Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    none12345 Posts: 1,439, Reputation: 234
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2009, 06:41 PM
    I cant seem to believe in God
    I used to be a christian, but over the few years I left. It seemed to be the right choice and everything at the time. Everything went well, till now recently, my relationship failed, I'm not doing too well in school and I feel lost. I feel like constantly I need to find my way. Have I been punished?

I just can't seem to believe in God. I really don't know why. What is the purpose of everything?
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2009, 06:47 PM

Hey,there's a story,footprints. Do you know it.

Here's the gist,
    A man was looking back on his life,in times of good he saw two sets of footprints in the sand,when in times of trouble,he saw only one set of footprints.

Confused the man asked God why did you leave me when I was in trouble.

God answered,where you see only one set of footprints that is when I carried you.

Never fear,God will never leave you.
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2009, 06:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by redhed35 View Post
    hey,theres a story,footprints. do you know it.

heres the gist,
    A man was looking back on his life,in times of good he saw two sets of footprints in the sand,when in times of trouble,he saw only one set of footprints.

confused the man asked God why did you leave me when i was in trouble.

God answered,where you see only one set of footprints that is when i carried you.

never fear,God will never leave you.
    Nice story. Im thinking about believing again. Im scared that things will be different and I'm not good enough to. God might not feel the same way anymore.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 11, 2009, 07:00 PM

Just because things go bad why do you feel you are being punished, you may be being put into a point or place you need to be even.

And normally things happen as a result of OUR actions, so what can you change in your life.

Do you need to get active in helping others,

If you are not doing well in school, study harder, get a tutor.
    Relationships fail, they take both people to be committed.

But look at the 12 followers of Christ, none of them retired to a yahat in the Red Sea? They were hunted, put in prison and more, Look where Paul was when he wrote most of the New Testement

A christian is not promised a easy life here on earth, they are promised to be saved and forgiven.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2009, 07:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by none12345 View Post
    Have I been punished?
    No. Life's hard sometimes, that's all.
    I just can't seem to believe in God.
    Then don't, and quit worrying about it.
    I really don't know why.
    Doesn't matter. If you can't, you can't.
    What is the purpose of everything?
    Different things have different purposes. Can you be more specific?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 11, 2009, 07:08 PM

Only you can decide what you want in your life. Only you can determine your beliefs.

I used to be a Christian, in many ways I still am, but not the ways that count to other Christians. I've found my own path, it works for me.

I know people that are devout Christians and I know Atheists, all good people, their beliefs don't make them who they are, it doesn't define them. Good is good.

If you are thinking of believing again, then you're already questioning. That's fine, questions lead to answers.

You'll figure it out, it may take some time, some trial and error, heck, it took me almost 30 years to figure out what worked for me.

Whatever you choose, be happy with who you are, don't let anyone tell you that your beliefs are wrong, because they belong to you and no one else.

What's with me today? All these long heartfelt, mushy posts. Am I losing my touch? :eek:
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2009, 07:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Only you can decide what you want in your life. Only you can determine your beliefs.

I used to be a Christian, in many ways I still am, but not the ways that count to other Christians. I've found my own path, it works for me.

I know people that are devout Christians and I know Atheists, all good people, their beliefs don't make them who they are, it doesn't define them. Good is good.

If you are thinking of believing again, then you're already questioning. That's fine, questions lead to answers.

You'll figure it out, it may take some time, some trial and error, heck, it took me almost 30 years to figure out what worked for me.

Whatever you choose, be happy with who you are, don't let anyone tell you that your beliefs are wrong, because they belong to you and no one else.

What's with me today? All these long heartfelt, mushy posts. Am I loosing my touch? :eek:
    lol don't worry Alt, =P your mushy posts are interesting to read and it has meaning XD.

But yah I used to be Christian and my whole family is and they truly believe it is the way of life.

Im thinking of believing again to see if it's the right route for me and take me to the place I want to get years later. When I was small, I just followed my parents but a couple years ago, I've decided I wanted to explore something else.

Now I'm confused of whether to start believing again.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 11, 2009, 07:26 PM

Why not do some research. Go to a few churches of different denominations, see if they offer something you like.

Explore all possibilities, there isn't only one answer out there, trust me on that one.

I'm a Deist, or at least that's the closest definition for my beliefs. I guess we can call it Altyism. Does that mean I can make the ruels? Hmmm, something to think about.

It took me a long time, 10 years of Catholic school, confirmed Lutheran, church, bible study, etc. etc. I always had questions, no one had answers, so I found them myself, and now I am what I am (pass the spinach).

Don't do something to fit in. Really, if you find your own way, your own path, you'll be much happier. You'll know when you've found it, you'll feel that little click, that little spark, the "Aha, this is it!"

I should know, Altenweg means "Old path"

Don't ask. :(
    xXscarletskyXx Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Apr 11, 2009, 10:33 PM

You're not being punished. There are obstacles in life. Just because bad things happen it doesn't mean that God abandoned you, or that god doesn't exist. Life isn't easy, God didn't say it was going to be easy. Your good enough for God to accept. No matter what you do God will always be willing to accept you, and don't let anyone tell you different. God doesn't just abandon people like that. There has to be a series of decisions a person makes before god ever abandons them. You have to abandon God before he abandons you. And even after you abandon him, he will still take you back if you ask for forgiveness and believe in him.

About not being able to believed in God. There are influences in life from the devil, he'll try to get any person he can to stop believing in God. And sadly, sometimes this works. I have been through enough to know that God does exist. I'm great full to know that he's watching over me. Don't give up because bad things happen in life.

Ask for his forgiveness and fallow him. It's hard to believe in things you can't see. Just remember It's never too late and I hope you find what your looking for.

Hope I helped.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2009, 01:07 AM

You could be culturally christian, go to the church, sing the songs have easter and christmas but secretly just don't believe. Then you could have the support network and social aceptance without the guilt and worry.

Personally I have no idea how you can suddenly make yourself believe- I always thought you had it or you don't.
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2009, 11:06 PM
    none12345,
    I think you already do believe in God to some extent.
    Keep on mind that no matter how much or little you believe in God, God believes in you.
    God does love you unconditionally.
    Accept than and move on in life.
    Go talk to the pastors of several Churches, Catholic and Protestant, about your life's problems.
    They will help you find your way and help you make your own decision.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred (arcura)
    MiSSsy111222 Posts: 267, Reputation: 29

Apr 14, 2009, 10:51 AM

Maybe explore other religions. This might help you find your path.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2009, 01:03 PM

BTDT
    Walked with the Lord for a number of years, but was persuaded bu the pull of some non believers. Finally got a rude awakening and made a decision to return to God. The first time it was sort of go to church, do all the right things, but my heart was not really in it. This time is different. I/we made a decision that we were going to get involved, start learning and doing for others. What a difference. We now have a large circle of friends that support us no matter what.Like others have suggested, make visits to many different churches and find the one that fits you. There will be at least one that will fit you and you will feel comfortable in. Then, once you have made a decision to that church, get involved! That alone will make a hugh difference in your church/religious experience.
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2009, 09:30 PM
    Donn,
    That is good advice.
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2009, 01:32 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. Ill try to find my way of life. I got a question. There are so many religions out there, how do you know which one is the true religion?
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2009, 04:57 PM
    Thanks everyone for your input. Ill try to find my way of life. I got a question. There are so many religions out there, how do you know which one is the true religion?
    What makes you so sure there is such a thing as "the true religion"? Some form of religious expression is nearly universal in human cultures and societies, but that doesn't mean that some particular one of them has to be the true one, or even the truthiest one, does it? To me it just means that most of us want so much to transcend the bounds of life in this physical body/world that we can't help inventing stories that end that way. For all anyone can prove, they're all true.
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2009, 05:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ordinaryguy View Post
    What makes you so sure there is such a thing as "the true religion"? Some form of religious expression is nearly universal in human cultures and societies, but that doesn't mean that some particular one of them has to be the true one, or even the truthiest one, does it? To me it just means that most of us want so much to transcend the bounds of life in this physical body/world that we can't help inventing stories that end that way. For all anyone can prove, they're all true.
    Are you trying to say that all the Gods in every religion is the same God? If so, then are you say there is more than one God? How can so many Gods create life?
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2009, 06:51 PM
    none12345,
    It is a matter of belief as to which religion is the true one in peoples' opinion.
    I believe that Christianity is the true religion for it accomplished and provides more of God and His will and intent than do any others.
    Not only that but the Fact that the trinity God is the only God who is perfect in all respects and attributes tells me a lot for I believe that a God must be perfect or it is not a god.
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2009, 05:10 AM
    Are you trying to say that all the Gods in every religion is the same God? If so, then are you say there is more than one God? How can so many Gods create life?
    I'm not trying to say anything about God. I'm saying that the religious impulse finds some form of expression in every human society and culture, though not all individuals find these cultural expressions satisfying or meaningful. If you can find a religious tradition that satisfies your own impulse toward the Spirit, good for you. If not, you'll have to improvise. It's more trouble, but for some people, it's more satisfying. It's really up to you. I wish you well.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2009, 05:39 AM

Ordinaryguy,

There is a way that seemeth right unto a man but the end thereof is death.

That is what the Bible says, I understand that doesn't mean much to you because you have your own way of what seems right and logical. But what if you are wrong? You have been wrong in life... haven't you?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search