Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    guyweisz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2009, 03:27 AM
    Formatting C without harming D
    Hello, while trying to format the boot partition (C) from partition D (where all my data is stored) something happened and the format process could not be completed. Since then I have no access to any of my hard disk's partitions. While trying to access them from the OS installation CD, it said there is no hard disk installed on my computer (Acer laptop). Later on I tried the Western Digital's diagnostic tools (the HD is WD's) and it recognized the two partitions, yet there is not much to (you can't get access to files through diagnostic tools, you just see what there is). When I boot from DOS, it recognizes C: but when typing Dir it says the disk has no name and shows no files. It doesn't recognize D: though. So, I decided to execute an FDISK on C from DOS, but I was wondering whether it would harm the D partition, which is not even recognized by DOS. Any ideas? Thanks
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Apr 12, 2009, 06:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by guyweisz View Post
    ...When I boot from DOS, it recognizes C: but when typing Dir it says the disk has no name and shows no files. It doesn't recognize D: though. So, I decided to execute an FDISK on C from DOS, but I was wondering whether it would harm the D partition, which is not even recognized by DOS. Any ideas? Thanks
    One has to be careful fiddling with drive structures from DOS for modern Windows and other operating system installations. One issue is that partitions formatted with the NTFS or other file systems will not be recognized by DOS and assigned a drive letter which may result in the drives being lettered differently what they were in Windows. Another is the DOS FDISK and FORMAT commands that shipped with the Win9x or earlier series of operating systems do not work 100% correctly with large disks. FDISK needs a patch and FORMAT displays the size wrong. A third is that highly integrated computers like laptops may have special diagnostic or recovery partitions formatted with file systems not recognized by either DOS or Windows which again necessitates understanding exactly what partitions will be operated on when using a partitioning or formatting tool.

You can delete C: with a patched FDISK without affecting D:, however the OS installation disc's failure to recognize the drive is a concern. Usually it is easier to create, delete, and format partitions using Windows setup during installation that to resort to DOS. Personally, I'd stick the drive in a working system first, get a backup of the data, then zero fill it, check it with WD's diagnostic, and then rebuild it from scratch.

Resources:
    Microsoft Support: How to Use the Fdisk Tool and the Format Tool to Partition or Repartition a Hard Disk
    Microsoft Support: FDISK Does Not Recognize Full Size of Hard Disks Larger than 64 GB
    Microsoft Support: Format Displays Size of Partitions or Logical Drives Larger Than 64 GB Incorrectly

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can anyone stop me from self harming? [ 26 Answers ]

Hi I'm 12 and I want to know how to stop self harming myself I just want to stop but I can't because of pain that I let owt though it so please can some one advise me how to stop?

My boyfriend is self harming [ 3 Answers ]

I'm a 14 year old girl and I have been in a relasionship with this guy for about 6 mounths. A few weeks ago one of my best friends and my sister came up to me in school and told me I need to start talking to him more for a short while I gave up attempting to talk to him because he didn't seem...

Physically Harming [ 5 Answers ]

Has anyone ever been in the same room as someone being physically attacked and see the bruise?

1 to 2 glasses of wine she must be harming her child [ 15 Answers ]

Hello again everyone I guess all get to it, a girlfriend of mine is 28 weeks pregnant ( same as my self). My husband and I had dinner at her house with her husband as we walked in the table had been set, the only strange thing was we all had wine glasses. So I thought to myself well maybe will have...

Are there softwares that can increase internet speed?without harming your computer? [ 5 Answers ]

Are there softwares which can maximize internet speed and have no disadvantage

View more questions Search