Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    julia07efrain Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2009, 12:25 PM
    I would like to find some answers
    I'm barely turning 19 this month, and for a year now I have been having really heavy periods with blood clots. I went to the doctor a few times they told me that everything is OK and they out me on birth control which I stopped taking because it made everything worse. This months period freaked me out because a something large and hard that had a little string along with it just came out. It was approx. the size of a walnut and I'm not sure what it was but I know that if I go to the doctor they won't tell me what I have. I have tried different doctors already. Can anyone please give me some suggestions.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2009, 10:33 PM

Are you sexually active without protection?
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2009, 11:45 PM

You need to keep trying different doctors until you get an answer!

It could be a number of things and only a doctor can diagnose this for sure. Make notes of exactly what's going on so you can explain it the doctor (how heavy/ # pads per day, painful cramping, etc.).

If you are sexually active, they will need to do a battery of tests to rule out pregnancy, STDs, fibroids/cysts. Birth control pills can cause clotting but it's more likely if you're are a smoker and/or over the age of 35.

Please call a new doctor so that you can get some answers.
    Nestorian Posts: 978, Reputation: 152

Apr 12, 2009, 01:23 AM

Suggestion, when you go to talk to a new doctor, don't tell them any thing about other doctors you have seen. See some times doctors will simply assume that what ever the doctor before them says is the problem, then that is the problem. So if you see a new doctor, don['t tell them that other doctors think it's this or that, don't tell them you've already seen any one, until after they give you some tests and try to find answers. That way it's like starting fresh, and there are more possibilities to work through, but at least you can start to rule them out.

As for birth control, better talk to a doc about that ASAP, because you are messing with your hormons, and internal bodily functions. Very dangerous. Can affect everything from Mood, to period, energy levels, just to name a few.

Doctors may not think there is anything wrong, and maybe this is normal. Mind you, I don't know what your situation is. But by the sounds of things this is not. However, if you are sexually active, you may have had a natural abortion. This happens when you get pregnant but the body detects birth defects and so it gets rid of the baby, embrio, fetus or what ever you prefer to call it. I only know a small bit about this because a friend of mine had one and she described the same, or similar symptoms as you are. It may be something to look into. I realize you said you are having this for ayear, but if you've been sexually active for that year then it's a possibility; however, very remote. Unless you've been taking birth control, and especially if you've been drinking alcohol, doing drugs, or missing days.

I found something interesting in a book called, Merck Manual of Medical Information, No I'm not a doctor, but it may give you an idea what to watch for...
    "Firoids: A growth composed of muscle and fibous tissue that occurs in the wall of the uterus.
    Symptoms:
    Some times even if its large there are no symptoms. Symptoms may include heavey or prolonged menstral bleeding or, less often, bleeding between menstral periods; pain, pressure, or heaviness in the pelvic area during or between menstral periods; frequent urination, swelling of the abdomen; and rarely, infertility. The heavy bleeding can cause Anemia.
    Diagnosis:
    Diagnosis usually made during pelvic examination. Diagnosis confirmed by ultra sound scanning. They may also do a, endometrial biopsy, hysteroscopy, and a Pap test.

Dysmenorrhea:
    Symptoms: Pain in the lower abdomen, can extend into lower back and legs. The pain may consist of cramps that come and go or a dull constant ache. Pain starts shortly before or during mentral period. Headache, nausea, constipation or diarrhea, frequent urination. Occational vomitingThe pre menstral syndrome symptoms of irritability, nervousness, depression, and abdominal bloating may be present through part or all of the menstral period. Sometimes clots or pieces of bloody tissuefrom the lining of the uterus are expelled from the uterus, causing pain." (Note from Nestorian: This may be why you are getting clotting, and things with strings coming out.)

Ok so I have more but I need to take a deeper look at this stuff the print is super compressed and I'm not sure if it's worth telling you about. Any new infor, like Mood, emotional state, pains, smells, how your memory is, whether you get confused easily and so on. Really the more you tell us about yourself, the higher the probability is that we can give you an idea where to start looking. Still I think you should keep going to doctors, what we give you, print it off if you have to and learn it so when you go see the doctor, you can challenge them and force them to listen, because you will know that there are possibilities.

Take care.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Want my son back, I need to find the answers [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 13 year old son. His mom had custody. I had enrolled him in school, she was going to move him and asked me to sign the papers. I did not thinking anything was wrong. To my surprise I had actually signed away my rights to my son. :( She passed away October 2006 and my son ended up...

View more questions Search