Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tav582 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2009, 02:42 PM
    Macbook won't boot after safe boot mode
    An intel-based Macbook running the latest version of Leopard will not boot after a safe boot. I held down shift to perform the safe boot. It apparently ran the diagnostics etc, and then came up with Safe Boot in red like it should. I then restarted and now I can't get past the gray Apple screen. It will stay on for a bit with the circular progress bar and then it shuts off. I can mount the disk via firewire mode on my Apple desktop, which is not running Leopard. The disk utility software will not verify the disk. This is my daughter's laptop who is home from college for the weekend and I need to get this fixed pronto. I do not think she has the original install disks with her.
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Apr 20, 2009, 12:29 PM

OK usually running "Repair Disk Permissions" and "Repair Disk" from Disk Utilities under Utilities inside the application folder will fix this. Now for the bad news you will need to run it from another Intel Mac on your mac running in Target Mode. Target mode turns a mac into a firewire drive and lets you run diognostic and disk utilities on the whole disk. To enter "Target Mode" hold down the "T" key while booting a blue screen with the firewire symbol will appear on the screen and you can hook your computer to another computer to run the programs. When finished unmount the drive you are working on and shutdown the computer in Target mode by holding down the power button. The computer should start normally afterwords. If not you will need to reload, I hope your daughter is running Time MAchine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GPO applied on 2nd boot, not on 1st boot [ 1 Answers ]

I am deploying IE7 via a GPO in a Windows 2003 domain. The policy works fine. But only on a second boot of the Windows XP clients. (WindowsXP only environment). This seems totally silly to me. Shouldn't all policies be applied on every boot? :confused: How can I force the policy to be applied on...

Computer will not boot (Even in safe mode [ 4 Answers ]

Okay so I got this piece of crap self built computer, I've had some serious issues like accidentally erasing the HDD, frying the Motherboard, blower out the power supply. All my fault. So now Ive had this janky installation of Windows XP on my PC for about 10 months. The guy who had to fix it did...

Boot [ 2 Answers ]

My PC HP Compaq dx 6120 which has windows xp professional operating system does not start up or boot.When I dried to boot it beeps and followed by red light indicate at the right side near the start burton.How can I solve these problem? In Addition the beeps occur 25 times(five times then pauses...

Boot key [ 2 Answers ]

I need help in finding my boot key because I want to reboot my PC. How do you find your boot key? It does not show it on my PC when I switch it on. Thanks

Boot linux from an external hard drive dual boot? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I boot linex from an external hard drive dual boot. How do I do it ?

View more questions Search