6.2 and run it as well. If you need to know how to set it up, click on my link in my signature to go to my website to learn how.

Third, do a VERY thorough cleaning on your computer, steps on how to do it are found here - Keepin' it Clean - Helljack6.com

As previously stated, Recycler is part of the NT operating file system, HOWEVER, it's not normally visible in the file structure unless you've unhid system files/folders in the folder options.

NOW, if you have any other folders similarly named, like recycled (spelled just as it's typed) then yes you have a malware infection. Recycled is part of a medium threat malware that runs a process called game.exe and infects and propagates removable media suchs as external drives of ANY kind by creating a unique autorun.inf file hidden on the drive that is directly associated with the host/target computer's C:\recycled folder.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toe infection [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I don't know if this is the right sub-category, my apoligies if it is not. Around 3 weeks ago I started to notice my toe was red and slightly green to the side of the nail so I went to the doctors and got some antibiotics. I was given enough tablets for 1 week after the week of treatment...

Cat eye infection [ 1 Answers ]

My cat has a small patch of hair loss w/ a red rash over his eye. Someone told me that it looks like a yeast infection. Is it possible for them to get a yeast infection there? I was wondering if there were any home remedies for this?

Hidden driver, rootkit? C:WINDOWSSystem32Driversadojzhcu.SYS [ 6 Answers ]

This was missed with Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0 (version 7.0.1.321) and Trojanhunter 5.0. I found it; if it is a rootkit; running AVG Anti-Rootkit Free. After it was found and erased the first time when the computer was restarted it was there again only with a different ending to the file. It did the...

Infection or not [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone explain to me what this tingling sensation is when I go to the toilet for a wee?I even have it an hour or so after going to the toilet? Is this a common water infection or something else and can it be due to anything as me and my partner are trying for a baby?

Dog Eye Infection [ 1 Answers ]

I noticed today that my dog is rubbing at her eyes lots with her paws. She has a green/white discharge coming from both eyes and her corneas appear red. This is VERY similar to when I had an eye infection months ago (pink eye with discharge). I still have the Voltaren drops ...

View more questions Search